SAU Community

Someone Gives You $5,600 To Spend On Motorsport

Duncan

well not really a once in a lifetime experience, bathurst is very do-able all you need is a NC license and some cash to buy a drive with a ute or similar.

I reckon if you do the supersprint you will be held up by a bunch of CEOs in their vw golfs.

Sorry mate I'll rephrase that,,,a lifetime experience for me. As you well know I haven't got a hope in hell of ever getting anything higher than an L2S.

CEO's in Golfs,,,Come Sunday I'll be over and undertaking where ever I can.

It's a pity they won't let me run the Capri I would have loved punting it around the mountain so looks like I use the wifes GTS-T.

Steve-o,,,If I pass their entry criteria that would be great.

Neil.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have pit bitch experience ahahahaha

Yep thats a fact and a damn good one. At least I know you would look after my nuts. :domokun::blush:

Neil.

• 2 weeks later...

I was passing through bathurst the other day so I stopped off and did some laps in the GTR. It's been years since I've been up there and I reckon I'll need a lot more than $5600 if I take the GTR there to do some 'racing speed' laps. I would well and truly have it binned after half a lap I reckon. It's awe inspiring though and definately needs some slightly conservative driving on there to stay in the hunt. I guess it must take many, many laps to get enough confidence and track knowledge to push really hard. It was good fun in the GTR though, and good value at $0.00. :rant:

I once took the old Saab convertible round Bathurst with the cruise control set to 60- now that was a bit of fun.

60 probably sounds slow but on road tyres it made the top of the mountain and the turn onto the straight very tricky (Not to mention the fact that I was sticking to the right side of the white lines!).

The speed weekend is a big investment - I'd be more inclined to do the Bathurst Light Car Club event the weekend before (?).

Well I would do Bathurst How many oportunities do most of us have to race around the track if the super sprint means the whole track then I would do that.

And smoky said he would offer his car for the day

The problem with the Bathurst weekend is the $5,600 is just your entry fee. By the time you factor in the brakes, tyres, fuel and other expenses it's an easy $10K excerise.

I'm doing 2 rounds of the Dutton this year for less than $5,600 (given I'm splitting the costs with my co-driver). But for $10Kea we could do the whole National Championship and get to drive Queenslannd Raceway, Morgan Park, Wakefield, Eastern Creek, Collie, Barbagallo, Winton and Sandown plus a bunch of other great driving venues.

Driving Bathurst would be awesome but given a very limited motorsport budget there are other things I'd prefer to do.

i would take the 5k, drive to bathurst, stop at Hungry Jacks on the way for lunch and end up spending 5k worth of bacon deluxe burgers, then head home with no money left for the bathurst track.

oh hurry up Hungry Jacks coupons i need you!!!

• 4 months later...

Take the whole SAU club for overnight stay during consecutive Sat and Sun track sprint days.

$3000 toward rooms in a conference centre - not sure think its about approx $230 (at Bowral for example) for a night per suite including a 10mx4m lounge room and 7x4m bedroom and 3x4 spa bathroom.

The centre comes with swimming pool and gymnasium and gardens and plenty of free parking!

And do it again every 6 months or so to spend the rest.

Would it be better cruising to and from the race track or picking somewhere close to a race track?

Edited by Edge