SAU Community

Best Turbo For 'my' R33 Gtst

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since when is the internal gate not in the turbo?

Yeah GT30 sounds like the best bet to me, drive around sainly and not be spooling up like a wank when your not even giving it any, but yet have the power there when u wanna give it some and have bugger all lag according to "pixal8tr" who says its only a touch laggy and thats in a heavier car

I should also add that my GT30 is mated to the stock exhaust housing (same as R34 - i have a s2 stagea which has the same engine, turbo, and auto gearbox as the r34). This apparently gives it better response.

Here's a pic of my latest dyno graph - 160awkw (or if I remove the front tailshaft to make it rwd, that would be 180rwkw).

My mods are listed in my sig.

post-23960-1177834419.jpg

Hope this helps.

Also note the boost level at max kw - its only running about 9psi at that point, so thats a good figure for such low boost. Give it 14-15psi of boost and it will really sing. I'd love to boost mine higher but I'd need too many things to get there (intercooler, fuel pump, maybe fuel pressure regulators?, and maybe better fuel lines & brakes, not really worth it). I'd be happy just to have 12psi right to the redline...

Edited by pixel8r

I just dont wanna breath on the turbo and have boost coming on. Just want it to go when its flat

Why would you want lag? Response is the key to a fast street car. Have you been in a car that has anything close to 250rwkw using a hiflow turbo with supporting modifications? Its an experience mate. And a much better one then a car making 250rwkw using a oversized turbo for the application.

All in all i want to find a turbo that has the most power possible with minimal acceptable lag. There should be a line where both cross and that turbo is the one i want, thanks for your comments

All in all i want to find a turbo that has the most power possible with minimal acceptable lag. There should be a line where both cross and that turbo is the one i want, thanks for your comments

its not the turbo thats going to limit your power mate. Its the stock bottom end your running you wont be making 500hp so out all those turbos if you feel the need to be using atleast one of them. Then common sence would say get the smallest of the three.

Edited by fEkuaR

Its a contradiction in itself when you say "I want to find a turbo that has the most power possible with minimal acceptable lag" as you have to give up either reposniveness or power in order to gain the other. And like a said before, you can still have shit load of power (240-260rwkw) at not much more lag then the stock turbo and this doesn't mean it'll always be boosting, it all depends on how you drive with your right foot.

I've seen one with a GT3540 and hes been running stock internals on that 700hp turbo for over a year and not a hint of a problem! The rb series have strong internals, they can take a bit. i dont know why u think they'll blow up.

With the GT30 or the turbos you've suggested im not really gonna max out the turbos i dont imagine, but i dont wanna be driving around on boost when im not giving it any, street use is exactly that. its not toyko drift i want a sain car that aint on boost its whole life but that can go when i want it to

You'll find out how strong they arent soon enough i reckon :domokun:

If you dont intend to max, or come close to doing so (of the turob)

Then why choose it?

Its only going to be laggy and transient response will be poor compared to a turbo thats sized to the power aim.

Define "most power possible"

And dont butcher the GT30XX into a stock R33/R34 housing. Your just asking for a poor turbo.

No offence pixel8r but the stock turbo would make just as much power on the same boost and better response.

Wheres the contradiction? Maybe you're just talkin about the turbo i need? Virtually no lag and good power... what was it again and how much will it cost?

bloody hell mate... its been said a 1000 times now. You want the best turbo matched to your desired power output. In this case the smallest of the 3 mentioned. You wont run 700hp on stock internals. You wont run 600hp on stock internals. And you wont run 500hp on the stock internals. And if you feel like proving as wrong get a 700 hp turbo get bigger injectors as your 555cc wont cut the mustard and crank that sucker up. Your engine will last 5 minutes IF it doesnt die while its on the dyno. And thats a big IF. And 700 hp on a 2.5l engine is a laggy pig. Your question has been answered there really isnt anything else to be added to this thread.

Edited by fEkuaR

i dont understand why you want a laggy turbo?

dont you know how to drive and control your acceleration.. ?

pick a turbo that dishes out the power you want then you have fat midrange everywhere and can destory stuff off on the line instead of a stock gemini beating you off the line

I think you need to listen more and talk less bud. I am currently building an rb25 with the works. Major head work, cams, Forged, blueprinted, cryoed and balanced bottom end, fuel delivery system inc, plenum q45, dual feed rail, surge setup, 700 injectors . Himount, ext gate, etc etc etc. I am not bragging here, just trying to let you know that my homework has led me to believe that a 35/40 may even be too laggy for this setup.

I had the pleasure of driving a well sorted stage 3 slide hiflow setup with the minimum mods required to extract maximum efficiency and let me tell you, If i werent going drag racing that outfit would suit me to a tee. the low/midrange pull on a standard engine is bloody awesome and will have no probs taking care of any street action you are likely to encounter.

^^^^ i have done the same as you done my homework and 3040 seemed perfect. I think what series2r33 needs to think about is what is his power goal, and work from there. some ppl call 240rwkw a mean street car others define 320rwkwk a mean street car, so please tell us what your power goal is and we can help you more from there.

high flow and he will be happy. screw the dyno wank off...a real 250 atw in a GTST will be heaps and you'll have a hard time putting down more without 10.5" rears , some good rubber and a good suspension setup.

depends on what you want some ppl want over 300rwkw for example.....

I'm going form his origioanl post.

but u are right. I assume based on his posts that he would be happy with a fast street car and hence a high flow and 250-260 rwkw would be fine, great in fact.

