SAU Community

3076r "j" Pipe

Overcenter

I have been really enjoying this site, lot's of good info. So I thought you guy may like to see some stuff I'm doing state side. We do not do a huge amount of RB stuff but, for some reason for the past month or so we have had 3 RB projects. Here it a "J" pipe I fabed for an R33 with a Internaly gated Garrett 3076R.

The jig I made to locate the factory DP location:

errb25jpipe4_full.jpg

errb25jpipe3_full.jpg

errb25jpipe2_full.jpg

The tacked up "J" pipe

errb25jpipe8_full.jpg

errb25jpipe9_full.jpg

errb25jpipe10_full.jpg

I expect someone will comment on the wastegate tube angle as it comes back into the “J”. I’m working on a better merge now. I also kicked the pipe closer to the block so it will work on left hand drive 240's

Edited by Overcenter

Hi , good to see people fabricaring RB bit Stateside . Is that the ATP flange plate you used ?

Also what do you think of the idea of sectioning the waste gat vent pipe lengthwise (sort of sideways "U" shape) and welding it along the side of the main dump tube ? Possibly more compact .

Thoughts ? Cheers Adrian .

Is that the ATP flange plate you used ?

Also what do you think of the idea of sectioning the waste gat vent pipe lengthwise (sort of sideways "U" shape) and welding it along the side of the main dump tube ? Possibly more compact .

Yep, its the ATP flange. I wanted to get the entery as far down stream as I could.

Thanks for the complements guys.

Edited by Overcenter

looks the goods, maybe shortening the 2nd section of the WG pipe will allow you to move things up further to get a smoother integration of the WG gasses.

This is why we need a fabrication section on the forum

*looks at signature

Wink wink nudge nudge

excellent work. You americans and your bling stainless. Cant stand stainless pipework, looks the shit for a few months then the heat kills it, it goes grey, loses its strength and looks. But very nice fab work.

excellent work. You americans and your bling stainless. Cant stand stainless pipework, looks the shit for a few months then the heat kills it, it goes grey, loses its strength and looks. But very nice fab work.

The cheap China stuff goes to hell fast. The Rath or Gibson 304L stuff we get here in the states fairs much better. Are drift cars 304L down pipes are still gold even after a season of abuse. On this years drift cars I'm staying with a 304L dump tube and 6061 T6 from the dump to the muffler. Time to shave some more weight out, I got last years S13 down to 2130 LBS.

The thing I worry about with the ATP flange is that the wastegate "hole" is not flush with the actual housing. When the flapper is slightly open, it'll create huge turbulence as it backs up behind the "lip" of the flange.

The thing I worry about with the ATP flange is that the wastegate "hole" is not flush with the actual housing. When the flapper is slightly open, it'll create huge turbulence as it backs up behind the "lip" of the flange.

My thoughts also..

However it 'may' be a good thing if the pressure within the scroll is blowing open the flap (boost drop), but bad if the wastegate is too small to pass the requried gas as not to creep boost.

The cheap China stuff goes to hell fast. The Rath or Gibson 304L stuff we get here in the states fairs much better. Are drift cars 304L down pipes are still gold even after a season of abuse. On this years drift cars I'm staying with a 304L dump tube and 6061 T6 from the dump to the muffler. Time to shave some more weight out, I got last years S13 down to 2130 LBS.

T6 as in ally pipe. What wall thickness do you use also?

How does that fair? With all the bumps and shocks from drifting or racing, it doesnt bend or distort maybe crack?

Edited by r33_racer

T6 as in ally pipe. What wall thickness do you use also?

How does that fair? With all the bumps and shocks from drifting or racing, it doesnt bend or distort maybe crack?

The aluminum holds up well, we even have a few guys that drive it on the street. On the drift cars I expect it to get busted up a bit more, unlike the drag, circuit and street cars. At $15 bucks a bend let it, I just do not care its better than $45 per bend in 304L. I use .065” wall and like I said it holds up well

Also in regards to the ATP flange, yes it does cause turbulence. Any internally gated turbo is just a compromise.

The XR6T 4ltr Ford Blokes over here have issues with their GT3540 internal gates overboosting, another bloke on this forum with his gt3540 int gate also has issues with over boosting on his 3ltr.

Creating more turbulence at the wastegate is only going to make boost creep worse, they need all the help they can get not to overboost, seperate wastegate pipe with a smooth merge. That being said I haven't seen the XR6T blokes running with split dumps, rather just the usual open mouth so possibly that is half the problem.

Have you enlarged the wastegate hole at all?

looks the goods, maybe shortening the 2nd section of the WG pipe will allow you to move things up further to get a smoother integration of the WG gasses.

This is why we need a fabrication section on the forum

*looks at signature

Wink wink nudge nudge

hmmmm. :happy:

The XR6T 4ltr Ford Blokes over here have issues with their GT3540 internal gates overboosting, another bloke on this forum with his gt3540 int gate also has issues with over boosting on his 3ltr.

Creating more turbulence at the wastegate is only going to make boost creep worse, they need all the help they can get not to overboost, seperate wastegate pipe with a smooth merge. That being said I haven't seen the XR6T blokes running with split dumps, rather just the usual open mouth so possibly that is half the problem.

Have you enlarged the wastegate hole at all?

Well, to try to combat the turbulence created down stream where the wastegate enters I left a .250 lip along the leading edge of the pipe. This will create a low pressure area across the mouth of the wastegate pipe and help with the turbulence. He is only going to run 15-16 psi. At what boost level are the XR6T and running into issues? The wastegate hole has not been enlarged.

Honestly, I despise internally gated turbos, but it is a more cost effective alternative vs a new mani.

304 "L" bends range from $45-65 us, the 3" bend I used here was $55 retail and the 2" was $48 retail.

Edited by Overcenter