SAU Community

New Twin Plate Clutch, Very Bad In Rush Hour Traffic

nsta

I had one in my GTR. I could drive it fine after a few days but when I went to sell the car every person who test drove the car stalled the car 4-5 times trying to drive off. I warned people about it before they test drove and I would always drive the car 1st to show how easy it was but always got anwsers like "I drive race cars" , "I have a 500hp Rx7" etc and they thought they would have no problem. Then they would just stall it. and stall it, and stall it. Sometimes they gave up and I had to drive back. Ended up selling the the car to some 60 year old guy from up the sunshine coast

Fair enough wrxhoon...I'm just repeating what Nismo said in their documentation

Nismo_SCMclutch02.pdf

Just under the bit where it lists all the parts in the kit.

Besides the clutch pedal is aready light with this clutch why would you want it any lighter?

The reason I use it is because it gives you more feel . It says not to use a big operating cyl, I think they mean a much bigger cyl, the nismo cyl is only a little bigger than stock, ""Do not use with a big operating cylinder, which may result in a misshift due to insufficient stroke volume.""

Before I installed mine I asked a race team in Japan , they told me to use the Nismo cyl and I don't have any issues at all besides the normal rattle that all 6 speed getrags have. I also asked If we should use the carbon clutch, they told me not to use that for my application.

If you are happy with the normal cyl thats fine but I can assure you you will not run out of travel using the Nismo.

ant, I would just use it with the regular operating cylinder first and see how you go. wrxhoon definitely knows what he's talking about, but they do reccomend the coppermix to be used with the standard cylinder and not their nismo big operating cylinder. I did have one combo a few years ago with a twin coupled with a nismo cylinder and it sometimes did make gear selection difficult (mainly first). I thought it must have been stuffed, but I replaced it with a standard one and it was fine. turns out it just didn't have enough stroke for the given pedal movement to completely disengage the clutch. we are only talking the tiniest bit of difference but it was enough to make first hard to get sometimes when sitting still with the engine on (once moving it's not so critical).

Was that on a 32 GTR BB? The best way to test if you are running out of travel is reverse gear, if it crunches then you don't have enough stroke. Don't forget you can adjust the pedal as well. In my car I don't even have to use all its travel and she has a fair bit of free play too.

I have installed the Nismo cyl on both R33 and R34 GTR's ( several cars) without any issues, never had one installed on a 32 so I can't comment on that .

If you are happy with the stock slave stick with that but I have had both on my car and I prefer the Nismo slave, I still have my stock slave packed away .

yeah it was a 32 GTR. and yep, when stationary reverse and first hard to get. I didn't really notice it on the move as I think it was just trailing a tiny tiny bit of clutch.

I did still keep the nismo as a spare though too. and hey, it was only a 5 minute job to swap them, and 4 of those minutes was spent having a beer before swapping them over!

yeah it was a 32 GTR. and yep, when stationary reverse and first hard to get. I didn't really notice it on the move as I think it was just trailing a tiny tiny bit of clutch.

I did still keep the nismo as a spare though too. and hey, it was only a 5 minute job to swap them, and 4 of those minutes was spent having a beer before swapping them over!

I bet it was the old push clutch .. Yea any monkey can swap slave cylinders, as it is lower than the master it will bleed itself too.

lol twin plate clutch + daily driving = idiot. sheesh of course its going to be abitch to drive in traffic, wait till you wanna dog box then start moaning

my twin plate ATS carbon is unreal, i find it so easy to drive.

Hell even my sister and mother dont mind the clutch.

only issue i have with it is in the higher gears and no torque on the thing it rattles like a mo-fo.

• 3 weeks later...

I hv the HKS twins and so far the stalling practiced is over for me..been very good at traffic too. Hand brake helps a lot especially hill climb. I notice that when you feel that the clutch is about to bite and seeing the revs coming down, try holding the rpm slightly higher like 1100rpm.

The only problem i hv now is during normal or spirited driving i sense the pedal feels a kinda rough (jerky) when disengage during down shift. I bought the clutch 2nd hand from a friend who happened to changed new plates (both) before selling them to me. After 2-3 month using it as a daily driving, the problem starts. Now it's been 5 month and the pedal feel seem to get worst. I don't sense any slip during up shifting during spirited driving plus i never do a burn out / drag before.

Is the problem :

1) Is the clutch wear out already

2) Bad install

3) Slave pump (standard) need to upgrade to Nismo.

4) Fluid clogged