SAU Community

Ot: Anyone Here Good With Dsl Routers?

Chris Rogers

as above really.

I have 3G net access in my new van and have it setup to route back to a server in teh workshop (it accesses a Quickbooks DB.) problem is this: marc (revhead) and myself cannot work out how to get through this DSL modem/router.

unit is a dynalink RTA100+.

the whole idea of this is to be able to invoice whilst I'm out and about and the wife have access to the books during the day (takes the load off me at night.) and be able to use it at the workshop as well with out ripping a PC out of the van to do it. (which I used to do daily.)

help! ($$ or booze supplied :laugh: )

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RTFM......

What in particular are you having problems with? Are you trying to setup a VPN?

did that. it make little sense to me and marc had issues as well.

we can see the data inbound on it but cannot forward it to the appropriate spot so it comes out and hits the server.

are you not able to route through the router to the destination on the server?

correct. the whole issue lies with port forwarding.

basically I'm looking for someone to come over and get it going for me.

Dynalink RTA100 is a pig of a router.

I cannot remember what configuration options they have anymore.

From what I gather you have the RTA100 at the workshop where your server is

If this is correct, do you have the computer at the workshop on a static IP?

If you do, what software are you using to remotely connect to said remote computer?

Depending on what software you have chosen, have you setup the relevant port forwards on the RTA100 to point to the remote computer?

PM me if you are completely stuck.

Dynalink RTA100 is a pig of a router.

I cannot remember what configuration options they have anymore.

From what I gather you have the RTA100 at the workshop where your server is

If this is correct, do you have the computer at the workshop on a static IP?

If you do, what software are you using to remotely connect to said remote computer?

Depending on what software you have chosen, have you setup the relevant port forwards on the RTA100 to point to the remote computer?

PM me if you are completely stuck.

correct. server is beside it. runs windows 2k3 server. I have a locked IP-first thing I did. remote PC accesses it via XPhome remote desktop. so from that end its a case of connecting to the 3G service and putting the IP and port in and hitting connect. I can do this and we saw the inbound data packets coming in a few at a time before it fell over and died.

would like to chat via phone if I could.

most of that looks familiar. the last few steps do not. we did get a reboot message though.

I'll have to go set the van up and have a fiddle.

MR benno,

still would like to have a chat.

most of that looks familiar. the last few steps do not. we did get a reboot message though.

I'll have to go set the van up and have a fiddle.

MR benno,

still would like to have a chat.

just looked at the static IP part. I have two. one for the physical internet addy and the one behind the router. so that part is correct.

keep in mind the other machine is on a 3g wireless network and not physically connected to this server.

I send all day working via a VPN, remote desktop (terminal server) and Citrix... have also used pcAnywhere and a number of other remote pc/connection apps. I'm not an expert, but PM me if you are still stuck.

one question, are you intending to print (invoices, etc) from/in your van? If your accounting software is back on your server at home, printing can be a real pain in the ass!! but there are a few tricks, etc. happy to help if needed. pm or sms me.

Dude I work at AAPT and have an emulator sitting RIGHT in front of me for the RTA100+ you should be able to access the modem interface screen using the IP address:

192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2 and then log in using the administrator details:

Username: admin

Password: admin

Unless you've set it to something else.

From the start page which by default should be quick configuration, purple background your gonna see a bunch of tabs up top.

Go to services then choose the sub heading Blocked Protocols, make sure nothing is blocked. Then click on IP filters, add a filter to allow information for inbound and outbound data on whatever port you have setup.

Then click on firewall and disable it, the firewall in these things is a f**king piece of shit, get some form of software based firewall for protection, piss all the onboard stuff off setup a dedicated port forward and make sure nothing is blocked you should have no dramas.

If you have done all that and still have trouble hit me up via PM i got endless documentation on these things and have worked with them for like 2 - 3 years, they are a sack of shit to be honest, do yourself a favour and grab a decent DSL modem/router, will solve so many issues.

I send all day working via a VPN, remote desktop (terminal server) and Citrix... have also used pcAnywhere and a number of other remote pc/connection apps. I'm not an expert, but PM me if you are still stuck.

one question, are you intending to print (invoices, etc) from/in your van? If your accounting software is back on your server at home, printing can be a real pain in the ass!! but there are a few tricks, etc. happy to help if needed. pm or sms me.

ta. you may hear from me tonight.

I know about the printing thing. already locked up one printer and had to reboot the server when I did it.

Dude I work at AAPT and have an emulator sitting RIGHT in front of me for the RTA100+ you should be able to access the modem interface screen using the IP address:

192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2 and then log in using the administrator details:

Username: admin

Password: admin

Unless you've set it to something else.

From the start page which by default should be quick configuration, purple background your gonna see a bunch of tabs up top.

Go to services then choose the sub heading Blocked Protocols, make sure nothing is blocked. Then click on IP filters, add a filter to allow information for inbound and outbound data on whatever port you have setup.

Then click on firewall and disable it, the firewall in these things is a f**king piece of shit, get some form of software based firewall for protection, piss all the onboard stuff off setup a dedicated port forward and make sure nothing is blocked you should have no dramas.

If you have done all that and still have trouble hit me up via PM i got endless documentation on these things and have worked with them for like 2 - 3 years, they are a sack of shit to be honest, do yourself a favour and grab a decent DSL modem/router, will solve so many issues.

tried all that last night- no dice. got a new one taht I pickup tonight. thanks for the help :laugh: