SAU Community

Antenna Switch

lighty01

Hi,

My headunit was replaced at the purchase of my car but i realised that my head unit does not have the auto antenna wire that pushes up the antenna when the head unit is on.

I do have the stock switch that lowers the antenna down and up but because its not connected to the head unit, it does not work.

Does anyone know where i can hook up the wire to?

just to clear things.

My headunit did not come with a auto antenna wire, where else can i hook it up to?

Thanks pplz!

ive got a related question, sort of

my alpine deck raises and lowers my aerial when tuner is selected, but i dont have the switch on my dash to make it go half or full height.

anyone know what i can do about that?

The standard switch should only change whether the mast is half-height or full height. The power-antenna wire on the headunit is used to fully retract the aerial when the tuner is not on (i.e. when you are playing a CD / auxillary input)

So if you don't have an power-antenna wire on your headunit, it should raise when you turn the ignition on, and retract when you switch off.

If you want to lower it fully, you'll have to wire up a manual switch off the factory loom. I guess you might be able to use the remote wire to trigger a relay, but all that would achieve is being able to retract the aerial when the headunit is not active (& in my car, the headunit is on probably 99% of the time the car is, which would make it kinda pointless in my opinion).

yeah i want the half / full height option. i dont have that switch on my dash.

my aerial fully extends when tuner is selected on the head unit, and fully retracts when any other source is selected, or unit is off.

thats all good. but i want to only raise it half way when using the tuner.

• 3 weeks later...
The standard switch should only change whether the mast is half-height or full height. The power-antenna wire on the headunit is used to fully retract the aerial when the tuner is not on (i.e. when you are playing a CD / auxillary input)

So if you don't have an power-antenna wire on your headunit, it should raise when you turn the ignition on, and retract when you switch off.

If you want to lower it fully, you'll have to wire up a manual switch off the factory loom. I guess you might be able to use the remote wire to trigger a relay, but all that would achieve is being able to retract the aerial when the headunit is not active (& in my car, the headunit is on probably 99% of the time the car is, which would make it kinda pointless in my opinion).

Ive got a stacker in my 33 which only works through the radio frequency. I want to be able to lower the antenna when im using the stacker tho.

To acheive this can i just put a switch in to the remote wire so i can manually retract the aerial when the radio is on???

Ive got a Xplod HU with mini disk player a jap edition.

And the answer is yes it works, I put a switch on the standard power antenna wire (green with red stripe) and done!!!

The antenna works as normal but i can over ride it when I'm listening to the stacker.

Nice!! :cheers:

• 1 month later...
haha u definately dont wanna do this haha they get the worst reception :thumbsup: mine barely works

must be something wrong with yours then cos mine really works fantastic!

only downside i think is if you crack and need to replace the windscreen..

haha u definately dont wanna do this haha they get the worst reception :rolleyes: mine barely works

I havn't had any problems with reception either, if anything I can pick up good reception with the antenna all the way down.

I'm very happy with the result, just need to replace with better looking switch and im done!

I modded the factory switch wiring on a 33 aerial so it was either down or half up, never fully up. it was a girls car and the pioneer didnt put the aerial down when playing cds which annoyed her.

Also on r32s the aerial has a booster wire that needs power on it to get any reception it is a black wire with red trace. the main aerial in them is in the back window the one in the front is for am. Aerpro make a good aerial that has a wire you run through the car as the antenna i put them around the head lining. they get really good reception and are a good replacement if you dont want a external aerial

Edited by kiwi32

• 1 month later...
Ive got a Xplod HU with mini disk player a jap edition.

And the answer is yes it works, I put a switch on the standard power antenna wire (green with red stripe) and done!!!

The antenna works as normal but i can over ride it when I'm listening to the stacker.

Nice!! :D

Here's an idea, how about finding out the length of time it takes for antenna to raise and lower... then adding a timer to your switch? So everytime you click the switch it activates the timer, which then allows current to run for a set amount of time... like maybe 2 secs for half raised, or 4 secs for fully raised... Jaycar has DIY kits for timer...