SAU Community

spark plug help

Champinco

Originally posted by Champinco

please dont say do a search, cause there are too many threads and there all contradict each other.

Then what is to say that all those who contradict each other wont post in here and yet still leave you feeling confused???

You shouldn't have to replace them until 100,000 k's. From what I've read, and personal experience, you should have platinum plugs in there so don't worry about it for another 30,000k's.

I got mine done at it's major service (100,000 k's) - did timing belt, plugs, oil, filters, etc, dyno tune & run. I went out and bought NGK Iridium's. Personally I didn't fell any noticable improvement with the Iridium's (despite all the hype on their website).

Just buy NGK Platinum's and don't waste your money on the Iridiums...

Cheers,

C.

what's with the remark?

If you search those threads, you will see I have extensively answered all those questions several times. It's just that after answering them so many times, you get a little tired of answering the same questions!

My point is valid, and these forums are archived for these purposes, so that people can access all sorts of information that has been discussed at an earlier stage! Dont blame me for the fact that you cant be bothered sifting through the info to find what you need.

If everyone that has answered these threads before answers here aswell, you will get another thread discussing spark plugs that is identical to the rest.....

I dont mean to offend you with my response, but if people never bothered to look up the information first, there are several topics that would have an astronomical number of identical threads. Most people get annoyed when someone has started a thread about a topic that has been covered so much, without searching and trying to formulate their own opinion first. For eample, if your question was:

I have read that plug X is good, and plug Y is also good, both for different reasons. I would like to know which is better for such and such application... Then I'm sure many people would quite happily answer (myself included)

If you want my opinion though, I recomend

NGK BCPR5E (copper plugs) for street use, gapped at 0.7 - 0.8mm

The more expensive plugs (ie: Iridiums and platinums) do not perform any better, they merely last longer which means nothing in a modified car.

I'd say change them if your believe your car is not running as well as you believe it should, or if it has developed a misfire

what does exp to put on mean? I assume you are asking if they are diffucult to change?

No, they are not difficult, but it does take time (about an hour, maybe more for first time)

If you search the forum, there is a thread someone else has written that details the procedure quite well, and lists the tools required. When you search for this one, search in ascending order as it is an older thread

also look at these threads

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...&threadid=14609

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...&threadid=16296

Once again, I dont want to come accross as a smart arse, but always try searching first.

Zahos

to tell u guys the truth, i had the same problem around 2 months back and i logged on the forums and found a post by Zahos which recommended the BCPR6E which i got from Marlows for 20 bucks all up including gapping tool :(

works fine and its been 5-6000 kms

You'd only go for the iridiums if you were running higher boost, say 1.2bar up. As for the platignums it has been said by quite a few people that they don't react well to octane boosters and other fuel additives. Some aftermarket ecus don't like them either.

I would use the BCPR5 for stock, go to BCPR6 or even 7 for modified depending on extent of mods and Iriway 7 for modded with higher boost if you do drags or circuit work

51jay, my car is slightly modded, and I'm guestimating close to 180rwkw. The 5 heat range still works best for me, because it is my daily driver, and I hardly thrash it. I would say that it not only depends on mods, but how you drive the car. The miss at 5000 rpm is barely noticable, if at all with the 5's.

The problem with iridiums is they are prone to early failure despite their suggested 100k km lifetime. I've had one die on my motorcycle after only 15000km. Like, totally die, no spark at all.

I bought a replacement, and asked the shop guy if this was common with iridiums, and he said yes it happens all the time because the electrode is so small. Carbon buildup kills them. The more you get to thrash your engine the longer they will last though because carbon builds up most in stop-start traffic. He said the platinums are much more durable in this regard.

Also, I don't think you can re-gap the Iridiums. You can't lever off the central electrode anyway. You could tap down the external electrode but if you went too far it would be a bitch to pull back. I've left mine at the factory settings for both car and bike.

I am not keen to go back to copper because with the iridiums I get better economy on the bike (consistently 10-15km more per tank, which is a lot when you only do 200km on a tankful) than out of the Denso copper plugs it had from new. I can only presume the same would apply on the car, so I will go for platinums if these iridiums give me any more trouble.

I drew the conclusion that if there are so many contradictory answers, then there is clearly no definitive answer. It is probably a case of 'if it works, keep using it'. If it worked for one person, then it will likely work for you.