SAU Community

Cops Hassling You About Your Bov?

cheez

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand how you can have the stock bov in the same location without it functioning?

very simple, instead of having the standard gasket under the stock bov, u replace it with a coke cak gasket. u may ask what a coke can gasket is? this is a gasket that doesnt have a hole in it but is still the same as standard thus sealing the hole into the cooler pipe that normally would be there (u use a coke can to make the gasket), and then with the vaccum line, all u do is tape up the nipple under the hose and put the hose back on.

with this done there is no vaccum and no pressure on the bov spring thus eliminating the stock bov from operating and just being a dummy bov.

Edited by cheez

How about you just use the stock one?

Mine is still there; and I have a GT3076 pushing 18psi - 20psi and 300rwkw.

Doesn't bat an eyelid, and the cops don't care because they can't hear the engine wanking itself under the bonnet.

How about he does what he wants?

I have a atmo bov, have had for over 6 years. i like the sound of it even if it makes my car stall occasionally.

I could care less about chics or the crap u tell urself guys fit them for. Ive never had a problem with the cops, when they are around i know how to drive and dont boost it. not that hard really.

each to their own mate, let it go.

i like the sound of it even if it makes my car stall occasionally.

rofl

I'd go crazy if my car did that stupid shit all the time.

I had a atmo once, tried it to see if the standard one was leaking, and my car stalled and ran like a piece of shit when off the throttle. Couldn't get it off the car quick enough.

heh yeah if it was all the time i would get rid of it, but its less often than rain so yeah for me the pro outweigh the cons.

i have my stock one still here i have been thinking of refitting as tho i do like the sound its much of a muchness really.

anyways im off to pick up my 26 head the baron so kindly sent me

ps. from the sounds of ur atmo experiences something wasnt right, maybe ur installation or quality of bov.

Hey Mafia,

Since you have mentioned several times that you are using the stock bov with your 300+rwkw car...I have a proper technical question for you...pushing that much air through it all...what size of plumback piping are you using? still the standard diameter and hose that came with the car?

Hey Mafia,

Since you have mentioned several times that you are using the stock bov with your 300+rwkw car...I have a proper technical question for you...pushing that much air through it all...what size of plumback piping are you using? still the standard diameter and hose that came with the car?

still using the standard return hose. We just modified the end that hooks up to the intake pipe, and welded a small pipe into the 4 inch intake pipe to suit. So the stock return pipe is exactly the same.

Works 100%. I don't get any flutter or fully sic dose.

The Pipe is more than enough to drop the pressure so the turbo doesn't surge.

You can still hear a little bit of blow off through the pod, but barely at all. I will one day make a decent airbox so its completely silent.

How about you just use the stock one?

Mine is still there; and I have a GT3076 pushing 18psi - 20psi and 300rwkw.

Doesn't bat an eyelid, and the cops don't care because they can't hear the engine wanking itself under the bonnet.

Why can't you just let him do whatever he wants?? eg.I don't like your rims on your '300kw' car..., but i dont go making a point of it. People can do wahetever they want to thier car, you dont always need to critique them.

Why can't you just let him do whatever he wants?? eg.I don't like your rims on your '300kw' car..., but i dont go making a point of it. People can do wahetever they want to thier car, you dont always need to critique them.

I'm thinking of changing them actually.

But at least they don't go "WWWOWOOOOOOSSHHHH, HEY COPS, COME AND BOOK ME AND HASSLE ALL SKYLINE DRIVERS"

I'm thinking of changing them actually.

But at least they don't go "WWWOWOOOOOOSSHHHH, HEY COPS, COME AND BOOK ME AND HASSLE ALL SKYLINE DRIVERS"

yeh i no, but everyone will realise in there own time what they do and don't like, I had atmo once, got sick of it.

very simple, instead of having the standard gasket under the stock bov, u replace it with a coke cak gasket. u may ask what a coke can gasket is? this is a gasket that doesnt have a hole in it but is still the same as standard thus sealing the hole into the cooler pipe that normally would be there (u use a coke can to make the gasket), and then with the vaccum line, all u do is tape up the nipple under the hose and put the hose back on.

with this done there is no vaccum and no pressure on the bov spring thus eliminating the stock bov from operating and just being a dummy bov.

Yeah I get it. So it doesn't have to be substantially thick? Do you also need to block off the pipe that plumbs back?

Yeah I get it. So it doesn't have to be substantially thick? Do you also need to block off the pipe that plumbs back?

You wouldn't need to block off the plumb back line if you already have blocked off the actual bov with a solid gasket. Wouldnt' make any difference, no air is able to go through it anyway.

Mafia is it reliable at 20psi i.e. no boost leak? i was thinking about this the other day

atmo bov's give us all a bad name and generally reduce overall performance i.e. dumped air is usually 'lost' (not metered by ecu) causing running/stalling issues.

just use the stock one that actually works well i.e. plumbed into compressor side

Edited by Jmaac

• 1 month later...

As i understand it your problem is the cops don t like you BOV going atmo so you have a fake/blocked BOV in the original spot and your new atmo one hidden under your guard. Most people wouldn t worry about ATMO BOV noises, is the PFFFT noise really an essential part of cruising round. Im sure the marketing people employed by the BOV manufacturers would like you to think it is.

Mate, everyone likes to have a car that stands out and expresses thier own individuality but sometimes you have to look at the facts and wonder is it worth being hassled by cops and sacrificing drivability for little or no reward. You could probably win the tour de france on a tricycle too if you try hard enough.

PS i have owned and driven both aftermarket and standard BOV set ups and i currently use standard nissan one as there is no need to change it.

wow this topic caused quite a stir lol. the only quesiton i have about this topic is, why the fu*K is it illeagal to have a atmo bov. i mean really, what harm does a bit of air make, and if some dick cheese gets scared of the sound and crashes, they shouldnt be on the road in the first place! i just bot a turbo'ed patrol as my second car and it has a atmo bov, within 2 weeks i have to go to epa, its not worth the trouble so im going to take it off, i just wish ppl didnt care about that sort of stuff so much! thats my opinion, like it or hate it i dont care.