SAU Community

Exhaust Manifold Studs And Gaskets Etc...changing Turbo To A Highflow

Hi there,

Just in the process of doing a turbo change

2 issues that I would like some opinions on:

1. 2 missing exhaust manifold studs.

I notice some people say to leave them as they break almost straight away after replacing anyway. The top stud on no. 1 and no.6 are missing (broken off inside) but the no.1 shows evidence of some leakage.

Should I just replace the studs that are missing, as I may cause other problems replacing ones that are ok or replace all of them or leave it as is and hope it doesn't leak anymore.

Anybody left theres like this and found it to be ok?

I hear the rb30 manifold gaskets fit if you trim a little - is that true?

Can anyone recommend a stud remover bloke?

studskf3.jpg

2. Turbo gasket seal

I have reused the dump pipe one beofre and that was till ok (they are a metal gasket)..

I'm thinking of reusing the manifold to turbo one - is that what most people do?

I will have to get the water seal for the bottom side of the turbo...anybody know how much these are?

Is GCG the best place to get them or anywhere else in Sydney..

Thanks!

sealsbt9.jpg

Edited by benl1981

i would replace ALL the studs, and ALL the gaskets while you are there.

Your likely to snap at least one or two, its just how it is.

But its better to replace them now than in the not-to-distant future as its likely others will break if you already have busted/bad condition ones.

definitely do the exhaust mani studs. Once you hvae the turbo off, it'll be so much easier.

No point doing things twice. I reckon you'll break about 3-5 more studs if you don't have an oxy torch, or even if you do, you still might.

That's not true about them breaking at all. I have a sII in perfect condition. I haven't tocuhed the studs, and they're all still there (from factory).

replace them all, they're cheap. You'd literally smash your head on the wall, if you skimp on $20 and had to spend a few days pulling it down again because you didn't replace them all.

your mani will most liekly be warped, so you'll need to get it machined flat again,

rb30 gaskets fit, but you hvae to cut each port and use it separately. I'd just go genuine nissan, because those aftermarket gaskets are shit. gonna save $50 and have to spend 3 days doing it again and breaking more studs and having to pay someone to extract it again?

Before someone laughs at you - that's not a water gasket. It's the oil return line. nissan

Edited by MANWHORE

thanks. Yeah - oil line sorry. It heads into the sump so yeah...

I might replace the hose from the oil line drain to the sump also and put some now clamps on it. Might take it off and see if Pirtek have something similar...

Anyone else found something suitable?

I think I will do it all now..like you say it would be bad to wack it all together and find out I have issues later..

Manwhore - do you usually reuse your manifold to turbo gaskets?

Cheers

That hose is a special high temp oil resistant hose. I'd get one from nissan if yours is perished.

It depends on the condition of it. The stock gasket is a copper/metal gasket and it is very good. I wouldn't substitute it with those crappy foil with goo squish aftermarket gaskets.

If it's in good nic, i reuse it. Speaking of which, I reuse a lot of stuff on my car, because it's done about 40 000 ks genuine (bought from someone I knew in japan), so most of the stuff is hardly worn.

I reused the gasket, because it looked brand new almost. I also reused the rubber hose, because it was in top shape.

When we changed my friend's r32 turbo, the gasket literally fell into pieces. Use your judgement.

Is your rubber perished and cracked when you squeeze it? or is it ok? it's not really in a hard position to change afterwards (accessible from under the car), so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

I have had 5 x Skylines (inc 1 x Stagea) and every one of them had broken exhaust manifold to head studs. Just because they are there, doesn't mean that they aren't broken. The exhaust deposits build up around them and stop them falling out. They break off flush with the head, at the thread to shank joint (as usual) and are a bitch to remove. Drill and easy out being the only method I know. If you do replace them, make sure you Locktite the new ones into the head.

:D cheers :D

Give Mr, Enforcer a ring as he knows a guy who can come to your location if in sydney to do your studs.Believe me,I`ve been down that road and better to do it once.If you have had the turbo off before then replace all gaskets.The turbo to dump can crack and the copper washers can too if used too often.

I have had 5 x Skylines (inc 1 x Stagea) and every one of them had broken exhaust manifold to head studs. Just because they are there, doesn't mean that they aren't broken. The exhaust deposits build up around them and stop them falling out. They break off flush with the head, at the thread to shank joint (as usual) and are a bitch to remove. Drill and easy out being the only method I know. If you do replace them, make sure you Locktite the new ones into the head.

