SAU Community

What Do You Use To Cut Aluminium Sheet? 0.5mm

lingeringsoul

Got myself a sheet of aluminium today from the local hardware store so that I can make an air box for the pod filter. I've got the template all trial fitted so the only thing left to do it transfer the design onto the alu sheet. The only problem I see left is cutting it. The sheet is 0.5mm thick so it's not too thick. Any suggestions?

I would use a tin snipper or an angle grinder. Depending what types of shapes you're cutting out, the hack saw could be some help if you've got one lying around. I wouldn't use a hack saw myself, I'm such a newbie using one. Snapped about 3 blades trying to cut one little piece of metal rod. :P

you sure its half a mil. thats heaps thin. wouldn't be very strong??

use a saw of some kind (jigsaw, hacksaw). aluminium just clogs up grinder discs and then they don't cut properly, the metal is too soft. if you have to use the grinder because you have no other choice go and get some 1mm stainless cutting discs, they work ok, not the best finish.

This is a weekend DIY thing so what every tool I have will have to suffice. So plasma cutters are out of the question.

yeah I'm sure they are 0.5mm and the reason I got it because it seems thin enough to cut by myself without having to enlist the help of expensive workshops and just strong enough to be useful. This is afterall just for fun. I'll try the hack saw and see how that goes.....if I can't find a hacksaw i'll have to get a tin snips....it seems to be a tough job cutting with tin snips though. We'll see tomorrow.

if you want to cut allumium with grinder you will need the "green" cutting disks also known as silicone cutoff wheels. I personally would use a jigsaw with the appropiate blade. Ask bunnings for which blade. Or use your head and rear the packet

got a circular saw?

as mentioned the alloy can clog a grinding disk, then over heat and (for want of a better word) explode. these flying parts can kill you, it has happened before.

you could get yourself a drill powered Nippler, these will not warp either side of the cut so you dont waste material.

got a circular saw?

as mentioned the alloy can clog a grinding disk, then over heat and (for want of a better word) explode. these flying parts can kill you, it has happened before.

you could get yourself a drill powered Nippler, these will not warp either side of the cut so you dont waste material.

LOL @ nippler

i meant nibbler .... what can i say its friday

Got myself a sheet of aluminium today from the local hardware store so that I can make an air box for the pod filter. I've got the template all trial fitted so the only thing left to do it transfer the design onto the alu sheet. The only problem I see left is cutting it. The sheet is 0.5mm thick so it's not too thick. Any suggestions?

if ur in perth pm me i can cut it for ya at my work. or else you using a hacksaw (will take some time) or jigsaw (just make sure your using a metal blade which is for metal and for the 0.5mm thickness)

Tin snips are the go. But there is a trick to it!

First cut out the piece fairly roughly leaving maybe 10mm of material extra beyond the cutting line. It will be tough going, and the sheet will buckle and wrinkle along the cut, because a big sheet cannot curl as it is cut.

Once you have got that far, the edges will look pretty rough wrinkly. Cut again, but this time leave only about five mm of material beyond the line. Because the piece being cut off is now very narrow, it will curl easily and the cut edge will be very clean.

Go around a third time, but this time cut right up to the line. It will be very easy to cut around fairly sharp curves, and come out with a nice clean cut with an undamaged edge, right on the line.

If you want to avoid scratches, stick wide masking tape all over the sheet, and mark out your shape with a ball point pen. Do all your drilling, cutting, filing and folding. When the whole thing is completely finished, peel off the tape, and it will have an unblemished surface.