SAU Community

R32 Gt-r Turbo Assembly Removal...

Hey,

Im searching for an oil leak coming from the turbo side of the motor, its leaking quite a bit and i want to fix it ASAP. So now comes the hard part. I need to remove the top parts of the turbo assembly to take a look at the return and feed lines. I dont want to get to much into the removing, kinda scared to get stuck somewhere. Anyone have any tips? Pics? or How to?...

I figured that fellow rb26`ers would like a how to for removing the turbos, anyone? :cool:

Thanks Guys

Wil

I will be doing this soon too... where can you order the workshop manuals? (Stupid question probably)

I got mine from importdriver.com.au; it cost $500. An electronic copy may probably be obtained for less...

The workshop manual is pretty useless for this particular job, though :domokun:

Regards,

Saliya

Be careful what you get yourself into. just having a look at the lines etc is ok, if you just want to change the washers if they're leaking from there. But if you're going to do the gtr turbos, it's a massive job (my friend's car still isn't finished) compared to doing a turbo on a gtst.

and usually, if your going to remove some bits of the turbos, and they are standard.. perhaps its worth replacing them with something better?

and while your there do dumps, and then this list seems to go on and on and on.

enjoy!

Hey guys, thanks for the tips.

Now I think i know where the leak is coming from. its coming from the banjo nut oil feed line going to the first turbo (turbo closes to the front of the car). Im in the process of takin off the exhaust manifold, but i dont know if that nut is reachable from the top or the bottom of the motor. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance

Ive replaced twin turbos on my rb26 before. And ive had to go back and fix coolant a leak a few months later. Theres no easy way. If you are trying to remove the rear manifold/turbo, you will have a prick of a time removing it, unless you remove the front turbo first. I dont think you will get the rear dump pipe off, with out removing the rear turbo completely either. Perhaps try removing the powersteering pump And dropping the ac bracket and lowering it out of the way. Might get access that way... and also be able to better inspect the return drain lines while you are at it . Have fun.

Oh just re-read your post and you said the front turbo. Much easier.

Thanks Spilmer.

Now do I need to take off the front dump pipe off the first turbo before i can get the exhaust manifold off? in the manual it says lower turbocharger before taking manifold off. But i cant see how the turbo will move downwards if its attached to the dump pipe....

Anyone can enlight me on this? :)

Thanks again,

Wil

Thanks Spilmer.

Now do I need to take off the front dump pipe off the first turbo before i can get the exhaust manifold off? in the manual it says lower turbocharger before taking manifold off. But i cant see how the turbo will move downwards if its attached to the dump pipe....

Anyone can enlight me on this? :)

Thanks again,

Wil

Hey,

You need to disconnect the dump from the exhaust; you might

find it easier to remove the entire front section of the exhaust

from both dumps to the cat because then you have plenty of

room to move.

Then undo/slide/undo/slide/undo/slide the turbo/dump assembly

down off the manifold, then you can remove the manifold.

Regards,

Saliya

Just a quick question....How the hell do you get to the dump pipe bolts? Do I need to take somthing off to get there. It seems impossible, tried a couple times but I cant seem to figure it out...

Also the oil return line for the first turbo is hard to get at, any tips?

Thanks for the info guys.

Wil

Just a quick question....How the hell do you get to the dump pipe bolts? Do I need to take somthing off to get there. It seems impossible, tried a couple times but I cant seem to figure it out...

Also the oil return line for the first turbo is hard to get at, any tips?

Thanks for the info guys.

Wil

From the bottom of the car, use a socket + extension and undo the bolts on the

dump <-> exhaust flanges (NOT the dump <->turbo flanges, they are inconvenient

to undo while turbo + dump still on the car).

Like I said before, you might find it easier to entirely remove the front exhaust section

before trying to remove turbos.

Regards,

Saliya

Once the front pipe is removed and the turbo is lowered an inch or so you can use an extension socket with a universal joint adapter between the turbo and the manifold, to start taking the manifold off.

Alright! Good info guys.

One more question if I May :P....The oil feed line going to the first turbo, is it reachable from the bottom without takin the turbo off? or do i need to to remove the turbo before I can reach it?....The reason I ask is that im pretty sure my oil leak is coming from the oil feed line and I just want to check the washers if there in good condition..

Thanks again, you guys are life savers, just like pain killers :thumbsup:

Wil

Alright! Good info guys.

One more question if I May :P....The oil feed line going to the first turbo, is it reachable from the bottom without takin the turbo off? or do i need to to remove the turbo before I can reach it?....The reason I ask is that im pretty sure my oil leak is coming from the oil feed line and I just want to check the washers if there in good condition..

Thanks again, you guys are life savers, just like pain killers :thumbsup:

Wil

Yes, you can undo the oil line(s) without removing the turbocharger (the

recommended procedure from Mr Nissan is to do it prior to turbo removal).

This is the oil line on the turbo itself; don't remember if you can easily get to the

eyebolt/splitter on the block with the twins in place nor if you can do it without

removing some air pipework and/or heatshielding.

The easiest way to find out is to stick a hand and a spanner in there...

you might find that a set of stubby ratchets makes things much easier (I did).

I should mention that the easiest way to find out where your oil leak is coming

from is probably to clean everything up with degreaser, start it, and then have a look.

If you can get to the eyebolts with a spanner you should be able to get

to them with your eyes (or eyes + mirror-on-a-stick) first - and looking's

much easier than undoing, replacing, and redoing...

Regards,

Saliya

Cheers Mate, Thanks for the good info.

Im currently getting some new copper washers for the splitter eyebolt and the eyebolt for the feed line on the first turbo. I will be replacing both of them after inspecting the ones that were in at first, they are crocked and squished. Im pretty sure that i covered where my leak was. Im gonna anneal the washers, replace them, clean everything up while im under there and then i can see if it still leak. I have another question, can someone explain to me how the turbos gets there oil?...I dont understand where the oil is coming from, I know theres a line thats goes across the 2 turbos(where the splitter/eyebolt is) and that line goes in both turbos, comes out the oil return lines but I dont know if im missing something I cant seem to figure out where is the oil coming from?...

Thanks again for all the info, ive couldnt done it without you guys. Remind me to bring you guys a case of Alpine (Acadian beer) if im ever going to australia.

Wil

The tee fitting goes in between the feed lines that goes in both turbos...is that where the oil is coming from? how is it coming from there?