SAU Community

R33 Rb30 Conversion

JNR24

Mine doesn't cope well in peak hour traffic on a 40degree day with the a/c on.

When stationary for what feels like an eternity the engine temps slowly creep up. Once I begin moving even 5km/h engine temps drop rapidly.

OR... If I sit idling it at 1500rpm it keeps cool.

At idle the stock viscous fan just doesn't seem to suck enough air.

The ford fans have a high low setup which if setup correctly works well.

i have an on/off davies craig 16 incher on my VL with 25/30, the VL cooling system is arguably worse than the skyline ones i believe. i don't even run a shroud on mine, but have a 3 core VL turbo radiator. i have it set up so that it switches on at 85 degrees, and i've NEVER seen temps go above 89 even when fanging it up hill. does fine in hot, stop start traffic, temps never go above 86 in that case. seems to pull an absolute arseload of air.

When I had mine rebuild/ported polished I was told it had 35mm inlets and 29.5mm exhaust valves. When it got home I measured them and they were what I was told. Which I thought was strange as......... According to the R32 engine manual:

R32 RB26 - 35mm inlet, 30mm exhaust.

R32 RB25DE - 34mm inlet, 29mm on the exhaust.

I remember one measured his r33 rb25det valves and they came up as 34mm inlet and 29.5mm exhaust, I've measured an rb26 head that had 35mm inlet, 29.5mm exhaust yet another bloke has measured his rb26 head and told me they were 34.5mm inlet and 30mm exhaust. :P

There does seem to be a little variance. Probably just the tools used. A poor tradesman always blames his tools. lol

FYI, i've made a circut to run my 16" fan, however i have not used it yet. so it is not proven...

Anyway, My thoughts were to run the fan when it is required, and run half speed (or less) when not triggered by the ecu. The plan was to try and smooth out the heat cycles that would happen with the conventional on/off set up. Now to speed up the warming process, the 1/2 speed function will not happen until the fan has been triggered by the ecu when the engine reaches operating temp after start up.

Anyway, i'm useing a change over relay for the center of the system. As well as a normal relay. A diode (one way electrical valve) a fuse (for saftey)and to get the half speed function, a ballast resistor.

I'll post a picture of the circut later..

i need to find an ecu temp trigger, or make one!

Any thoughts on my project? :P

Mine doesn't cope well in peak hour traffic on a 40degree day with the a/c on.

When stationary for what feels like an eternity the engine temps slowly creep up. Once I begin moving even 5km/h engine temps drop rapidly.

OR... If I sit idling it at 1500rpm it keeps cool.

At idle the stock viscous fan just doesn't seem to suck enough air.

have you thought about changing to a rb25 fan, i have read many times that they draw more air than the rb20 fans

just an option.

Hi Guys,

I'm now a proud owner of an RB25/30. Got my baby back about 2 weeks ago and am now running her in. I've just got the standard 25 turbo in atm but I'm very impressed with the torque. Dan from Elite Racing Developments did a great job. Here's some pics.

post-28461-1170064757.jpg

post-28461-1170064779.jpg

woot congratulations nathan. Finally got it all done hey. Feels alot better then the 25 hey?

Oh got some pics of my rb25/30 also with the new dry sump setup.

post-12828-1170065294.jpg

post-12828-1170065367.jpg

post-12828-1170065757.jpg

post-12828-1170065793.jpg

post-12828-1170065816.jpg

post-12828-1170065846.jpg

post-12828-1170065863.jpg

post-12828-1170065893.jpg

post-12828-1170065939.jpg

Edited by r33_racer

Yeah its great, doing mountain runs in 4th and 5th easily. Huge difference and boost comes on so early ;)

I just need the turbo upgrade now.

Edited by Nate79

Thanks mate.

But i gotta give credit to SK for giving me the low down when we first started all this. Would have taken us longer to do it right if he hadnt said anything. Cheers Gary.

Edited by r33_racer