SAU Community

R32 Ls1 Conversion

BezerkR32

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You obviously have never heard of a V8SC engine then...even our Fujitsu cars make 620hp at flywheel and they are 5 Litre 2 valve 'dinosaurs' running on pump premium

I'm not criticising the LSX range of motors as I'm a fan of how well they perform throughout the entire rev range when compared to some of the four valve v8's available. But comparing a super car engine to a standard street driven engine is a bit of a wank considering theres been about 15years of R&D to get to a current power level of around 640hp = 2.1hp/cube. Lets turn back the clock 8 years when they were making around the 580hp mark = 1.9hp/cube after five years of R&D.

So your saying now that if you take your holden 5L beast down to joe Bloggs "2hp/cube" Engine builders he will be able to give you an engine back that produces 608hp - 60 hp for trans = 548hp = 408rwkw. I dont know about you but I've tuned probably 40-50 304 engines from VN-VT in various forms over the past 5 years and I have never seen 1 go anywhere near this number not even within 100kw. I have also tuned around 150-200 LSX engines in various levels of modification and have never seen a 5.7L go over 300rwkw.

The figures I quote are from a properly strapped, barometric, humdity and temperature compensated dyno dynamics dyno. And as for american engine builders - their fuels are better and there dyno's read higher.

How do you figure their fuels are better???

Being american they have a different method for calculating RON and MON levels which typically is a lesser figure than our RON and MON figures but is actually a higher octane fuel with a higher density even though their ethanol concentration is higer. Also from tuning similar cars abroad it was seen that their full power ignition numbers where high than that same equivalent car back in AUS.

So your saying now that if you take your holden 5L beast down to joe Bloggs "2hp/cube" Engine builders he will be able to give you an engine back that produces 608hp - 60 hp for trans = 548hp = 408rwkw.

Yes, that's precisely what I'm saying. If you can't do it, it doesn't mean it can't be done. I've seen it done more than most and will happily list a dozen places that will do the same. Seriously mate, 600hp from 304 cubes is a big deal but far from difficult to acheive. Why don't you understand?

And as for american engine builders - their fuels are better and there dyno's read higher.

Hogshit. Plain and simple.

Yes, that's precisely what I'm saying. If you can't do it, it doesn't mean it can't be done. I've seen it done more than most and will happily list a dozen places that will do the same. Seriously mate, 600hp from 304 cubes is a big deal but far from difficult to acheive. Why don't you understand?

Hogshit. Plain and simple.

Please list these street driven 600hp weapons you speak of I'd love to know who is building them.

Please list these street driven 600hp weapons you speak of I'd love to know who is building them.

Case in point. Local car to me, 308 cube -3 headed Holden, single carb, 592hp @ 7300rpm. This motor then had 275 gas thrown at it and ran high 8's in a 3140lb car with a 2 speed glide.

You are the only person talking about street driven. Everyone else is talking about hp/cube. Incidentally, yes. The above is street driven whenever he gets the time.

I'm not criticising the LSX range of motors as I'm a fan of how well they perform throughout the entire rev range when compared to some of the four valve v8's available. But comparing a super car engine to a standard street driven engine is a bit of a wank considering theres been about 15years of R&D to get to a current power level of around 640hp = 2.1hp/cube. Lets turn back the clock 8 years when they were making around the 580hp mark = 1.9hp/cube after five years of R&D.

So your saying now that if you take your holden 5L beast down to joe Bloggs "2hp/cube" Engine builders he will be able to give you an engine back that produces 608hp - 60 hp for trans = 548hp = 408rwkw. I dont know about you but I've tuned probably 40-50 304 engines from VN-VT in various forms over the past 5 years and I have never seen 1 go anywhere near this number not even within 100kw. I have also tuned around 150-200 LSX engines in various levels of modification and have never seen a 5.7L go over 300rwkw.

