SAU Community

Reversing Camera

munchstagea

If I remove the Tape/Radio player from my Nav/TV/Climate and CD/Radio combo setup and relpace it with a decent CD/Radio will the Nav/TV/Climate Control will still work normally?

ant

Everything will still work apart from the CD player in the Navi unit as it feeds the audio through the factory head unit. If you are installing a new head you won't won't to use the old CD player anyway. I did find that when you don't have a disc in the Navi unit it displays a warning message on the screen which is annoying, I have an old disc in the player just to stop that showing up.

Luke

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did find that when you don't have a disc in the Navi unit it displays a warning message on the screen which is annoying, I have an old disc in the player just to stop that showing up.

Was wondering about that... I saw the warning message but had no idea what it was for.

My girlfriend sister will be here on the weekend and I know she speaks Japanese very well so I am hoping she can read the buttons and messages on the system.

Thanks Ant

• 5 months later...
Here is a pic of the standard air con wiring plug for the Stagea, couldnt find a pic of the NAVI unit one, and dont feel like pulling mine out tonight, so compare the plugs. Might also need to consider the surround and brackets.

Hi all, I am going down the path of the standard climate control conversion from Xanavi. I posted here about whether a standard unit would fit (no replies as of yet), and I have read all of this thread, and found the picture above most interesting...

I have a S2 (2000) auto, Prime Edition with all the electronics one could cram into a stagea, except for the reversing camera.

I bought a standard S2 climate control unit from a forum member, and I can't find any compatible plugs in the loom at the back of the centre console. Looking at Chook's pic' of a S2 standard climate control's connectors, I am beginning to suspect that mine is perhaps a S1 climate control, and the plugs were different. It's difficult to see enough detail in the pic' but it may be different (certainly the plugs are a different colour to mine) what do you know/think - are they different?

post-32445-1207664831_thumb.jpg

Sorry can't work out how to attach Chook's pic, it's here

If there's any other information/pic's that might help please let me know, I have everything apart at the moment...

Here is a pic of the standard air con wiring plug for the Stagea, couldnt find a pic of the NAVI unit one, and dont feel like pulling mine out tonight, so compare the plugs. Might also need to consider the surround and brackets.

This pic' (the one that's in the original post and won't show up when I use the reply button - dammit) came off the Yahoo Jap auction site here which says "Model year: Feb 1997" so that supports my theory that S1 and S2 are different...

Edited by DaveB

Thanks Ed... hmmm.... well it says 'year 1999', but I think something's a bit fishy because the model numbers on the back are all wrong (by my reckoning) and it has the same plugs as all the "series 1" units I have found. The model numbers (version number?) 0V000 for instance - I see 0V500 or 0V502 on all the "series 2" units, and they have the series 2 plugs. Plus '2C800' becomes '2Y460' on "series 2's", and '7C 06' is usually a higher letter/number combination ie. on mine it's '8C 16'.

Of course I could be completely wrong here, but I think series 1/2 are unique due to their plugs being different, and I am pretty sure the unit I have is from a series 2, and therefore also pretty sure of what the series 2 plugs look like.... at the very least, there are two different plugs: one black x 2 ("series 1"), the other white x 2 ("series 2").

I'll try to summarise some of the examples I've looked at on auction sites here, these links/pics should be available for a few days ("example" links are clickable)...

Evidence follows to support my theory (appologies for post length)

"Series 1"s

example 1

600x450-2008030500054.jpg600x450-2008030500055.jpg

example 2

600x450-2008010800007.jpg600x450-2008010800008.jpg600x450-2008010800009.jpg

example 3

600x450-101.jpg600x450-102.jpg

example 4

vehicle2002_pro-img600x450-1205398748img_2055.jpgvehicle2002_pro-img600x450-1205398761img_2056.jpg

example 5

cdpys225-img600x450-1206660828pict0031.jpgcdpys225-img600x450-1206660860pict0032.jpg

example 6

naonaosaesae-img600x450-1206605243dsc00056.jpgnaonaosaesae-img600x450-1206605247dsc00057.jpgnaonaosaesae-img600x450-1206605250dsc00058.jpg

example 7

margarette52526-img600x450-1161072019stagea_048.jpgmargarette52526-img600x450-1161072030stagea_049.jpg

example 8

kmnk1075-img600x450-12064356022.jpgkmnk1075-img600x450-12064356073.jpg

(odd one out due to year claimed to be '99 :banana: )

"Series 2"s

example 1

serf_employed-img600x450-1198152822sany0013.jpgserf_employed-img600x450-1198152837sany0014.jpg

example 2

naonaosaesae-img600x450-1204794397dsc00021.jpgnaonaosaesae-img600x450-1204794401dsc00023.jpg

example 3

600x450-2008030500004.jpg600x450-2008030500005.jpg600x450-2008030500006.jpg

example 4

cdpys225-img600x450-1207633246pict0053.jpgcdpys225-img600x450-1207633276pict0056.jpg

example 5

std_unit_plug_600.jpgstd_unit_back_600.jpg

And just for reference

S2 Xanavi unit (climate control plugs):

xanavi_plugs.jpg

Soooo.... everyone else spot the common trait of these little suckers having: A) different plugs and B) earlier/lower numbered markings on the back re. the "0v000" vs. "0v50[0/2]" thing etc ?

