SAU Community

Suspension Workshop/info Night At Heasmans - Bilstein In Sydney

Beer Baron

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great night (apart from the weather) - very informative and well presented.

Many thanks to Richard "Teh Baron," the Heaseman's crew and Gary for setting up and putting on the night.

It was a good night apart from the bad weather - although it was a fun trip up from Wollongong on the freeway.

Thanks again to Beer Baron and Gary for organising the event and to all of the staff from Heasmen's who gave up their time for us. I now have a much better understanding of suspension and shocks in particular.

Hey All,

On behalf of Bilstein, Heasmans et al. i'd like to thank everyone for coming and Richard for his organisation.

We hope you all had a good night, despite the terrible weather, and went away with a greater knowledge of shocks and suspension!

Anyway feel free to give us a call, PM me or email me if you have any shock, setup or suspension questions.

Cheers,

Jonathon

[email protected]

awww.. missed out! would have loved to have come, but i knew i wasnt sure i'd have my car back, and i didn't!! It would have been too hard getting there! I'll keep my eye out for other sessions like these!

nice work organising baron.. get to work organising the next one!

Great night.. Was interesting to see all the hundreds of combinations they can come up with..

Thanks to the guys at Heasmans for explaning everything to us in simple terms. :D

- Corinne

well I just spoke to Neil and they would be happy to run one again for us in the future sometime. Since we had 45 people interested but only around 25 turn up I'm sure we could fill another night maybe later on this year, or next year sometime for all those people who couldn't make it this time.

yeah, it's a bit tough for everyone to see at once, but I think doug did a pretty good job of trying to get people involved. it was more interactive and I guess was really driven by the questions people wanted to ask. I know I learnt a lot with doug about setting up the 'traction rods' in the rear end which was something I had no idea about previously. and he was keen to get a few different cars on there to give people a look at their set-up (which I thought was very generous). I can honestly say the best alignment I've had in the past was done at heasmans.

my car is going back to heasmans next week for some work after that. doug is going to try some stuff out for me with the traction rods. I will be keen to see what it's like as at the moment the rear end feels great but as soon as it brakes traction it goes into snap oversteer. partly due to the combo of big bars and big springs. had a massive moment in it last night in the wet which needed an huge armful of opposite lock and some rapid throttle control not to spin.

the sessions with paul and gary upstairs were great too and I learnt heaps about shock valving and how the shim stacks work. it re-inforced my belief that if you are looking to buy some shocks for the skyline and don't have mega bux to spend that some bilsteins from heasmans is the way to go. as they not only sell shocks, they make shocks and they know how to set-up the cars too.

All in all I was very happy with the way the night went. my only regret was I didn't try any of Paul's Chilli Prawns. haha.

anyway I hope you guys will support them as they are a great business and without customers putting money in their till they wouldn't be able to re-invest as much as they do in the motorsport community.

well I just spoke to Neil and they would be happy to run one again for us in the future sometime. Since we had 45 people interested but only around 25 turn up I'm sure we could fill another night maybe later on this year, or next year sometime for all those people who couldn't make it this time.

That would be awesome richard!! Hopefully i'll be able to make the next one :(

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• I've got 60L of e85 in there at the moment
    • Don't forget to make sure the tank is full to the brim before you try to replace the fuel pump too, that is an essential step.
    • No, 260RS/4wd stagea is 33 GTR/GTS4 double wishbone all round, not struts. The 2wd cars are confusingly strut front. At there rear there is one balljoint at the outer end of the lower control arm. If you have HICAS (my Stagea doesn't, but I think 260RS did, there will be a balljoint of sorts where the HICAS arm attaches to the rear of the hub At the front, there are ball joints either end of the lower control arm, plus the tie rod end for the steering arm
    • So, 2 months later, I just couldn't see any way to be happy with that tank setup. Basically the baffle area is too big and too leaky, the sender was miles off and the no low fuel light thing really bugs me. Other than the fact the fuel hat could safely supply enough power to the pump, it was worse than factory. Biggest thing that bugged me is it would still run out of fuel in medium-high g corners from about 1/4 tank down which is annoying when you are trying to have a zoom, not to mention potentially engine killing if it gets just the right amount of lean-ness....and we've got a few of those corners in our round trip to town (well, bunnings...) So, credit to Frenchy's, they have put together a much better designed setup with what is effectively an in tank surge setup.   As it happens the actual hat is the same, so I switched the fittings across, re-used the single 525 pump, and added a spare pierburg lift pump that I had (must remember to replace that stock, it was a spare for the race car). The only real work to get it all done was to add a second power and earth to the hat which I did by going from a single output to double output relay (very low draw on the lift pump) and also the sender unit that clips into the factory pump holder was again way too loose (so I re-used the 2mm shims from the previous setup). Finally, I added the low fuel light sender from the factory cradle. So....I'll report back how it handles low fuel, and if the sender has any relation to actual fuel level in the tank....
    • The price isn't the issue, it's how hard my fuel pump is to remove now. I fabricated a custom bracket so my pump sits on the very bottom of the tank (I ran the tank down to 5L remaining to test it, works well). But it is a fkn NIGHTMARE to get the pump down into the tank now =/ words can't describe how much I hate fighting with the fuel pump/hanger now. The other issue is reliability, I'm driving down for WTA in a couple of months, I'd be less then impressed if I was half way to Sydney from Brisbane and my pump fails again =/ The other issue I had was my car battery was slowly failing, with low battery voltage my fuel pump couldn't keep up with what the reg was asking from it. I've replaced the battery and my fuel pressure is back to being perfect.  As for the low voltage situation that killed my previous battery, I've got a 150amp alternator sitting on my desk waiting to go in. Fingers crossed that will sort that issue.