SAU Community

Famous Classic Car Insurance

I got a quote from "Famous Classic Car Insurance" for the GTR @ $1710, & was very happy. Until I read about issues with underwriters etc.. in this thread. Had me worried, so I rang "Just Cars" they cam to the party @$1730 with rating protection. Being underwritten by AAMI "which I'm also insured with" made me very happy. :D

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you ring Shannons?

Shannons has a $400 basic excess then if under 25 a $600 age excess. Thats it..

Fanous, Just cars, Young and Cool all have up around a 2k excess and if its stolen one of them had a $1800 stolen excess.

The bloke I was talking to said they are picky when insuring imports.

• 2 weeks later...

I rang famous the other day and I'm not quite sure how their payment plans work. I'm still confused.

The lady said taht you pay 2 months up front, then pay $250 a month for 8 months... That's still only 10 months, so what do you do for them? Not pay anything?

Why not just pay one amout every 12 months?

Famous i think are tightening their selection criteria for insuring cars now.

The quote i got from them the other day was the same from just cars. Got the impression that she didnt really want to insure me since she made no effort to match or better the quote.

• 2 weeks later...

just thought I would let you knowabout my quote from Famous.

32yo Male, rating 1 for 12 years no claims, nothern beaches sydney

Stagea 260RS with all the GTR V-Spec goodies for $55k agreed value....and the premium....$2200...this is for business use and no garage, but it needs either 6 point imobiliser or tracker.

OMFG! After reading all this, I begin to wonder if it's worth taking my Skyline with me to Melbourne at all :

I'm 21, live in Auckland NZ, and own the mentioned Skyline in my profile there, 2 door coupe, 17" rims, tints, etc etc and under full cover i'm paying $930 per year... excess of $1000... I love my Skyline, so I guess i'll either have to adjust or find a different car to love :bs!:

I don't know what to doooooo!

I highly recommend Famous, very helpfull customer service and great prices!!

I was paying $2800 last year for my S13 (21, rating 6). Got my insurance renewal the other day and it's gone down to $2090!!!

Woohoo!

hmmm, very interesting response to the discussion.. Most of the discussion had been very positive about Famous!

I know absolutely nothing about famous except what's been said about it's legal set up ie the broker and insurance company have directors in common, but the insurance company is offshore. This is quite a legit way of doing things, and it is done for the simple reason of limiting the liabilities, and not having to satisfy Australia's insurance requirements.

So the relatively straightforward decision for anyone looking for insurance is - do they want cheaper premiums with a company with less legal constraints, or more expensive premiums with someone who is more regulated.

That's a simple fact, which I'm more than happy to explain in further detail if anyone wants me to

Well you Skyliners, we at Famous, who have happily paid out millions of dollars in claims sin July 2002 when we entered the market, are extreamly annoyed and disappointed to read some of your comments regarding our service. Because we provide a personal service we recognise which user names apply to our clients. Brian N, we know that the full picture is not being presented, don?t we? The remarks being made are anonymous, you don?t have the courage to identify yourselves and are usually made in ignorance or without full possession of the facts. A lot of you think we are fair game and distort facts to suite your own agenda?s. We are sick of being accused of being happy as s*!t when taking monthly payments. This is a service we provide and if it makes you sick, don?t use it! The relationship we look for with our clients is mutual respect, not master servant. If you cant handle that, perhaps Famous is not the place to insure your cars.  

You should realise you are driving vehicles that have certain difficulties when it comes to insurance and its in your best interests to work with us, forget all these smart a***d comments and build relationships that benefit all of us.

Larry Tyler

Managing Director

Well I too have just recieved my Famous renewl and considering its dropped more than any of my previous cars with any other insurer, im happy.Service has also been great thus far.

Nick

Well I too have just recieved my Famous renewl and considering its dropped more than any of my previous cars with any other insurer, im happy.Service has also been great thus far.

Nick

I've noticed they (insurers) are all dropping their premiums - why is that?

is it less thefts?

recognition that skyline drivers are more careful?

cost of repair is the same as other cars?

They want the safe drivers to full insure instead of third party because full insurance is too expensive?

meh Famous didn't accept the rating I had with another insurance company despite the fact that I've been driving for 3 years (excluding P's) without claim - the only blemish is a speeding ticket (15-30 km/h over). The NRMA offered me 40%NCB for some reason but their insurance was $5000+. Just Cars accepted my 40%NCB but they were still dearer than Famous. I went with Famous due to the cheap price. But unfortunately I've had to rebuild my NCB. Also I still haven't got an indication that I'm covered by them despite them taking my money... :rolleyes:

Larry, I hope you're reading this...

hmmm, very interesting response to the discussion.. Most of the discussion had been very positive about Famous!

I know absolutely nothing about famous except what's been said about it's legal set up ie the broker and insurance company have directors in common, but the insurance company is offshore. This is quite a legit way of doing things, and it is done for the simple reason of limiting the liabilities, and not having to satisfy Australia's insurance requirements.

So the relatively straightforward decision for anyone looking for insurance is - do they want cheaper premiums with a company with less legal constraints, or more expensive premiums with someone who is more regulated.  

That's a simple fact, which I'm more than happy to explain in further detail if anyone wants me to

I'm having trouble locating someone that will renewal my R34 GTR insurance. I just called Famous after all the rave and they said they don't cover car over $60k. IS THAT REALLY TRUE??? That limit is way to low and I need some advice here before my insurance runs out.

Larry Tyler, can you confirm this as your people on the phone cannot help me.

Swoop, give Torque Underwriting a call. They should be able to help.

Just called Suncorpe Insureance. That was a waste of time....$13k. Obviously it was marked up intentionlly cos they don't want the business.

Let me try Torque now.