I want the best outta my car but i dont wanna be waiting all day for boost to kick in. I also know that the bigger the turbo, the bigger the number you'll put out on a dyno, but on the street a snappier car will be quicker despite a lower power, and thats what im after. Im askin which turbo will give me the best power and spool up in a reasonable time, ie best turbo for my car???

You'll find out how strong they arent soon enough i reckon :)

If you dont intend to max, or come close to doing so (of the turob)

Then why choose it?

Its only going to be laggy and transient response will be poor compared to a turbo thats sized to the power aim.

Define "most power possible"

And dont butcher the GT30XX into a stock R33/R34 housing. Your just asking for a poor turbo.

No offence pixel8r but the stock turbo would make just as much power on the same boost and better response.

my car came with a gt30 core stuffed into stock housings, makes good power 230rwkw at 1 bar, great response, but its a pig!

cronic surging on even the slightest hills and annoying air reversion, i too am thinking gtrs would be the best for what i want, good responce, big midrange torque. ;)

bloody hell mate... its been said a 1000 times now. You want the best turbo matched to your desired power output. In this case the smallest of the 3 mentioned. You wont run 700hp on stock internals. You wont run 600hp on stock internals. And you wont run 500hp on the stock internals. And if you feel like proving as wrong get a 700 hp turbo get bigger injectors as your 555cc wont cut the mustard and crank that sucker up. Your engine will last 5 minutes IF it doesnt die while its on the dyno. And thats a big IF. And 700 hp on a 2.5l engine is a laggy pig. Your question has been answered there really isnt anything else to be added to this thread.

I really cant remember sayin i was gonna run a 700hp figure! or 600 or 500. Im talkin bout the turbo capabilities! thats what their rated at.

I never said i wanted lag but i know that all turbos have lag to a certian degree. So thats why im not trying to get a 1200hp turbo. I've been told that the GT30 isnt bad with lag and thats been confirmed but other posts on here from people who have one installed. Some of the people postin comments have their mods noted on the bottom of their posts and say they still got a stock turbo?! Yet they swear the GT30 is sooooo laggy?!

So the GT30 is a 500hp (rated fEkuar) turbo, whats the one under that? Is this the GTRS u have been talkin about?

I think you need to listen more and talk less bud. I am currently building an rb25 with the works. Major head work, cams, Forged, blueprinted, cryoed and balanced bottom end, fuel delivery system inc, plenum q45, dual feed rail, surge setup, 700 injectors . Himount, ext gate, etc etc etc.

Look mate i know that engine would just maybe be stronger than a stock one and therefore be able to withstand more punishment, but being a 21yr old whos just bought a house and who is just lookin for a turbo to finish of his car, i really dont wanna be spending all that money on a car that is my daily driver.

The turbo the last thing, thats all i wanna do.

Also i dont feel like driving down the street with the turbo screaming its head of when im just going to get some milk cause the small turbos well into its power band at 2500rpm
because i dont really feel like straping a hair dryer onto the side of my car so i can jump 10 metres in front from the get go and then get smashed because the turbos maxed out
drive around sainly and not be spooling up like a wank when your not even giving it any, but yet have the power there when u wanna give it some
i dont wanna be driving around on boost when im not giving it any, street use is exactly that. its not toyko drift i want a sain car that aint on boost its whole life but that can go when i want it to

Do the statements above not imply that you DON'T WANT a turbo that will spool up quickly (i.e. Laggy) because you "don't want to be on boost all the time"? Then on the other hand you EXPECT to find a turbo that will HAVE NO LAG and instant power when you boot it (i.e. Responsive)? How the hell do you have a turbo that is BOTH laggy and responsive? This is why I'm saying you're contradicting yourself!

For gods sake listen to what the people above are telling you!

1. Accept the fact that you CAN'T have a LAGGY + RESPONSIVE turbo! Its one or the other!

2. What you want is a fairly RESPONSIVE turbo so you will not have to wait long when you hit the accelerator. This DOES NOT mean you will be on boost all the time! Just learn HOW TO DRIVE with a light right foot to keep it off boost!

3. You also want a turbo that will not be die at the top end yes?

4. Then the appropiate choices of turbos would be: a hiflowed standard turbo, HKS 2835 Pro S, HKS GT-RS etc. Any of these will give you more then enough power you need in a street car, and you won't have "maxed out the turbo" and you WILL have a decent "spool up time".

Maybe a non-car analogy could get the point across: turbos are like amps for audio. Sure, the amp might be rated 1000W RMS, but if you're only listening in your bedroom and never turn the dial past 2/10, the MAJORITY of amps won't sound anywhere near as good as they do when operating around 7.5/10 - ie. in their ideal power range.

Buying a turbo which can make a bajillion kw is pointless because you'll only have it in it's ideal power band at the high revs like everyone is saying. Exactly HOW high depends on the turbo and the rest of the setup, as I expect the OP realises.

From my limited understanding, go a (relatively!) smaller sized turbo and if it feels too laggy for you, I think the next thing to try is cams/gears and the associated tuning work to make it spool easier (someone else correct me if I'm wrong). My 2c.

I guess a simpler answer is just find someone with each of these turbos (more than one of each if possible!) and just ride in them, see what you feel.

BTW how many tuning shops did you talk to that recommended the bigger turbo vs the smaller?

....And this might be opening another can of worms, but my local tuner says comparing a Garrett turbo to an HKS turbo is like comparing 'chalk and cheese.' This is someone whose had several cars in HPI.