SAU Community

Bp Ultimate

I'm not entirely sure, but it seems as though the quality of BP fuel is dropping. And im also seeing alot of BP's getting taken over by Seven Eleven's.

The reason Im thinking this is because, as of late, my car has been getting more knock on bp ultimate. I first thought that it was a particular service stations 'stale' or not so great fuel in their tank.

But since then Ive tried few different service stations, in locations that before to me where quite good, such as compton road. yatala, Kingston Rd and a few others.

So I thought I would try Shell again, and tried their Optimax eqivilant 'V-Power' and the 'V-Power Racing', I noticed straight away the difference on the V-Power, and the V-Power Racing was better again.

Now prior to this I had noticed it was actually the other way around, between both company's 98 octane fuels. And the car ran alot better on Ultimate over the Optimax.

The V-power racing (although It contains Ethanol, And Id prefer not to use Ethanol Based fuels) was very very good. Knock levels were lower again, Car ran even more perky on the VPR than before on Ultimate so I know its a good thing, But the price is just insane.

So Im wondering.. Is it just me? My car?.. or has anyone else noticed their cars arnt running as good as they did before on Ultimate?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my car doesn't like vpower racing, stutters at idle. it's fine on bp ultimate, which is cool because bp is much cheaper (today it was 18c/litre cheaper). what i don't get (and i'm sure someone will tell me why shortly) is why an ethanol based fuel is more expensive. i thought ethanol was a cheaper product?? maybe i've just been ill informed??

but anyway, haven't had any problems with crappy bp ultimate in sydney as of late

Edited by into oblivion

Up in Gympie, only got the one BP garage.

Standard procedure on start up now, minus 1 degree on IGN.

Thought it may have been a crook tanker of fuel but its still happening so time for a look.

If one or two cells are right on the edge, you'll get knock from very minor external changes.

the BP's that got taken over by 7-11 around my area are now gone. It's not just 7-11 brand with no idea what fuel they use. So BP stations are not as common now. wonder how that'd affect their business and quality

that is quite intersting.. is the take over only in the eastern states?

I cant see a massive company like BP just disappearing from the face of the earth .

and they must KNOW that all these performance car people swear by 98

well over here in WA I have not noticed any change in the 98 , mind you we only have a Heavy Stagea that does not get booted around in anger that frequently.

Bp ultimate is 98 RON, V-Power Racing is 100 RON, its the only pump avaliable 100 ron fuel in the country (premium fuel in japan is 100 ron). Ethanol is not cheaper to produce, in fact its more expensive and has the effect of pushing up crop prices in direct competion with food crops. it is a bullshit publicity stunt by producers. The fuel however is just fine. :w00t:

Had heard a rumor, some guy up here in qld was just putting regular unleaded in the ultimate tanks at his BP servos.

How true it was i dont know, my car is more a weekend toy and even tho its only tuned for 98 octance i run VPR in it

In the future i think ill have the car retuned for VPR :w00t:

IMO: its shit, in my 66 mustang that i tuned to run on vpower(98) i have heaps of power both top and bottem end with no pinging. The second i put BP ultimate(98) in the car i have to turn down my advance and thus i lose some horse power(its a big difference).

By the way it pings off its head on ultimate at the same tune, cant do 100kph with out getting pinging. Mind you a V8 is much easy to tell when it is pinging and you feel it alot more than in the GTR.

i couldnt imaging anything wrong with BP i mean is one of the top 3 biggest petroleum companies in the world. couldnt see they going broke ..especially to 7-11. theres always going to be cases of bad batch or 'my car doesnt run well becuase of it' (probably mechanical issue). but as for the company as a whole, i think it would be pretty massive news if something was up.

maybe your all just paraniod, need to get off the bongs.. ha. joke.

Why doesn't anyone use MOBIL high octane, not sure what its called exactly.

I use it in my R32 and it runs mint, never pings and I get pretty good mileage too..

I want to try V-POWER and also ULTIMATE, but MOBIL servo is just closer to my house :w00t:

Edited by abu

From what I have been told BP are being dodgy now with there fuels. They are using 91 octane with added ethanol to bosst it up to 95 octane premium fuel. They are adding ethanol to the normall 95 Octane premium fuel to boost it up to the 98 octane Ultimate.

IMO: its shit, in my 66 mustang that i tuned to run on vpower(98) i have heaps of power both top and bottem end with no pinging. The second i put BP ultimate(98) in the car i have to turn down my advance and thus i lose some horse power(its a big difference).

By the way it pings off its head on ultimate at the same tune, cant do 100kph with out getting pinging. Mind you a V8 is much easy to tell when it is pinging and you feel it alot more than in the GTR.

Hi mate,

I actually found this with my v8 too (recently sold worked v8). That with Ultimate it would ping its head off, But on optimax it was Fine, It was a very strung out tune, 308, Quite advanced, stage4 cam with CDI ignition with the Dizzy customized, so it didnt auto advance, But for some reason its the opposite with the RB engine. Im not sure why, and Quite frankly it just dont make any sense to me.

Also I have a PowerFC so I can monitor Knock etc on the RB. But the RB definently ran better on the Ultimate Prior to this than on the Optimax. And I can definently see the difference on the Digital display.

the 7-11 Are not selling Ultimate, The first one I saw was aussie owned (can you believe it!), And i had a chat with him and he told me that isnt Ultimate in the Pumps, they just forget to take the sticker off, or leave it on for a bit, while they flush out all the Ultimate, then just refill with premium. and take the sticker off.

Edited by silverbulletR33