SAU Community

Trouble Fitting Gcg High-flow

I have recently purchased a secondhand turbo for my car (R32 GTST) which I believed to be, (was advertised as) an R33 turbo, highflowed by GCG. However upon receiving the turbo I immediately realised it was not. After calling GCG, I have been told the turbo is a mixture of Garrett GT & HKS parts. Is this the older style GCG hi-flow I have heard of? Has a 4-bolt exhaust outlet & is rated at 550hp if that helps... I just want to know if anyone has fitted one of these before & what they done with the oil & water lines? As soon as I saw the turbo I realised my dump & intercooler pipe(s) were not going to work with it but the oil & water looked identical. Pulled it all apart this weekend & found this is not the case. Now I need to get my car running for work next week & am totally screwed. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Apologies for the long post.

If you have a 4 bolt exhaust outlet, it simply won't work.

As far as i'm aware, even the older 500hp highflows were still straight bolt on.

Well, if you want to get it working, you'll have to get new intercooler piping made up and a new dump (you said so yourself). Possibly new oil/water lines.

I would move on and get a proper striaght bolt on turbo.

I don't think you'll be driving to work next week.......

That's why I have a daily driver - mandatory if you want to modify your car.

There was a turbo advertised a while back which was advertised as a GCG high-flowed turbo.

I asked in the post if it was an R33 high-flowed turbo, or just another turbo that happenned to be high flowed by GCG

The question wasn't ansered but the turbo was sold.

Is that the one?

If so, I'm sure it didn't say R33 turbo but the wording/assumtions made you think it was.

Double check the thread, if it is that one (not saying it is) it may have been your assumtions that made it an R33 turbo.

Yeah that was it mate. Just went back & checked out the original For Sale thread. Was definitely advertised as a GCG RB25 hi-flow. Also just realised it said it included a 3.5" dump when it only came with a 2.5". Now because this wanker has to lie to sell shit, I'm screwed & dont have a car. What should have been a one day job (dump & intercooler are modified ready) has just turned into a major headache.

Things never go as planned. a turbo install is hardly ever 1 day. Hell, even waiting for a turbo has taken months before

First time, I was short of all these parts, had to run backwards and forwards from the shops etc. like even for copper washers.

Forget about it for today, as none of the hose places are open. Just catch a taxi or walk to work. and then bring the turbo and the oil/water lines into enzed etc. and they'll be able to make them up for you. I'm not sure why the lines wouldn't bolt on... they can be bent as needed you know, are the banjo bolts the wrong thread for the new turbo or something?

its really not that much of a problem. ive done a fair few turbo installs for members who have said they've got straight rb hiflows, when i get there they were the same as you were describing.

its not a problem. go to pirtek or enzed with your oil line and 1 of your water lines and get some new lines made up, it'll cost you around $80 per line + new washers.

if your oil drain pipe or compressor/exhaust covers arent lining up with your oil drain/intercooler piping/new dump pipe then it just needs to be rotated into place, doing this requires loosening a (usually 13mm) bolt then rotating the covers or cartridge into place.

you wont need any new intercooler piping either, just get a 45 degree silicon bend from anywhere that sells them. as for the dump pipe, baby it to an exhaust place once its all together (without the exhaust - it will run) and they should have the same size flange for your turbo.

pics of the turbo?

4 bolt on the outlet says non wastegated housing to me which is a problem straight away.

I had an old 500hp highflow. It was definitely bolt on (and a day job even including fabrication of the compressor outlet pipe)

I'd be reinstalling the stock turbo until you sort it out.

Have got the dump pipe to suit, the compressor outlet sorted & can modify the oil drain myself easy enough, its just the banjo bolts are a different thread & size. Do I have to replace the water line going all the way behind the motor? I also thought a 4-bolt pattern was strange for an internally gated turbo... Here are some pics.

post-35893-1184468770_thumb.jpg

post-35893-1184468831_thumb.jpg

Ok, its a 5 bolt housing, so its not an r33 stadnard turbo. If you unbolt that monstrosity of an adapter on the exhaust housing, you should be able to get a 5 bolt dump pipe made up.

Either that, or just pick up an r33 turbo housing and whack that on the catridge, then you should be able to use your skyline dump

Edited by MANWHORE

Unfortunately you cant remove the exhaust housing adapter, as it contains the wastegate flap. If an r33 ex housing will fit, i would be interested to know, as i have a turbo the same at home, and it would be the easiest way out. (PS if your after an op6 housing i know where ive got one)

Mate took the turbo to Enzed for me while I was at work & they apparently didnt have anything. Sent him to another shop which quoted around $200 for Speedflow fittings & lines. I just want banjo bolts & couplings with a short pipe to suit the turbo then will cut my lines & use flexible hi-temp stuff (silicon?) to join the lines. Flared ends of course. Can anyone suggest anywhere else for banjo bolts & the like? Or even better has anyone actually tried this cheap way out?