SAU Community

R34 Gtt Installing Hybrid Intercooler

Ryan.R34

Okay, here's me all excited and bum up installing my intercooler that came today. Now I have a problem though ... I have come to the stage of fitting the top pipe and the destructions say to "Trim the fan blades down !" but when I look at it and size it up, it's more like " Hack the fan blades to death ! "

So, the question is, cutting the blades down until the top pipe fits in nicely, will this raise my engine temp at all ? Seems to me there will not be much left of the fan if I do. Should I remove the fan and wack in some thermos instead ? :laugh:

DSC00124.jpg

DSC00129.jpg

i had to do thesame on my R33. What i did was to get a texter, and mark up the top of the fan to cut off. I did this by holding the texter fixed, and then rotating the blade. I did this at the top and then the from the side inside the engine bay. This gives you two lines and if you join them, you get a triangular shape, about 3*5cm. I then pulled the fan off, 4 bolts, and used a grinder with a very fibe cutting blade, and trimmed the blades. Cleaned them out with some sand paper, and hay presto. The fan is still very balanced, a little noisier, as the curved tipps stop cavitation.

Hope that helps

LOL just use the process of natural evolution... install the FMIC, close the bonnet and pray for the best. After 1000kms your fan will have either exploded or formed into a perfect shape for your FMIC Pipe :D

Nah, just mark it out with a pen and take bits off with a dremel... remember this though, take off LITTLE bits at a time... you would rather waste time doing little bits than to waste the fan / performance by taking of big bits.

My 2 c

PS: I am not liable for any damages caused with process #1

Hey ive had mine installed now for a few weeks, and i had to remove the neo cover, and trim the blades slightly,

i havent noticed any differnce what so ever in performance or engine temp.

post-21307-1170845638.jpg

Sweet thanks bud :D

EDIT: What did you do for a water bottle ?

it's not performance nor engine temp you'd be worried about bryn, it would be not trimming them evenly.. centrifigal forces on an unbalanced fan can get pretty carried away if you don't do it properly :S i managed to keep my piping out of the way with a bit of playing around, ended up throwing a zippy tie or two around where the L shaped pipe bolts to the drivers side of the head as my dodgy piping didn't come with the mount welded on, and accidently snapped it playing around in the engine bay with the engine running one night and the fan blades trimmed themselves perfectly on the sharp edge of the pipe clamp >_< good times, good times.. definently remove the neo cover though

EDIT: About the water bottle - he doesn't have one anymore :)

Hey ive had mine installed now for a few weeks, and i had to remove the neo cover, and trim the blades slightly,

i havent noticed any differnce what so ever in performance or engine temp.

post-21307-1170845638.jpg

Edited by aphid

R34GTTs will require you to either modify the stock washer bottle (which is a royal headf**k) or go and get an aftermarket replacement from Supercheap or similar.

We get a $30 generic one which fits next to the battery making it look rather OEM actually. I must say, the capacity of this is like 1L so don't expect the same amount of "squirt" as the stock item >_<

it's not performance nor engine temp you'd be worried about bryn, it would be not trimming them evenly.. centrifigal forces on an unbalanced fan can get pretty carried away if you don't do it properly :S i managed to keep my piping out of the way with a bit of playing around, ended up throwing a zippy tie or two around where the L shaped pipe bolts to the drivers side of the head as my dodgy piping didn't come with the mount welded on, and accidently snapped it playing around in the engine bay with the engine running one night and the fan blades trimmed themselves perfectly on the sharp edge of the pipe clamp :) good times, good times.. definently remove the neo cover though

EDIT: About the water bottle - he doesn't have one anymore :w00t:

Washer bottle will be installed on the other side... where stock cooler once was, once im bothered enough to take bumoer off again

hehehe self trimming fan :cheers:

so what u end up doin..?

the trim job or.. let her do her thing..?

u found no performance gain in having a FMIC? my GTir Saw a noticable gain.. some what 20kw ontop when she boosted to 16psi and advanced timing... but she used to have an old shitty top mount interwarmer with oil in it. :)

yay for rally cars.. mini GTR :)

Thanks guys I have finished it today, she's up and running. Didn't have to trim as mush as a thought. Neighbour thought I was a bit mad when i started the engine and held a sanding block to the edge of the fan :) this was after the beers kicked in. Looks KO to me .

hmm. on 12psi on the GTiR u get a nice boost in power. noticably quicker. on 12 it allowed me 2 pull 2 carlengths infront of my mates GTS25t running 14psi.. haha. and the 16 saw me over the horizon. so i guess the TMIC setup was just too wasted. maybe u dnt get power increase with the fmic. but cooler charged air should always give more power..

I have been out and about driving and noticed the difference, nothing astronomical but a definate difference.

At the same time paranoid about a hose/pipe blowing off, so I put my whole garage in the boot just incase :woot:

I will be going a new radiator and thermo fan next week getting rid of the MixMaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da00B05c8yU

Nothing yet bud , thinking of welding up an aluminium one. :) A Big sucker too, something that I can brew beer in. :woot: and link it to water spray for the FMIC aswell . Alot in the works for the grey matter.

Nothing yet bud , thinking of welding up an aluminium one. :) A Big sucker too, something that I can brew beer in. :woot: and link it to water spray for the FMIC aswell . Alot in the works for the grey matter.

Well if u do make something like that :) pm me as i will pay you for one the same :)

Looks good