My Photo Diary.

Sl!m

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice shots Sam.. Amusing, I got a 400D 2 weeks before I headed away on my trip - xmas day..

I got a 17-85mm Image Stabilising lens with it becuase I probably couldn't hold it still I think lol.. Might get a longer lens next.. this one is excellant though and would def recommend it if you were looking for an upgrade..

I got the 17-85 because it's providing me with a bit more long distance ability.. I think a 17-40 won't give me enough zoom.. oh well.. each to their own.. i've been extremely happy so far with it..

get the 17-40 f/4L.
I got the 17-85 because it's providing me with a bit more long distance ability..

Both are good lens's but most dont understand the difference inbetween the different series of lens's

Image stabilised lens's are really only benificial on the longer zoom units, it does not feature in many lens's under 70mm as at this range you can generally keep the camera still enough for enven a 1/2 second shot. Also in time you will have less use for the IS feature. My only IS lens is a 70-200 F2.8 LIS and its great for motorsport as it takes awsome panning shots...

So therefore if you were to have a 17-40mm there would be no need for IS and therefore the extra money gets spent of L series glass instread. In a perfect work we would all buy 5d's with 28-300mm LIS len's but not all of us have 9 grand...

So a 400D fitted with either a 17-85mm IS or a 17-40mm L series would both be great choices...

To be honest, we sell way more 17-40mm L series than the 17-85mm IS... Mainlly because the quality of the L series glass, also most people would but a 70-200 LIS as their second lens, as 40mm x 1.6 = 64mm in real terms which is plenty for portraits, landscapes & some minor macro work. I probablly use my 17-40 more than any other lens i own...

I got the 17-85 because it's providing me with a bit more long distance ability.. I think a 17-40 won't give me enough zoom.. oh well.. each to their own.. i've been extremely happy so far with it..

Cool. I ditched the 17-85 and got the 10-22 efs - 24-70L - 70-200L IS - 100 Macro 2.8 and next is the 100-400L IS :( I think that gives me pretty good coverage :laugh:

I'm no guru but here's what I'd say about these pics :(

davos3.jpg

Wrong time of day for this shot. With digital (particularly SLR's) you can take some of the best pics in conditions where you'd swear there wasn't nearly enough light. You said you have a tripod so don't be afraid of long exposures. Remote or cable shutter releases aren't dear and are very handy.

mona.jpg

This second shot is more a composition thing than anything. I like the idea, (same as a lot of band photos where the group has a clear front-man or leader) except in those shots, as with this one, everything should have a fairly similar exposure. Mona's 33 is good (but half in its own shadow) while the Supra is overcooked on the front and in shadow on the side.

JAMES3.jpg

This shot would be perfect if shot at the right time of day. I like the angle but the lighting is wrong. You can see the far left of the shot in bright sunlight. Again, don't be afraid of long exposures and late-in-the-day shooting.

james2.jpg

You know you're gonna crash into a wall, right? :mad: Make sure you don't show up in your own pics.

davos.jpg

Not a bad angle or shot. You need to be careful with higher ISO numbers that you don't get too underexposed or your shots will be too grainy or noisy as was suggested for this shot. Remember that clean body panels reflect objects very well and that number plates can be evil with flash or can just plain old over expose themselves from the avialable light. Love the Nismo's and Federal's!

james.jpg

Shadows ruined this pic but that's not the only problem. Always be aware of your surroundings and make sure that nothing is growing out of the roof, boot or bonnet. The number of photos I've seen taken at Wollongong's South Beach where the car has a boot or roof mounted lighthouse is incredible :laugh:

Hope this helps you.

Adrian

Hey Adrian, thanks heaps for the feedback mate :laugh: appreciate it

this was the first time I have taken photos of cars that were not just parked at a cruise, and it was kind of rushed, but i definatly learned alot about sun light and shadows from this day :(