:D cheers :D

And there you go, I thought about loctite and decided to go the other way. I used nickelcote. My thoughts were if these bust, I want to be able to get them out. My understanding is that they don't work loose [but you have to check them as the gasket/manifold settles in], if anything, they snap off. Note however that I had none snapped, they all came out without any problems, they all looked in very good condition, but I replaced them anyway. My car has 62k on it, but like many the mileage can be questioned [although I gotta say it certainly looks like sfa]. And I used genuine nissan parts, inc. gasket.

Guess I'll see what the results are down the track.

PS I didn't have a problem, I'm just changing manifolds and turbo's etc.

PPS Jeez I hate doing something against SK's advise, makes me think I've got it wrong!!!

Ok. I got all the studs out except the already snapped ones.

1. The paper gasket on the oil return line (i incorrectly marked it in the pic as water) is that available anywhere? The nissan dealership/spares I called couldnt help. I would rather get the genuine part..If not I guess I'll have to buy some gasket paper.

What does everyone else do?

2. Is there any risk in re-using the turbo to manifold gasket? I hear the nissan one is a lot better than even the GCG one they provide...mine appears ok to look at. Quite thick metal..

1. Just use gasket paper, it's not like it has to perform the most complicated task.

2. Risk: Slight chance it might leak (unlikely IMO) worse case you have to put a new gasket in. but it should be perfectly ok, everyone that uses a slide hi-flow generally reuse this gasket

If your worried about re using the gasket, hit it with some coppercote head/manifold spray.

Ok. I got all the studs out except the already snapped ones.

1. The paper gasket on the oil return line (i incorrectly marked it in the pic as water) is that available anywhere? The nissan dealership/spares I called couldnt help. I would rather get the genuine part..If not I guess I'll have to buy some gasket paper.

What does everyone else do?

2. Is there any risk in re-using the turbo to manifold gasket? I hear the nissan one is a lot better than even the GCG one they provide...mine appears ok to look at. Quite thick metal..

do NOT use gasket paper. Gasket paper is obviously not oil resistant. The oil just soaks through it.

you can buy them from nissan. Can you reuse your old one? can you get it off without breakingn it? I've got a couple second hand ones here in good nick if you have trouble.

Sydneykid - the studs are there, and they're not broken. They're not just sitting there.

best way i know of removing broken studs is to weld a nut onto it. If the stud snapped, that means it's seized in. Unless if the person really knows what they're doing, they'll snap the easyout in there.

if the whole big stud snapped, what chance does an easy out haev?

Welding with a tig is very hot and can help break the bond firstly. Even if the nut comes off, just keep welding it till it comes off.

do NOT use gasket paper. Gasket paper is obviously not oil resistant. The oil just soaks through it.

???

What do you think the Nissan oil gaskets are made out of...

I think the correct word for the 'Gasket paper' is oil jointing paper. But Repco or however are going to get the point when you ask for gasket paper for an oil line. :)

You can definately get the gasket from a nissan spare parts. I got mine from Metro Nissan in Brisbane. The gasket I needed was from the head to the sump oil return (shown on the left side in your first pic beside the missing stud on number 1) but im pretty sure it was called a turbo gasket?? It exactly the same as the turbo to sump gasket you are searching for. The gasket was less than $5......

Edited by operationsideways

Thanks guys. Need your help again...want to get my car back on the road tomorrow!!!

Progress

Had the manifold machined flat, new studs all round and new nissan gasket.

I'm trying to get the manifold to go back on but it is really tight!! Does anyone know the sequence I should do the nuts up or had this problem. I'm thinking of drilling out the holes in the manifold as they are binding big time. I'm wiggling it round, tilting etc but it gets about 1/2 to 3/4 on and is really tight. I think I may have slightly damaged one of the new threads trying to do up 4 of the nuts to bring it in.

Anyone had experience with this!!?? It was hard to get it off also..I'm wondering what the problem is..the head couldn't be that warped I would think..hope. Something has to be out.

PS - thanks operationsideways - picked up the paper gasket today. They had to order it in though..

Thanks

I wish I didn't touch the exhaust manifold..$300 later and Im still having issues.

Edited by benl1981

It's the fact that the manifold holes are packed with rust, and also because the manifold warps. Good thing getting it machined. I'd just machine the holes a little bit with either a die grinder, just until it can get on comfortably.

There's no harm in doing this, because that's how it's supposed to be, and secondly, there are big arse washers on top anyway.

Just do it a tiny bit on the ones that are fouling