SAU Community

Your Ecu Choice

Tofu

ECU  

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The very first prototype Wolf plug and play was controlling the 1st and still the fastest GTR 1/4pass in WA and the upgrades since then have been huge.The best ECU to use is the ECU your tuner uses.Theres a huge amount of cars doing very well on all the plugins on the market so if your happy with your prefered shop go with their ECU.

Just for the record I use a PFC, as that is what my tuna likes to tune...r :( and by "like" I mean proficient.

Slighly off topic but who had has the fastest GT-R pass at the plex???

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no reason you cant use an RB26 Djetro on an RB20 with only a little work,RB25 pfc swap over to Z32 300Zs with a little work so if you know a little about them then most 6 cyl Nissan plug in ECUs can be used on just about any of the Nissan models with a bit or swapping around of wires, sensors etc or complete wiring harness and some cases sensors on the older cars like early R31s etc.

Because they had no option when they tried to get Wolf and got told no and they can't tune them so the bandwagon had to follow. A lot of these cars haven't pulled those times since. A lot of quick cars running Wolf lately have been crashed at Plex... too fast maybe :O

Lets take a look at the faster efi'd cars of late

Josh's RB26 180 10.63 ......... djetro

Butters Silvia 10.82 ..........djetro

Bobbos 32 r 10.85 ..........djetro

Simons 32 R 10.92 ...........djetro

GTOBOOST gts4 10.92 ..........djetro

UDLOSE VLT 10.66 .........microtech

when they tried to get a wolf? wtf most never even considered some even pulled the dog out

Gareth Simpsons WRX 10.9 - motec

Brads low 11 second wrx which i wrote for psc - link

Sean Keatings low 11 second wrx which will be the next 10 second one in Perth without a doubt is pfc

Blaise paris is into the 11's on a fundamentally stock evo 8 mr with a motec.

Gav Beer will smash into the 10's with a pfc

Denver will do a 10 with rom and motec in future

Damo will do a 10... with pfc

fritters gtr will smash a 10 ... with a pfc

B0BB0 did an 11.1 while putting in as much effort as i do at work - ie none with a pfc.

Someone want to name the big name hitters running the almight wolf atm ?

I believe there is a whack of rapid cars being built locally atm - mostly running pfc djetro, theres a couple of autronic runners, and a motec or two.

As for super mega quick wolf powered s14's - shame he got smoked by 10 or more car lenghts by a shitty liberty running motec. Does that mean I will crash through the wall and not just into it with all the extra magical power I now have? Note im not having a go at Gregg, but if your going to use him to talk things up you need to ensure its actually achieved something other then doing big skids and losing to me at illegal drags.

Power is nothing without driveability and traction.

Next Nissan i go will be pfc.

Edited by teejay

S14 is one of a few very quick cars being written off before hitting the track lately. People building them too fast for themselves and not knowing how to drive them.

As for will do's, heard em before to see 12's.

i gotta agree with will do's being bugger all

it's nothing until it's done, not matter what's been done to it

but i also gotta agree that the majority of WA's fastest cars (if not all) are using a pfc or some variation or a motec

no howlin wolves in there

I would suggest that when you say something is 'better' than something else you should back that up with an explanation of why. Popularity is not neccessarily an indication of superiority... for example VHS vs beta video.

I have not had personal experience with either but from what i have seen the new wolfs have a lot of features, and certainly are certainly a lot more capable than the difference in price with a higher end autronic or motec would suggest. The only criticisms with any justification i have heard is a lack of load axis map points and the fact that the software is too complicated because on the number of features. I have played with the software and it seems ok but i can't comment on the load point thing.

The PFC seems more popular mostly due to the simplicity of installation and tuning rather than any technical reason, which is definitely something in its favor. Like others have said it really comes down to what the person tuning it is capable and what you are trying to do.

I a seriously considering a wolf at the moment and the amount of functionality is a real selling point to me... I like to be able to tinker and i think more features mean more flexibility to try thing later. If i had the money i would go for a motec with all the bells and whistles.

S14 is one of a few very quick cars being written off before hitting the track lately. People building them too fast for themselves and not knowing how to drive them.

As for will do's, heard em before to see 12's.

Thats funny, as it crashed at the plex, not before getting out there.

Oh and I destroyed it after it got back on the road from that accident.

what is exactly the technical reasons for the alleged crapness of the wolf

Bottom line arkon is that there aren't. As I and many others have said an ecus worth is in the tune. Just because it may not be so flash on one car and you might have chopped an 11bty kw car using a particular ecu doesn't mean that it won't work well on yours with a decent tune.

Any ecu is only as good as the tuner who touches the ecu.

End of the day you could be using a multi million dollar F1 ecu, if the person tuning it has no clue then your screwed.

Power FC is the most widely accepted ecu for Japanese cars in this country... anyone who cant tune one shouldnt be a tuner. You can go as far to say that they are the preferred ecu of many - and end of they day the easier the tuners job is the better then tune that will result.

I use a wolf and have had no real dramas with it, apart from when I was getting up for work at 4am in winter & it took a bit to start it up... When I finally get some bigger injectors (sooner rather than later), my car will see the drag strip.

at great risk.....

what is exactly the technical reasons for the alleged crapness of the wolf

It was a pretty bland and feature less ecu in its early varients, the v4 and now v5/500 have a few more added bonus's to them than the earlier versions..

But as for why most people/workshops didn't like it, tuning them takes/took a lot longer than most other ecu's, it was very time consuming to get right, and things like cold start took a lot of playing around to get it to a point the car would start every time without having to crank it for ages..

The other aspect as to why it has a bad rep in perth mainly is that the local support for it was somewhat lacking..

Add to that, most shops will not tune them anymore..

Im sure with the newer revisons and more features to come it may make a bit of a comeback, but options like the PFC, which is cheaper and a lot easier to tune will always proove a lot more popular with most users..

I do many ECUs every day finding all the current ECUs very good and tune around 30 Wa racecars and average around 3+ championships a year.It takes much more to win a seasons racing than run 1 or 2 drag passes between rebuilds.

We have many Wolfs on road and track cars with great results.The only problem with Wolfs is opposition shops dont want them out there even setting up faults to make the ECU look bad and then tell the customer the ECUs crap and has to be changed,good thing is most ring AEM and get sent to Topracing and often fixed fast in front of the owner so i can show them what had been done to make the car run poor.If anyone has any model Wolf and is told its no good bring the car to me and ill show you how good it can be.

As for the new V500? Anyone bagging them is telling you what they need to put you off as no one else has any idea on the yet so wait see how they go.PPl dont like it but ND4SPDs fastest passes were with the prototype GTR Wolf plug and play.

All modern ECUs work very well and im happy to tune any of them inc PFCs tuning many every week.All of WAs weaker tuners have faded away now so if your tuners been around for many years and still has a large work load he must be ok.

EDIT: Will remove that and just say, shows how much you know.

As Dad has said above, running 1 or 2 reasonable passes at the Plex and then rebuilding doesn't say anything. Tops has had several Wolf AND Pfc cars come in as they haven't got what they wanted and had the car fixed in front of them in around 15 minutes.

1 thing you really need to do as I suggested before is look into them yourself. Don't ask people what they want to bag as there is A LOT of politics in this. Speak to some tuners of them, ask what they think are good features and go with what you like and you believe to be value for money.

Edited by R31 Chick