JNR24

excelent just what I was hoping for

now I can use my s1 block just as it is

because it is just like brand new (96k one owner) :P

and stockymcstock what is your esimated power with this turbo

I was thinking of using a GT40 with a .96 exhaust

I have read on CalaisTurbo that many ppl are using the XR6 GT35s with success

Edited by DYNOBUSTER

well the 1.34 rear has similar flow specs to a .96 rear GT42 - which will support up to about 900hp. the ONLY reason i chose this turbo (apart from the fact that the new series GT wheels flog the shit out of T04's etc) is that the rear housing is roughly twice the size i would normally have chosen if i was matching a turbo on its own to this engine.

if i had to choose a turbo to suit the engine, it would be a GT35/40 1.06 rear (maybe .86 rear) without a doubt. as it was, i needed a turbo which would supply 500hp worth of air at about 8-9psi without being outside the surge line on the compressor map. this means i needed a big A/R on the compressor, but a smallish wheel. the rear, of course, had to be bloody massive otherwise it'd hit too hard and choke the top end. in the end the turbo came from rotormaster in VIC, apparently a few of the 13B rotaries like to use these as drag turbos.

apart from the 7psi as soon as my foot hits the floor, i'm hoping for full pressure from the turbo at about 3000rpm. cams might hold it back a little but i'm sure it'll be fine to potter around in, pick groceries up in etc :P

EDIT: cubes whack those photos into the DET guide if you want - but make sure you tell people that using a series one block will cost you a LOT in drill bits, taps and fittings! MUCH more than just buying a series 2 block would have. if i could start again, i would never ever had used a S1 block, too much rooting around.

Edited by StockyMcStock

Oil pump question guys.

What is involved in fitting an R33 oil pump? My understanding is that you need an adapter?

The Jun adapter has been mentioned and quoted at crazily high numbers like $600.

Is there any way around this?

Edited by MarkE

My understanding is that you need an adapter?

The Jun adapter has been mentioned and quoted at crazily high numbers like $600.

Is there any way around this?

Im using an R34 GTR oil pump with the JUN adaptor.

AS far as I know Greenline sell the adaptor for approx $200.

Other costs like machining/labour would add to the price but I dont see how it could cost alot more. I asked the question you are asking a few pages ago and found the answers myself.

I'm doing the machining/labour myself.

pheww.... finally finished reading all 140-something pages.

Im considering this convertion and there's a few questions that Im not clear about.

Im going to use R33 Series II head and parts, do the series II oil pump bolt on to the RB30 block or does it need the adapter?

Im going to use R33 4-speed Auto, will it bolt unto the RB30 with no problems?

If I wanted to be absolute cheap ass and just bolt the head unto the block with minimal work, what is the absolute least thing I should replace? Head gasket?

I'll probably go the forged pistons route probably Wiesco/Arias can anyone recommend me a shop that can supply these at a decent price?

guys ive run into a problem

which arias pistons did you guys use when using the R32 RB25DE head?

AP331231 - ARIAS FORGED PISTONS NISSAN / HOLDEN RB30DET TURBO 86.5MM BORE SUPPLIED WITH RINGS

AP331232 - ARIAS FORGED PISTONS NISSAN / HOLDEN RB30DET TURBO 87MM BORE SUPPLIED WITH RINGS

AP332104 - ARIAS FORGED PISTONS NISSAN RB30 CONVERSION WITH RB25DET HEAD 86.5MM BORE SUPPLIED WITH RINGS

AP340754 - ARIAS FORGED PISTONS RB30 NON-TURBO 86.5MM BORE SUPPLIED WITH RINGS

I've dropped the stock vg30det bb ceramic turbo on the rb30det.

Suprisingly mid range is much stronger, torque doesn't hit hard then accelerate at the same pace as the rb20det turbo did.

When the VG30DET turbo was on the rb20det mid range was really gutless, much less than the stock rb20det turbo, its interestering how its now the opposite.

Now it hits hard then comes on stronger and stronger.

The RB30DET has finally lots its diesel 3.0TDI feel. :)

It has made the exhaust deeper and slightly drony around 70-80km/h.

Overall I really like the way power comes on, the vg30det turbo is definitely a nice match to the 3ltr.

Power comes on hard around 2500rpm vs the rb20det turbo's 2000rpm. But its not like there is nothing under 2500rpm its still making really good power just much more linear.

It feels like it wants to rev now, I'll throw it on the dyno and get it tuned up within the next few weeks and see where peak power shifts too.

Another interestering observation is the turbo is so so quiet.

Possibly due to the compressor cover not containing the surge ring as the rb20det/rb25det turbos do?

The rb20det turbo used to make loud sucking psshhhhhh noises when on boost, this one only has a slight whistle. Similiar to how a vlt sounds.

I now feel like a much lesser hoon when overtaking or zipping out from the ending left lane. :P

Edited by Cubes