SAU Community

Changing Gearbox Oil

The LSD is a limited slip differential. The diff or diffs (in a GTR) have there own drain and fill up point, as the oil needs to be around the diff's crown and pinion wheels for lubrication.

got it mate.

actually my 1st to 2nd gears been crunching after a clutch change, i'm not sure if oils play an intergral part but was thinking to change it anyhow considering how long it has been in there. Bought 5 liters of motul 75w140, im sure i could use 2 bottles in the LSD, is it okay to put the rest to the gearbox?(im not sure if 75w140 is the correct grade for the gearbox, car is a light modded gtst)

• 1 year later...

Just did mine. The bolts are absolute C U Next Tuesdays to get off. I used a 1/2" Ratchet and a small pipe as a breaker bar, had to push myself on the ramps to get enough force to get them turning.

Another tip, head to supercheap and buy a $6.99 syphon, it's the best $7 you'll spend and made the process of filling up the gearbox a painless, fast task.

I used VMX80 and the difference is unbelievable, it feels like a new box.

Highly recommended to anyone, just ensure you have the right tools because you'll only end up frustrated

I was worried i would damage them, you need to make sure the ratchet head is firmly inserted otherwise you risk rounding it.

If you've rounded them you might be in trouble, i couldn''t believe how tight they were. There was also lock tight applied to both bolts which made it even tougher

hey mate, did your bolts get damaged with your efforts?

Mine are fkd from mine, have to find another way to unto them...

blow torch of some sort.. heat the plug up a lil.. then try to undo

I use Redline MTL in the 5 spd, had rough shifts now all sorted out. and yes easier to pour thru the shift area then use pump, since I had the shifter off anyhow for a new rubber boot seal..lol

tried Syn power first, dumped it out the same day horrible stuff.

and use "smirf blood" ...shockproof in the Nismo LSD on the R34, works a treat , just looks odd , so thin and blue...lol diff hooks up so much better now.

can get a GB on All Redline oil now if interest arises in the future ?

• 11 months later...

I almost did that too trying to get it off, it never did budge. Luckily there was a temp sensor on the r34 gtt at the same level as the filler plug, so my mechanic (who knew fk all about skylines) used that.

There is a diy on temoving the gearstick, cant remember where i found it though. When looking through the diy's, remember a shortshifter installation will have the same initial steps to take the gearstick off.

haha yeh i started another thred and now iv rounded the f*kn dump plug too..... rant.gif

apparently a cold chisel and hammer will get the bastard out.... just gotta wait for a new plug now

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

pics don't load in the link :(

I know, found the same post on another website with google same problem, it's a few years old so the pic links have all gone dead confused.gif

Will be trying this on the weekend and will take some pics as I go though I think I will be filling from inside the car.

Found the gearstick removal to get started yes.gifhttp://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/21079-fitting-a-short-shifter-r33-gtr-lots-of-pictures/

• 2 years later...