SAU Community

Ssr Wheels - Experiences?

WRRR

Anyone got any first hand experience or knowledge of the SSR wheels?

Are they a viable alternative lightweight forged wheel?

Contemplating getting a set but no little about the brand

Help please.

Cheers

SSR wheels are comparable to the likes of Works and Rays wheels in Japan. They have been famous for wheels like the SSR type C, Professors and even VIP wheels. They went bust a while ago in Japan but have since been bought over by Tanabe so alls good!

I've got the SSR proffessors in Black and they are an awesome lightweight 3 piece construction.

See here for more details:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/ssr/ssr.jsp

Nice wheels, I almost brought a set of 18's brand new pretty much, well never used just before I got my 33 but didnt as they were white and I didnt know what colour car I was getting and then when I price them up after I got the car whoa! Quite dear! But awesome wheels!

Apparently they are:

In a specialized process perfected by Alumax, a leading aluminum manufacturer, uniquely structured alloy billets are heated to a semi-solid state (the consistency of soft butter) and molded in a specifically engineered forging press. The positive aspects of this process found applications in the aircraft and automotive sectors. Through an exclusive contract with Alumax, SSR conducted additional research and development and built their wheel manufacturing plant in Japan to produce alloy wheels using Semi-Solid Forging (SSF) technology. They further developed SSF technology, were granted a patent, and are the first and only SSF wheel manufacturer in the world today producing Semi-Solid Forged alloy wheels. This ultra high tech forging technology creates a very strong and lightweight wheel ideal for street or track.

SSR make a whole bunch of wheels, they're a brand of wheel (like Enkei, BBS etc). They make absolute shitheap ones that weight a tonne to brilliant ones that a very purposeful and skilfully made. All depends on what you're after. SSR are the Simmons of Japan, they make interesting wheels, and custom stuff. So your choice really depends on what you're after and opinion of SSR's depend on what specific model you're looking at.

If you're after the "omg look at me I'm such a cool drifter, yet I'll never get my arse end out in them for fear of gutter/ripplestrip bashing my rims" then you should get the SSR Professors... preferably in chrome.

If you're after the "omg I drive a shitty old corolla, and I paid more for my rims than I did for my car" then get some SSR Longchamps.

My old man has SSR Vienna Dish (yes that's the actual name) on his ceffy... its a very VIP style wheel with a whole heap of metal and a very deep shiny lip... cos no 58 year old should be seen in Starcrap Impuls.

:closedeyes:

Thanks guys for the replies so far.

Looking at a set of 18x9.5 +21 GT7 Hybrid or Type C. (Silver)

Going on a dark blue GTR but trying to get away from the 5 spoke approach.

Looked at some Volk RE30 but ouch exxy.

Cheers

pretty sure semi-forged is like semi-synthetic or semi-errect. it's better than nothing but it's not that great either.

with wheels price is the indicator. sure RE30 are expensive but they are super light, strong, racing wheels. the SSRs you are looking at may be cheap but it's almost certain there are many areas where they are not as good as the RE30s.

SSR made all the good stuff, Mark I,II,III, Reverse, Racing Rim, Starshark, Longchamp, Mesh, Dorimesh, Formula mesh, Techno, Starfomula, Starbright, etc. You just don't know enough about old shit box Carollas, do ya now.......

Then again, I don't know anything about any of their wheels over 14inch....

Guy's - thanks for all the advice.

Bit the bullet and went with the GT7 Hybrid.

The deal negotiated was too good to go past.

They are not as light as some but they aren't bad for an 18 and as they are for the street ultimate lightweight is not really required (got separate track rims).

Thanks again, helpful as always.

• 5 months later...
Anyone have SSR Type C rims on their cars. I read that 17x8.5" are 7kgs. Does that sound right?

Roy the Type C are pretty light

Info I have is

17x8.5 5/114.3 +40 6.75kg

18x9.5 5/114.3 +15 8.1kg

Based on my SSR rims I would say these are correct.

Cheers