SAU Community

Car Seat Covers Vs Side Airbags

MearCat

My wife's Mazda6 has side airbags built into the seat side bolsters and we want to put some seat covers on the seats to protect them but I really don't know whether it should be done or not. Can you get seat covers that are "airbag compliant"? Could I cut a piece out of the side of the cover to allow for the airbag to deploy (fingers crossed - only if necessary)?

You can buy seat covers made for side airbags and they are precisely that, a hole cut in the side of the seat cover to allow the air bag to be deployed.

Edited by PM-R33

i work in parts at a dealer and we have always been advised it is illegal to have ANY seat covers on a car with side airbags, because even if there is a cut out for the airbag it still might catch on the cover when it explodes, if they have not been extencivly crash tested then they are illegal, and if anyone is caught selling them to a customer without fully explaining that it is illegal in the event of an accident the seller is liable.

Does anyone know where to get them, or are they readily available?

I have the Mazda SP23 and went to Super Cheap they said you can get them ,but they had to be especialy made,but Whoa, cost was some stupid price.Cannot remember exactly but something like $300 I got the ones that go over the seat not the sides .$30 each.

i work in parts at a dealer and we have always been advised it is illegal to have ANY seat covers on a car with side airbags, because even if there is a cut out for the airbag it still might catch on the cover when it explodes, if they have not been extencivly crash tested then they are illegal, and if anyone is caught selling them to a customer without fully explaining that it is illegal in the event of an accident the seller is liable.

same.

i work at toyota, and we advise people not to fit them to vehicles fitted with side airbags. and toyota doesnt make them.