I also notice that the bottom of the left-hand socket in the back of the "series 1" climate control units often has a spot of purple paint :/

Edited by DaveB

Picked up a pretty neat Panasonic reverse camera today (in Japan), measures 21mm sq, available in black or silver, with white, red or blue facias available.

post-780-1207832821_thumb.jpg

post-780-1207832896_thumb.jpg

Picked up a pretty neat Panasonic reverse camera today (in Japan), measures 21mm sq, available in black or silver, with white, red or blue facias available.

Cool! is it a custom harness to suit stageas (and of course NTSC) and is it in colour or black & white?

Cool !

Would be nice to have one of them - is it possible to get them (from) here ??

• 2 weeks later...

Reverse cam installed today, only modifications were a 10mm hole with grommet just above the cam behind the plastic and a slight recess in the plastic to let the cable through from cam to grommet. Everything else was straight forward, tapped into reverse light wire inside boot, ran it and video cable down boot, through rubber separator, into control unit and then to TV tuner. Camera only required 3 wires, one to reverse light, earth and rca video. Camera comes on automatically when reverse is selected. No more backing into my trailer i hope.

http://panasonic.jp/car/navi/products/camera/CY-RC50D.html

post-780-1208842721_thumb.jpg

Reverse cam installed today, only modifications were a 10mm hole with grommet just above the cam behind the plastic and a slight recess in the plastic to let the cable through from cam to grommet. Everything else was straight forward, tapped into reverse light wire inside boot, ran it and video cable down boot, through rubber separator, into control unit and then to TV tuner. Camera only required 3 wires, one to reverse light, earth and rca video. Camera comes on automatically when reverse is selected. No more backing into my trailer i hope.

http://panasonic.jp/car/navi/products/camera/CY-RC50D.html

Cool, looks very tidy! Did you have much trouble getting the cable for the camera through the tube that carries wires out of the cabin into the top of the boot door (if you know the ones I mean - I presume you used the left-hand one)?

Cool, looks very tidy! Did you have much trouble getting the cable for the camera through the tube that carries wires out of the cabin into the top of the boot door (if you know the ones I mean - I presume you used the left-hand one)?

Not a prob, yes left one, sprayed some silicon to help it slide through.

Hi Chook

Got your parcel today and will put it back in the mail to you monday. I don't like posting things over weekends if I can avoid it. And thanks.

On the reverse camera, Does the one you installed have the special reverse function or is that function controlled by the TV tuner? (ie, that it turns on automatically when in reverse)

Would the ones off ebay work OK and switch automatically? I was looking at this one as it is available locally and quit small.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...A:IT&ih=025

Cheers

Andy

The panasonic one uses power from the reverse light, so only powered when in reverse (which they all could do i suppose), saving wear and tear(and also a much neater installation). But i am using my tv tuner to switch the screen by connecting the orange wire on the TV tuner to the reverse light, this will automatically switch the tuner to AV1 (reverse cam). So the whole thing only operates if the TV tuner is on. One thing I have noticed, is that it also works well in the dark, seems to enhance the pic somehow for low light.

Easy enough to do without a tuner, just connect straight to your AV1 in back and power from reverse light.

You have one problem with this camera, it is PAL, you will need an NTSC cam.

cheers

The panasonic one uses power from the reverse light, so only powered when in reverse (which they all could do i suppose), saving wear and tear(and also a much neater installation). But i am using my tv tuner to switch the screen by connecting the orange wire on the TV tuner to the reverse light, this will automatically switch the tuner to AV1 (reverse cam). So the whole thing only operates if the TV tuner is on. One thing I have noticed, is that it also works well in the dark, seems to enhance the pic somehow for low light.

Easy enough to do without a tuner, just connect straight to your AV1 in back and power from reverse light.

You have one problem with this camera, it is PAL, you will need an NTSC cam.

cheers

Thax for that Chook. I realised it was PAL as i posted it but I am trying to find a ceaper option as the Panasonic one is Aust is $435 RRP!!!

Cheers

Andy

Thax for that Chook. I realised it was PAL as i posted it but I am trying to find a ceaper option as the Panasonic one is Aust is $435 RRP!!!

Cheers

Andy

I have a contact in japan, could source one for $250 delivered.

Installed my reversing camera today. Series 1 4WD Auto.

Went well so I took pictures to show a few steps.

post-43655-1209031430_thumb.jpg

post-43655-1209031445_thumb.jpg

post-43655-1209031461_thumb.jpg

post-43655-1209031478_thumb.jpg

post-43655-1209031494_thumb.jpg

This went faily easy... as the forum topic has outlined.

I got a picture on AV2 straight away. As soon as I moved out of the driveway it turned off the picture and then when I stopped the picture returned.

This has been out lined as well and Chook has found a cheater pluggin to fix this problem.

I was thinking about this after I had finished and remembered seeing a switch behind the head unit when I put in a new CD player. I removed the unit and dug it out again.

post-43655-1209031513_thumb.jpg

It says On and Off... but also on the sticker on the left says Navi <=> TV.

What do you know... in one position as soon as the car starts to move the screen turns off... but in the other position the screen stays on and I can drive with the rearview camera always on.

Now my Nav/CD player was all original when I got the car so as far as I know what was added is either factory or done in Japan aftermarket. The switch comes out of the Screen part of the head unit and doesn't look anything but standard.

So those who are thinking of this should have a look for a switch like what I have.

Antony