SAU Community

Got My Car Dyno'd... What Next?

zorb_rules

series 2 r33's (96-97) are nylon...not sure about 34's but I doubt they went back to ceramic

1+2 ceremic, r34 nylon.

the stock ecu doesn't like boost, so if you go past 10psi its likely to go into rich and retard which will make it slower than stock anyway

What are you on about man, i ran 14psi for 3 years with stock ECU and its fine.

12psi aint much at all, these turbos loose effieciency after 12psi...ahhh this is why i see so many skylines with huge turbo upgrades...

At least they dont' have over heat issue like most of the Z :thumbsup:

As already stated..... its just a number and a good car is about having a total package. Hypothetically u could have one car do 250kw and do 13sec 1/4mile, whilst another with 200kw (50 less) go faster with 12sec 1/4 mile.

Its a good figure as is for a street car so i'd be looking at bringing the rest of the car up to scratch.

....but thats just my opinion. :thumbsup:

Ok, a few people are throwingup what is what with the turbos but I think are sometimes confusing compressor wheels and turbine wheels.

I don't know about the R34's but on the R33's to my knowledge the compressor wheel of the series 1 is Steel and the series 2 nylon. Nissan changed to a nylon compressor wheel to aim in faster spool up because of the lower weight.

The turbine wheel sits in the exhaust and Nissan when for a ceramic turbine as it is lighter than using a steel wheel. It is bonded to the steel shaft. People say that the maximum boost you should ever run is about 14psi as the heat generated is higher and can weaken this bonding between the shaft and the ceramic turbine. If it comes off then the compressor may hit its housing and start sending pieces into your intercooler and possibly engine. Any increase in boost can lower the life of a turbo. Having said that my friend ran 14psi on his R32 without problems which also has a ceramic turbine.

On cars with fairly standard mods there is not much point going over 10-12psi as you will start using more fuel for a very small power increase.

If you want to make more peak power then a SAFC or similar should help you a more than likely if you are still on a standard ECU it will be dumping in plenty of fuel high in the rev range. The SAFC will let you lean this out and achieve a better power making air to fuel ratio.

A peak power figure is not the be all and end all though. The fatter your power curve is the more average power you have. The more area under the curve the better it is.

I'd get a front/dump pipe, set your boost to 12psi and install a SAFC or similar if you can't afford or buy a programmable ECU.

You may experience coil break down once you start to ask more of them and may find you will need to change these too.

At least they dont' have over heat issue like most of the Z

hey dude, jump on aus300zx.com the association im part of...most of the zeds australia wide are on this site...well the smart ones i guess...just like with any other sports car the cooling system needs to be up to spec and running the way it should be. having said this me and my mates are running over 200 @ wheels easily, and on stock cooling system. maintain and give the care some attention and it will treat you good in return. im sure if you turned a blind eye to your cooling system you will start to get problems. common sense really....personally in the 1.5-2 years ive own this car i have not had any hiccups, knock on wood...

to my knowledge on the site really i have only ever heard of a handfull of zeds overheat out of the hundredsssss on that site...having said that they all did not have the cooling system up to spec hence why they experienced problems. the zeds out there that you hear that have overheated and those shit mechanics who dont know how to work on them, those shit owners who dont know shit about them, and especially those importers/dealers who really dont know jakkk shit about them....yes the zed is a bitch to work on, and im fairly experienced with these cars now, its really just like another engine to me...with my immidiate zed friends we are bout 15-20 and none of us have ever experienced overheating...

but hey i so love the way majority of the people out there think these cars are shit, because they are rare on the road and when someone see's a cared zed out im sure they peak there eyes out...check out my intro post in another thread... :)

hey guys im not a skyline owner, but atleast its a nissan .... its a 300zx twin turbo 2seater 93model. i love events/cruises/track days etc so if you guys do have events/cruises with other makes then there is a great chance ill be there ...

had the car for roughly about 1.5-2 years now and pretty much everything done to the car cosmetically and performance wise has been done by my own hands...i pretty much read and read about these cars and ask heaps of questions...before i owned this car i really didnt know much about cars...this is were reading helps although we hated it in school days lol...

ill let some pics do the talking for now....when i bought it, it was in complete stock form.

l_47bd09c880af1a569b0e4d769b3dfa48.jpg

l_addeb384e1f68c2ae64c5be206b6c7ac.jpg

l_26de4efa00f23c80b8c3256480d2ac39.jpg

l_e390b7aa09a8cea967e3679d315a08d2.jpg

l_57511e189d598eaf924597fbcdfc3a85.jpg

l_3761f68f44f1b98d9c2367ea90fd28b1.jpg

l_a86ad37b2e6b364cec356f9fb271665f.jpg

l_321b75ea26ef93fb45d546cde8356e8e.jpg

mods are stock engine/turbos, trust smic's, hks cat back, dr.drift tune, 13psi showed 213rwkw.

should be getting a shift kit within the next month...

mods to come are dumps, hi-flow cats, udp, 16psi hoping to hit above the 240rwkw mark...

sorry to hijack thread guys...if not appropraite just delete ;)