SAU Community

Guide to Changing R32 Headlight Globes

red17

OK, ive read recently that people have had trouble doing this. And in a way its understandable considering the cramped space at the front of a 32. I went through the process this morning and it took me about 45 minutes all up, including going to coventries and buy a pair of new globes.

Removing the broken one

I had to do this in the dark last night so it was even harder, but it still didnt take long. The main beams are relatively easy, the high beams are not (i wouldnt like to even attempt those in daylight!).

If your blown beam is on the battery side you will have to undo the battery clamp on the top (10mm spanner) and push the battery backwards to get yourself a bit of manouvering space. I didnt have to remove my battery to do it.

First up remove the locking collar around the back of the light, this should move about a 1/4 of a turn before coming off. Then you will find a rubber seal with the plug in the middle. Now pull the plug off, this is very difficult, 1 of the vertical prongs is bent slightly from the factory to ensure the plug doesnt come off easily (i realised this when i saw the prong on my new globes was also bent).

Now you can be fairly brutal trying to get this plug off, the whole globe might move around a bit but thats ok. Push the rubber seal back a bit to see how your progressing, one side will come off easily, but the side with the bent prong might be more difficult. Get yourself a screwdriver if you have to, but be VERY careful you dont break the plug housing.

Once the plug is off, remove the rubber surround and you will see the globe and 2 circlip thingy's at the bottom, these need to be squeezed TOGETHER to get them out. The circlip is built into the rear of the globe. If its easier you can get one side out at a time. I found it relatively easy to do (not so much in the dark tho! :()

Purchase of Globes

Now, go down to your local auto store (in daylight! :() with your blown one preferably and ask for new ones (always replace globes in pairs!). Your looking for a globe like this:

http://www.hella.com.au/cgi-bin/catalogue....view&flmaint=18

This is a H1 Xenon which plugs into the housing which has the circlip built into it. You shouldnt have to buy new rear sections unless some nasty metling has occured.

I purchased some Philips Blue Vision 55W (Part No: HI 12258 BV(DB)) for $36 from Coventry's. These are a particularly good buy because they include a pair of blue parkers to match. Now be sure to match the wattage to what you currently have installed, if you get more powerful bulbs you run the risk of damaging wiring (and even a risk of electrical fire!). So these blue PIAA bulbs at your local tuning shop may look cool, but be aware of the wattage ratings.

Also be aware of cheaper brands which dont last as long and arent as bright.

Fitting the new ones

This is pretty much the reverse of taking the globes out except its EASIER! No need to fiddle with that circlip, just push it into the housing and it clicks into place.

First fit the rubber surround to the rear section of the globe, then plug in your new globe to the top of it. Push it into the headlight housing until it clicks into place and fit the rubber surround up properly. Then whack the locking collar over the plug (IMPORTANT! You dont want to have to take that plug off AGAIN just to fit the locking collar). Stick the plug on and lock the collar! Youre done!

Now the passenger side is ALOT easier than the battery side, plenty of room for you guys with big hands.

Also if youve only blown one globe, its a good idea not to touch the end of the good globe you have so you can use it as a spare to get you out of trouble when you need it. If you buy the Philips like me, they come in a nice hard plastic case which is good for storage in your glovebox.

Hope this helps any of you 32 owners who've had problems in the past. Its a job that any of us are capable of without any special tools required. As for the high beams? Well these look very hard and im yet to have to tackle them. Lets hope I never blow one ;)

If ive missed anything then please add where needed.

Red17

• 3 weeks later...

can u post a pic of what ur headlight looks like with them globes .. i've tried a few globes now on my 33 but its still not the colour i want .. i want a white with a really really blue surrounding colour if u know what i mean ...

Hippy, you aren't likely to get the blue surrounding colour because you have series 1 headlights which have very thick diffusers. You'll probably need series 2 lights with the clear lenses to get that effect.

• 1 year later...

anyone know how to change the height of the light.. mine are too much towards the ground. i remember there should be like 2 screws to tilt them up and down.

anyone help?

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

i changed mine today.. think i turned em both anti clockwise.. 2 screws behind the main beam (low).. shine against a straight wall.. and do it that way.. my low beams r perfect but my highbeams hit the ground approx 3m ahead of car lol.. USELESS! i dnt have time to much around with lights..

• 1 year later...

thanks for the writeup.

Just changed my globes in my r32. Phillips chromium white 4200k bulbs ~ $100 pair

Would be better if this could be moved to Tutorial section.

- Patrick