SAU Community

Looking To Buy A Rx7 Fd Or Gtr

hey everyone.

Over the past 2 weeks i have been reading and researching about RX7 FD and i am quite tempted to buy one.

My only drama is that i am a bar tender and dont earn a million dollars a week.

I would love to have it as my daily driver but i am concerned that the cost of keeping it on the road would send me broke.

I have been looking at FD's and the ones that i have found that are for sale in my price range have single turbo conversions and rebuilt engines (3mm seals and the whole lot). They are also series 6's and around the 93 to 94 cars. (would love to buy PAZZO_RX2 RX7 but i doubt he will accept my offer of cash)

I have also been looking at 32GTR's that are fully rebuilt and are monster built from the ground up. Which tend to be awesome and prefect cars. Lots of power and can be daily drivers with ease.

I have around that $27k mark to spend ( i may have alittle more if i can find a FD or GTR that is of the highest quality for me to buy).

I was hoping to get some help and advice on how much a FD would cost me to keep, drive and maintain.

Please consider the following:

Insurance - must have insurance on a FD as they are stunning cars, also GTR are mechanically perfect so also would need it!

Servicing

Rebuilds

Petrol

Everyday maintainance.

And any helpful tips or advice you can offer me would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking to buy a car sometime this week so i am hoping that peopel can get back to me ASAP.

Thankyou and help is greatly appreciated.

Jake

Edited by jakegts

thats actually a tough decision to make mate, i feel your pain. you'll have alot of guys supporting the 32gtr's but they are getting a little old and its quite hard to find one in the condition you're looking for.

bottom line is go have a look at whats available, look in the for sale section in the forum too, have a drive of both and see which fits you better.

although my vote is with the FD.

DO NOT buy a rotor... every one i know has regreted it and end up muttering to themselves how much the thing is costing them in upkeep. That said GTR's arnt cheap to keep either but at least you'll only rebuilt the RB once.

If you want FD advice isnt there a rotor furum you can quiz? im sure they'll know 70 billion times more than skyline owners

That said no car is sexier than an FD, so buy a shell and drop in RB powah!! best of both worlds

He has posted on Ausrotary and received a similarly unbiased response.

My vote is for the GTR, I made that decision myself recently and chose the GTR and couldn't be happier.

couple of my mates have owned and some still do have rotors,daily driver is something these ones never where,and still wasnt on the rd much..

gtr ftw

if u set a budget i will say GTR, i drove the FD 2000 model before and is awsome. but the fuel will killing you. is a good thing FD is not much around.

Good luck in the decision.

I havent owned a fd, but did have a fairly modified fc as a daily

Dont believe the bullshit you hear about them needing a rebuild every 6 months. Mine did 200,000ks before it even needed a rebuild, and it was done only as a precaution. Fuel is a killer with rotaries, they use much more than a skyline. They are a great looking car, easy to get power out of, and much cheaper to rebuild - i bought a block package for around 3k - ported, hurley seals - just needed the bolt ons and it could have easy gone to 500kw. They are a true enthusiasts car, and need to be looked after

Ive had my r33 gtst for 6 months now and again, its not the same but i think its quite a good daily driver, much better than the fc was. Fuel consumption is much less, its very comfortable, roomier and modern inside, also easy to get power out of, but more expensive to rebuild than a rotary.

I reckon test drive both and then you will decide which one is best

they are both amazing cars. FD RX-7s are a truly great japanese sports car. GTR is too. to be honest if you can't spare around $1000 a month to run the car then either one is not a good choice. Far better to look at an S15 Silvia. Still a fast, nice looking car, but much more reasonable to insure, fuel, repair and modify. then buy the FD or GTR (or both!) when you are at a point in life with more $$$.

well im going to get a fd after my 32 gtr.

it really depends if ur gna have the fd modded. im keeping my fun to the 32 gtr, and going to have a fairly stock fd in future. i read on ausrotary forum previously that you can mess with the a/f ratios on a fd really quickly even by just a catback, needs a tune with every powerful mod.

check out ausrotary forums :)

fd is a sexy car no doubt....friend of mine had one and it was alot of maintanance and went through fuel bad.... and it wasnt his daily...... id have to go the gtr...

• 2 weeks later...

i had the exact dilemma it was either a series 7 or a r33 gtr

i was so close on getting the fd but as soon as i test drove the gtr my mind was set.

the gtr just felt beasty, and had alot more room, as in perfromance wise there are both good but i just love the pull of a gtr.

i think you should at least test drive both cars then you would know what you want.

goodluck!