The figures I quote are from a properly strapped, barometric, humdity and temperature compensated dyno dynamics dyno. And as for american engine builders - their fuels are better and there dyno's read higher.

your original post was bagging out 'donkey 2 valve' engines...you didnt say anything about street engines...anyway my business partener had a 620hp V8SC in his GT40 replica so it is a street engine...go the good ol 2 valve

My business parter has a GT40 replica with one of our V8SC engines(all 620hp of it) in it all mod plated and regularly driven down for coffee on Sunday lol and scares the sht out of all the posers in their 997's :thumbsup:

edit forget to mention 620 flywheel HP and 1100 kg .........well you do the math

Edited by gtr660hp

just FYI... to those screaming foul about someone putting an LS1 into a Nissan...

http://press.nissan-global.com/COMMON/HERI...detail.html?047

After the 4th tournament (1967), the year was included in the Japan GP title. Nissan produced the R381, equipped with a Chevrolet 5.5-liter V8 engine, for the 1968 Japan GP. Its unique "aero stabilizers" - the left and right portions of the wing moving independently - earned it the nickname "Monster Bird". This commemorative car is the victorious No. 20, driven by H. Kitano.

Engine is back out now as i am starting the build, but as earlier mentioned only the rack was changed.

Ill take a pic when i put it back in.

I don't spose you got any pics of the engine bay with just the crossmember in, or have any pics of under the crossmember with engine fitted?

A friend of mine is going to tune the car for me and is confident the engine will make the power.

A custom cam from competition cams has been ground to suit my car as it is considerably lighter than your average commodore, all new springs & retainers and roller rockers, all the usual stuff as you would know requires upgrading.

Doing a piston to valve clearance tonight to see how much we can skim off the heads and how much the pistons require relieving, other than that a quick port clean up and thats it. I will probably run a high octane race fuel rather than pump so we can run a bit more comp and more agressive ignition curve. Ill be sure to keep an eye on the things you mentioned. Probably a few months off starting it, but ill post up dyno sheets when tuned.

No offence but 350rwkw aspirated out of 5.7 is alot of horsepower. I've never seen a 5.7L make more than about 300rwkws aspirated and that was in a fully built ultima I tuned. You may get close to that mark but over 300rwkw you will need cubes and lots of work. You'd be better off to keep the cam size small around the 224 square at 50 112 lope seperation and throw a harrop supercharger on it. Depending upon the the fuel system the 42lb should be enough for arund 400rwkw on the stock 4bar system. You will however need to trick the ecu into thinking it has less air than it actually has so you dont run out of ignition resolution. If you run a rising rate system you should be able to do this. Thats assuming you have calibrated the ecu correctly.

Rob82 you are a straight out knob!!! Re-read what is actually said and what you came up with as responses. If you are in the tuning business and you have never tuned more less heard about ls1's making over 300rwkw NA you need to get out of the job!!!

Thats all I can really say.

I have personally built a vy ss ute with: cam, pushrods, inlet manifold, and tune makes 322RWKW, Adrian has seen the car I am refering to and I can get dyno sheets to prove this. It is in street commodores with the dyno sheet printed for heavens sake.

We are currently rebuilding this car with a stroker crank, better heads, bigger cam, more comp and based on a motor that Sams Performance have built, with similar mods, that just this weekend made 411RWKW at a nationally syndicated dyno competition, following national dyno guidelines for dyno comps, Ie stricter than your local shop trying to inflate dyno figures, Id say your comments about 2 valve heads being donkey are just as biased and stereotypical as a redneck having a go at anything japanese as a rice burner.

Edited by Fitzpatrick Speed Works

Hey guys, lets not get lost any further in this power figure debate, 300kw and or 400hp was a

number that was mentioned by guys that drift as the optimal power u need in a relitively light car to

drift, obviously there are cars with considerably less and also more power than this that drift, but

it was said to be a solid combination. whether the car makes this power or not doesnt really matter, it was just a hyperthetical goal i set with the mild engine work i am doing. time will tell. even if it falls short, the car should still be a fun drive. The thread was supposed to be more orientated towards the fittment of the engine rather than the power the engine can make, besides the increase in torque at lower RPM compared with a turbo engine is the main advantage with the V8 anyway, not so much peak power.