SAU Community

How Do You Rate The JJR Split Front And Dump Pipe?

jjrsplitdumprb.jpg

found here:

http://www.justjap.com/parts_nexhaust2.htm

I was wondering how you guys who know your biz rate this vs a say the batmbl ?

jjr = $270

batmbl = $440

dont see a nipple for the o2 sensor on batmbl but believe there since the issues with the first set etc. I realise the outlet on the turbo is only 2" wide but the 2" short run into the dump makes me wonder why.

Anyone fitted a jjr pipe ? modification an moving required like the batmbl or a nice "bolt-on" ?

what you guys think for 250rwkw application at the end of the build with a t3/t4e steel wheel hairdryer?

so nice an easy to stick the the t3 flange etc and internaly gated @ that. :P

Just looking at the build quality, I would rate it higher than some of the other split dump/front pipes going around, maybe EVEN the trader you have mentioned!!!!

I recently purchased a stainless split dump in a GB and was less than impressed with the quality of the item I received.

The welds around the dump flange had been MIG'd from the inside and there was a nice 3-4mm bead of weld around both the exhaust and wastegate flanges, reducing the size of each by around 1/2".

I fitted it up in its delivered state, but it was eating away at me and I am getting my car tuned this week, so I ripped it off and got a die grinder onto the welds to smooth it all out, then got it welded from the outside (as it should have been in the first place).

Also, the flanges weren't stainless and they had been sprayed with some type of heatproof paint, very roughly, so there was overspray all over the pipe. The wategate separator had been attached so there was a gap between it and the flange, resulting in me having to file 5mm of the top of the separator to stop it fouling on the exhaust housing. Quality work!!

Pics attached

post-8870-1171970894.jpg

post-8870-1171970912.jpg

post-8870-1171970928.jpg

after double checking out boss importing I noticed the weld on the inside of the dump right at the front. We should remember that both pictures are off websites and the actual item MAY not be as good as it looks in the photo's of thier adds. Seems like Im going to make the trip out to kirrawee an check out the jjr item though >:P.

but it does beg the question, was yours a one off.... becuase I have to admit I am seriously unimpressed with that workmenship mate. "I" can weld better than that... hell i'd say my misses blind old man could weld better an that but the truth is he can weld better than I can.

By the way... YOUR POST WAS SERIOUSLY HELPFUL DUDE!! thanks for taking the time mate.

il post some pics of an actuall jjr after i get back from kirawee this saturday.

Edited by gts-4 dreamer

I got a Boss Importing one and while I am very happy with it the welding and general finish could have been a lot better. I don't think it really impedes perfomance much, but it could have looked a bit prettier. :P It certainly was not as nice as the ones they had pictured on there web site. I guess you will find this with many products of this type though as they would always make a perfect example for their pictures.

Edited by JustinP

I have a batbml stainless spilt dump pipe.. I found the quailty to be pretty good..

I havnt had any problems with the built quailty of it at all.. Hasnt cracked etc etc.. Been a while now since i have had it..

Just wasnt impressed with the wastegate pipe hitting things..

Hes got a new design made up now so its all good.. But still touches the oil lines :P

Otherwise it does the job!! Does look pretty lol..

This is what i got:

post-12579-1171975424.jpg post-12579-1171975450.jpg

post-12579-1171975471.jpg post-12579-1171975498.jpg

Edit: Lazy-Bastard-- man yours looks horrible.. could be one off maybe?

Edited by siddr20

I bought one from batmbl and it fits perfectly flows well and has not cracked.

it did have heatproof overspray all over it and welds much like the one pictured perhaps a bit better.

The stainless was good quality and i have had another highly regarded fabricator say it looked like a nice bit of engineering.

so all up i was happy with it

The only issue I had with fitment was the wastegate separator fouling on the exhaust housing. Other than that it all bolted up nicely.

It's only been on for 3 months or so but I haven't had any issues with cracking etc.

My annoyance is mainly due to the fact that I paid top dollar(ish) prices for low quality workmanship.

Edit: siddr20: yours looks like the original design. Although there were fitment issues as I understand, the workmanship looks much better. At least it LOOKS like it's TIG welded.

I got a BATMBL one around OCt-November last year,

MINE FITTED PERFECTLY!.. everything lined up perfectly, o2 sensor was good position and mine dump wasn't touching the air con lines like others have mentioned.

BUT keep in mind the early BATMBL one's did have some issues which i can see from my one which i installed myself have all been CORRECTED.

my2c

i have had BATMBL dump/front pipes for about 4 years now

i got a bellmouth one when i got my car initially and then changed to a split one about a year ago

have had no problems whatsoever

so i can highly vouch for the quality there..

but then again i am a huge fan of justjap.com as they generally have great products at cheap prices and you are guaranteed customer service and support. i have had many (7 or 8) good dealings with justjap on ebay and by calling and speaking to darron.

so the choice is yours but don't sweat either way :sick:

Another issue i have is that the wastegate pipe touches or nearly touches the oil lines.. i think its the oil lines..

Now would this cause any issues??

I know the oil lines are so close to the manifold..

but with more heat from exhaust, will this crack the oil lines??

Please someone tell me the answer.. dont want to learn the hardway a few months down the track.

So far its all good..

i have had BATMBL dump/front pipes for about 4 years now

i got a bellmouth one when i got my car initially and then changed to a split one about a year ago

have had no problems whatsoever

so i can highly vouch for the quality there..

but then again i am a huge fan of justjap.com as they generally have great products at cheap prices and you are guaranteed customer service and support. i have had many (7 or 8) good dealings with justjap on ebay and by calling and speaking to darron.

so the choice is yours but don't sweat either way :P

Did you notice much of a difference going to the split one.

I've found that pretty much every just jap or xforce product has had a die grinder taken to all the internal welds so that the thing looks tidy. It prabably costs a dollar to do this in china, but it leaves a good impression.

If i were you lazy bastard, that thing would have been sent back. I've done better work myself and i suck at welding.

Oh, I also weld the inside of exhaust flanges rather than the outside (other than a few tacks) It just gives a tidier result i think and you can clean it up easily enough and your flange doesn't warp.

If i were you lazy bastard, that thing would have been sent back. I've done better work myself and i suck at welding.
Yes, I should have sent it back, but everyone else seemed happy enough with theirs, so I figured I was just being hyper-critical. Anyway, lesson learnt.

Is the point that it bulges from when you hit full boost (i.e. wastegate opens)? If so, sounds like a pretty good selling point for a split dump/front..

How long is the split?

have a look for yourself

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...st&id=53989

basically the buldge at the top wasn't there before the split dump went on..

the split is about 45cm long and joins later as it goes under the car (see pic someone else attached). i think any turbulence at the join is pretty far away from the turbo, and makes backpressure less of a problem than it would be if it were joining immediately (as in the bell-mouth style)

cheers,

Warren