SAU Community

Reversing Camera

munchstagea

Munchstagea, where did you end up plugging your camera into?

AV input on the TV tuner box that lives in the passenger sider rear quarter panel.

Then switch the touch screen to VTR2 input and away you go.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I leave it on that setting all the time, if you read the complete thread you will find that the screen is actually disabled once you move out of park and into any driving gear, but there is a hardware solution... Getting the AV system to switch to VTR2 when you slot it into reverse would be a mammoth job unless you're an electronics engineer, it is just way to complicated to be worth while as far as I am concerned.

I only use the screen for the reversing camera and climate control, so I just set and forget. Gives a nice effect when driving forward too and is actually legal to have it on whilst moving as it is a driving aid.

The S1 and probably the S2 Stagea were never released with a factory reversing camera, so there are no standard features that make this an easy plug and play. 10 years ago a reversing camera was pretty high spec I think (even if they had the screens in there already).

Cheers

Luke

The s2 definitely came with a reverse camera optional extra in the automatics which over-rode whatever was on the screen when you put it in reverse to the camera, and then switched back to normal once out of reverse. (a pic of the cam is in this thred)

The s2 definitely came with a reverse camera optional extra in the automatics which over-rode whatever was on the screen when you put it in reverse to the camera, and then switched back to normal once out of reverse. (a pic of the cam is in this thred)

Don't think my S2 got that option although it has the navi screen, but with kids and a dog a reversing camera is definitely something that'll get me extra brownie points with the boss. But I think I'll be sending it away for someone to hook it up for me though, sounds quite complicated.

Edited by webng

That (camera) would have to be plugged in somewhere else then, the extra AV in on the Tuner is just that, nothing more. Suggest it uses a whole different system if it does what you're telling me, I found no evidence of anything like that within my system. Do you have a Series 2? That picture shows a camera with Nissan printed on it but I haven't heard of anyone in oz with one on theirs?

post-37588-1182506094_thumb.jpg

This is from the Series 2 optional parts catalogue.

It basically says: If the monitor is on and you shift to Reverse you will see a black & white image of the rear but even though you have the camera always be careful when reversing. :D

There is also a reverse signal wire on the multi av diagram which Chook posted earlier in this thread which I suspect has something to do with all of this...

easiest way would be to power 12v camera off the reverse light, directly or with a relay. Getting it to switch automatically on your screen would be tricky, would need someone with a factory camera to study. As said before, leave it on VTR2 all the time.

Off the topic, what's the trick, if any, to get your screen to stay off ? i can keep it off temporarily until i need to touch the screen/operate the air con etc, but then i have to go back into the menu to turn it off again.

by the way (a bit too late now) the easy way to get a tv screen working in any car while it is going, ie handbrake off - is to simply pull out the surround, get to the handbrake switch, and wire it up so that the car thinks it is always on.. And no, I haven't done it to our cars, as neither has a tv display..

Ian

Bit more complicated in the Autos, operates off transmission as well, requires an aftermarket harness to get it to operate on the move.

• 3 weeks later...
Mike,

What kind of Satnav/screen are you using?

mine is an aftermarket double din unit from hong kong has worked well and had no probs has input for reverse cam and input for gps a verry good setup for 450 ebay sells sim units

mine is an aftermarket double din unit from hong kong has worked well and had no probs has input for reverse cam and input for gps a verry good setup for 450 ebay sells sim units

Hey Mike,

Was your climate control controlled by the screen on your old satnav unit? If so what did you do when you connected the aftermarket din unit? Cheers, N.

Thanks Mike, will look into it!

Webng, My car too has that Navi screen thingy in it and so want to get rid of it.... need to find a climate control unit to replace it with, im assuming it would just plug straight in the existing loom?

Thanks Mike, will look into it!

Webng, My car too has that Navi screen thingy in it and so want to get rid of it.... need to find a climate control unit to replace it with, im assuming it would just plug straight in the existing loom?

I see, didn't even know there was such a thing available!

I see, didn't even know there was such a thing available!

was talkin to bryce and he has same deal.he is getting a standard climate controll unit which is a direct plug in and radio brackets from dodgy bros in qld i hope they dont bulshit to him about the quality of the goods they sell like they did to me from what i can make out u need brackets ac controll and face plate to suit as standard double din unit isnt as wide as the satnav setup.mine never had the satnav setup so it was plain sailing here........................ regards mike..................................

• 1 month later...