SAU Community

15 year rule info courtesy of Prestiege motorsport

There seems to be a lot of confusion and some rumours about the 15 year rule, brought about mostly by the excellent 1989 model options that are so temptingly close to being importable as of January 2004. Here you will find answers to the common questions that we are being asked daily.

What is the 15 year rule ?

This regulation is completely separate to (and unaffected by) the new import scheme (SEVS), and allows for the import of any vehicle to Australia that is 15 years old or older. This currently means vehicles that were made in or before 1988.

How is it applied ?

The important date for this rule is the 1st January each year as the rule references to the year of manufacture rather than the exact month. For example, a vehicle that was made in 1989 (whether it was 1st January or 31st December 1989) will be immediately eligible for import as of 1st January 2004. The month of manufacture is irrelevant.

Can I import a 1989 model now and register it in 2004 ?

No ! As stated, 1989 models won't be considered 15 years old until Jan 2004. Therefore, it is not possible to obtain an Import Approval for the vehicle until then. If it were shipped to Australia, it would sit on the wharf for several weeks incurring storage fees until someone discovered that it did not have an Import Approval. At that point you would be politely requested to export or destroy the vehicle, and may also be presented with a $12,000 fine for importing a vehicle without an Import Approval. So this approach is not recommended.

What can be imported ?

Currently, anything that is older than 1988. We are also sourcing 1989 models for customers at the moment, and providing free storage until they can be shipped in Jan 2004, which is really only 30 weeks away. There are some excellent 1989 models available and the prices are still low, but not for long (see below).

Please don't ask about 1990 and 1991 models now, it's much too early to look at vehicles that can only be imported come Jan 2005 / 2006. A lot can change in this amount of time with legislation, price and availability. Please save your enquires until we are about 6 to 8 months away from a model being eligible as there is no point considering them before then.

What will happen to prices for 1989 models over the next 6 months ?

The answer is obvious when the situation is broken down, and in fact we see the same scenario play out each year. The following factors are currently preventing most people in Australia from buying 1989 models:

1) Concerns that the 15 year rule will change before 2004

2) Concerns about storage of a vehicle in Japan for 7 months

3) Costs of storage (we can offer free storage)

4) Concerns about outlaying a significant amount of money so far in advance

These are all legitimate concerns and should be considered by anyone thinking about buying a 1989 model for import next year. However, it is important to understand how these concerns relate to prices over time.

What we will see as we draw closer to the end of this year is steadily increasing confidence in the purchase of 1989 models. As the perceived risk falls, confidence increases, therefore more people will bid on 1989 models and will be prepared to pay more, driving up prices. How much prices rise will generally be linked to how much the cars are worth in Australia. The price of 1989 R32 GTR's is a good example. Currently they can be bought from as little as $16,000 plus "compliance" modifications and on road costs, making it possible to get them fully on road from about $18,500 which is a good $10,000 less than the nearest competition in Australia at the moment (and in some cases as much as $20,000 less than advertised R32 GTR prices). This is a ridiculous situation and obviously won't last long. It is realistic to expect prices for R32 GTR's in Japan to rise by as much as $5,000 as we near October.

The same thing will be seen with price increases on 1989 Celsiors, MX-5's, MR-2's, 300ZX's, Landcruisers, Safari's and all other sought after 1989 models as more buyers try to buy the same vehicles. It is also difficult to see the exchange rate being much higher at the end of this year than it is at the moment, as we are currently at a 3 year peak.

Registration of 15 year old cars

We always suggest with 15 year old vehicles that an allowance of $1,000 be made for the modifications required prior to registration (which can be done by anyone). These vary from vehicle to vehicle and State to State, and may include the following items:

Seatbelts

Sun visors

Child restraint points in the rear

High level brake light

Catalytic convertor

Driver's side mirror changed from convex to flat

Unleaded fuel filler opening restrictor

Side intrusion bars

Engineer's sign-off (some States only)

If you are uncertain about what needs to be done for a vehicle you are considering, you should ask the registration authority in your State for further information. Costs of the work can then be determined for yourself prior to going ahead. While you can make all the changes yourself, we can supply recommendations for a reliable workshop in your State should you require assistance.

Performance modifications

15 year old cars with performance modifications simply need to get through your State's registration process. The 15 year rule is separate to the new import scheme (SEVS) so there is no need to remove performance modifications for "compliance". However, each State has it's own rules on what level of modifications are acceptable.

Price estimates never include altering any performance modifications, this is extremely variable and is up to the customer to factor in before deciding to go ahead.

Payment for 1989 Models to be imported in 2004

Only the FOB cost of the vehicle and our service fee need to be paid to commence the process, then the remainder (shipping, import duties, GST etc.) once the vehicle arrives in Australia early next year.

Will the 15 year rule change ?

This question is undoubtedly our favourite. There are plenty of rumours suggesting all sorts of things -- that it will change to 20 years, or that the month of manufacture will be used to determine when a vehicle is 15 years old rather than just the year. However, the answer is that no one knows, not even the Govt. at this stage we believe.

Yes, the 15 year rule is bound to change at some point once the volume of vehicles is recognised (even though the quality of 15 year old vehicles imported far exceeds that of vehicles on our roads of the same age, not to mention on the whole being safer and having lower emissions). However, our opinion is that it will remain in force until at least early next year and that if changes are made that these will occur later next year once all the SEVS changes have settled down. It is on this basis that we are sourcing 1989 models for our customers.

Risk

To answer the question of risk should the 15 year rule change sooner than anticipated, we are advising all customers to consider this as a possibility and weigh up the large cost savings to be made by buying now versus buying later this year. We always stress that buying 1989 models now is not without risk and where customers have any doubt or concerns at all we advise that they should not buy now, and should wait until about Oct / Nov / Dec this year to buy one of these vehicles and simply accept that they will pay more at that time. Alternatively, to reduce risk customers should select models that would still be eligible for import under the new import scheme such as R32 GTR's and 300ZX 2-seaters.

Ultimately it is up to each customer to decide for themselves. Please note that our service fee is not refundable should the rules change. We would assist customers to sell the vehicle back through auction in Japan if necessary.

Storage

1989 models can be stored for free by our suppliers in Japan until January 2004. Storage areas are all secure areas behind locked gates and under surveillance. A new car cover can be bought for a small additional cost, to protect the vehicle during storage (this will be placed inside the car just prior to shipping). Full insurance is available for another 10,000 yen per month.

Thanks for the info, really helpful!

Just a request. What '88 model performance cars are avaliable? As i am unsure what cars come out b4 and during this year. Did the R32 gtst come out in '88 and are there any heavily modified examples?

Hey Al, go to www.prestigemotorsport.com.au, join their mailing list. But basically, any car built in 1988 can be imported from any country without requiring compliance (ie not just japan).

Something that worried me about the storage is outside - I personally wouldn't want to leave my car outdoors for 7 months.

Also:

outdoor storage + car covers + rain/cold = condensation which will lead to rust.

Personally i do not like car covers as they also rub on the paint work

:lol:.. you're probably going to have sections of rust taken out anyway on a 1989 vehicle once it gets here.. don't forget the more acidic atmosphere and everything else. I'd be definitely going for that car cover.

• 1 month later...