SAU Community

Is This Engine Swap Possible?

I am looking into swapping the rb20det out of my r32 gts-t in a month or so. I was planning to swap in an rb25det but it seems that everyone does that, so to do something different I am trying to look into swapping in a vq25det, but cannot find any information on the engine, any performance parts for it and so on. Has anyone heard of this being done? do you think it is possible? thank you very much.

VQ's are an open deck design and are not usually used as a performance base. there is nothing wrong with them they are a really good engine. the best place to find information on them will be the nissan maxima forums,

it would be a lot of effort putting one in an R32 A HELL OF A LOT. if you really wanted to go that way it would not be bad the weight distrabution would be good.

personally I would stick with the RB...

if you had have said VQ35HR, i would have been interested :D

For sure, but any nissan v6 conversion is not all that hard into a R32.

apparently there is a few silvias running around with VQ35's so it mustn't be too hard for a vq25?

my mate has a vq35 twin turbo 290rwkw and it is a monster. however very expensive!!

have you considered a 1jz/2jz? cheap easy power and its not that common

i hope you have a lot of time and patience (and money) for the conversion :D nothing is ever simple

• 11 months later...

I just got my RB25DET (series 2) and I was hoping you could help me with some questions.

My Skyline is non turbo so it will be a big step with the RB25.

Now then, my first question is about the gearbox mounts, I hear they aren't the same and I will also have problems with the speedo meter. What do you know about this? Can I use the Xmember of the R33 ??

The second is about the harness, everyone that has ever swapped an engine told me that the harness is the most difficult part of the swap. Do you have the diagram of the R32 and the R33 (still can't find it for the R32) and some pointers on how this is done??

Hope to get a reply from you soon

Carlos Rudolph

I am looking into swapping the rb20det out of my r32 gts-t in a month or so. I was planning to swap in an rb25det but it seems that everyone does that, so to do something different I am trying to look into swapping in a vq25det, but cannot find any information on the engine, any performance parts for it and so on. Has anyone heard of this being done? do you think it is possible? thank you very much.

If your looking at unique engine swaps, I'd look at VH41DE or a VQ30DET.

i've seen a couple of VQ's in R32's, but wouldnt bother with the 25det, go for at least a 30, or 35 motor :rofl: or go all out on a VH41/5