SAU Community

Upgraded F40/50 Brembos On Gtr33

Can i ask what brand of rotor they are using. Also confirm that they are 332 x 32mm thick? Have you given the brakes much of a work out, all good?

i'm unsure of what rotor, he said it was locally made, this was from race brakes, they use the rotor on ther track big brake upgrades! he said they are pretty good. and they havnt had any issues with them thus far.

i havnt given it too much of a work out yet. i only just did the rear's on the weekend. but there is a track day i smell comming up soon so they will get a good go there! but it does feel like how it was when i got the car. (rear end feels like its lifting off the ground when jumped on hard)

and i'm sure they are 332x32. i can check later on for you if you like!

it never crossed my mind to look in the us for the rotor.

as i said before, because it was from japan. i thought a japanese made rotor for sure. and looking at Dixcel rotors it was the only one with 10 bolt with a raised 2-3mm where the hat bolts to the rotor.

but the ones on stoptech look about right! but looks can be another thing! which is why i didnt bother chasing up a rotor that may not fit the hat i already had when i get it here!!

if your in sydney and when your rotor arrives from them can i see if my hat fits :) if so i'll get some for spares :thumbsup:

Sure thing Angus!

Oh, and I just got an email with prices for the Stoptech brackets, which are $105 each. So along with new hats all up it'd be around say US$710 including $100 postage (hats and brackets are much lighter than discs), so roughly another A$840 if I need them. That'd be more than I wanted to spend originally, but still quite cheap compared to some local shops. I think it was worth the risk because all it will really cost me is more of a delay before I can afford the bigger injectors and tune.

Edit: Oh, and the reason why I've got a fair bit of faith in the Stoptech discs fitting to my hats is because their parts are designed to be mostly compatible with Brembo parts. Even if the kit on my car isn't a proper Brembo kit, I imagine that it is similar in its compatibility with Brembo and hopefully it'll all fit.

Ok the discs arrived on Thursday, I finally got around to ripping my wheels off again today to set it all up, the longest amount of time was taken removing all the old bolts mostly with vice grips because most of them were too seized to use an allen key and they tended to round out the bolt.

The new discs have the exact same dimensions as the old, same step-up to create the offset for the hat, same sized and positioned mounting holes etc. The only thing wrong is the only thing I thought might be wrong, and that is the new discs have a different inner diameter on the flange from my old ones, so the hats don't fit. But I thought that's ok, because I can just get the discs machined out the extra 2mm and keep the curved inner edge to meet the lip on the hat. I'd need an engineer and a proper workshop to do that of course.

I emailed Dave to see if he could tell me if that would be a bad idea, and he said that it'd be better to just machine the lip off the hat. Of course! The lip isn't actually needed at all, and he even sent me this pic of a hat which doesn't have the lip on it at all, which these discs were seemingly designed to accommodate. So now all I need is a dremel and a careful hand.

Anyway Dave Zechausen really knows his stuff. He's helped me heaps and I have no problem recommending him for great service and prices. I don't think I've ever received such help from a vendor before and I still find it difficult to believe I bought a top quality product from the other side of the world for virtually half the price of anything available locally. If I didn't already have these Brembos I think I would invest in one of the Stoptech kit upgrades, but for now these F40/50's will do nicely.

Disclaimer: I am fully aware that by machining/grinding a bit off the hat I could lead to premature failure of my hat. It is a commonsense risk that I'm fully aware of without being warned of such by Dave, and I wouldn't even attempt to hold him responsible if I bugger it up and cause my brake rotors to explode somehow. I'm doing this entirely at my own risk, and anyone else in the same situation should also be aware that they can only blame themselves (or whoever did the work) if something goes wrong!

post-502-1183216228_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...