SAU Community

Has The New Gtr Killed The Modding Scene?

The ECU will most likely run the CAN protocol. No to mention it is now required workshop have the ability to reflash all new cars ECU with never software. It will be like the falcon ecu full reprogrammable and will be cracked in no time

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ECU will most likely run the CAN protocol. No to mention it is now required workshop have the ability to reflash all new cars ECU with never software. It will be like the falcon ecu full reprogrammable and will be cracked in no time

yeh remember that its going to the US, and how MASSIVE the import modding scene has got over there in the last 5-10 years (after Fast and Furious albeit...haha). But there are some huge skunk-works over there that will have vast amounts of cash to throw at R&D. Stillen, Titan (once they get over supras), AEM, etc etc....maybe even traditionalist american iron companies like lingenfelter (sp) or callaway might even get involved. i think the scene will diversify a lot given that its no longer arriving in these markets as a grey import.

another thought i had is that it appears that, unlike nearly all nissans - next to nothing will be interchangeable.

In response to RSC41, do you realize that Nissan Aust only brought 100 32Rs in to Oz?

And that whole recession thing at the time limited a lot of options until cheaper grey imports were available... and how quickly we forget Gibson motorsport - they weren't running stock GTRs!

Yeah fair call, anyway the point that im making is that as the car becomes more accessable so will aftermarket support. and as for those 1 piece turbo/maninfolds. what decent turbo upgrade doesnt warrent a new manifold?

i guess it might be worth considering the popularity and proliferation of twin turbo kits for the 350Z....or lack there of...

There are a couple of kits for the 350Z and V35 Skyline. APS, Power Enterprise, GReddy, HKS that I can think of off the top of my head. Plus a lot of US companies doing supercharger kits for them.

They are relatively expensive, but the cars are relatively new and so there hasn't been as much R&D poured into them. That said, your typical TT kit in the US is around USD$6K, which is not that much. They have a much bigger population than Australia, which is why a kit that costs us about AUD$13K can cost them practically half.

Mods like bleed valves or removing bleed pills wont work as the likes with any modern ECU as it will all be closed loop control. Even the exhaust system will be hard to replace as there will be catalyst performance codes ie P0420. The best bet in the begining will be the pigyback ecus - however systems that drive the coils aka emanage wont work as there will be missfires codes that will be generated.

Believe it or not Australia is at the forfront of ECU technology just look at the XEDE which is used on the new 335ci TT BMW - thats 120k worth of car which was cracked in about a month after the release. I cant really see anything too hard in apadting the XEDE to the new GTR as I garuntee the crank trigger will be exactly the same as the 350Z which is 36-1.

Retuning the car via a CAN or K-line protocol will most likely take a fair while to determine the handshaking kernals but depending upon the ecu it may be able to be bootstrap loaded.

Just read this in an article....interesting but no surprises there...

"There are some further surprises in store for potential GT-R customers too, as Nissan is doing everything it can to discourage owners from modifying the GT-R in the future. Sophisticated data gathering devices have been installed to monitor performance parameters and detect any variance from the standard set-up. These include g-force sensors logging acceleration and braking and detectors recording combustion temperatures inside the engine. Any infringement discovered during routine software interrogations at the scheduled services could invalidate the factory warranty immediately. "

Of course at the end of the three years you can remove all this sensors etc and save yourself 50kg :worship:

Just read this in an article....interesting but no surprises there...

"There are some further surprises in store for potential GT-R customers too, as Nissan is doing everything it can to discourage owners from modifying the GT-R in the future. Sophisticated data gathering devices have been installed to monitor performance parameters and detect any variance from the standard set-up. These include g-force sensors logging acceleration and braking and detectors recording combustion temperatures inside the engine. Any infringement discovered during routine software interrogations at the scheduled services could invalidate the factory warranty immediately. "

Of course at the end of the three years you can remove all this sensors etc and save yourself 50kg :)

Any input sensor can be bent - if you catch my drift. There will be nothing new on the GTR that hasn't allready been done in the industry in terms of monitoring and clipping torque output. I wouldn't be too worried about the modding at this stage, they said the same about the XR6T when it came out and look at the aftermarket ford industry now.

more to the point Tony Alford ought a porsche turbo to run at targa and gave up trying to beat the computer, went back to his 32 instead. the cross checks are pretty damn complex these days and this could be a real problem for racing these cars. But I honestly can't see them stopping nismo or one of the jp shops "fixing" it

more to the point Tony Alford ought a porsche turbo to run at targa and gave up trying to beat the computer, went back to his 32 instead. the cross checks are pretty damn complex these days and this could be a real problem for racing these cars. But I honestly can't see them stopping nismo or one of the jp shops "fixing" it

He must have talked to the wrong people with the porsche but yes the checksum proceedure is far above most other ecu's - helps when you know guys internal to manufactuers.

Everyones talking about aftermarket this and that. With 475hp I'd like to see what it would make with even just 1 bar of boost and intake and exhaust restrictions removed which is the first port of call most people do with current GTR's. I think we may be pleasantly surprised. Its not to far off what the majority of moddifiers aim for in terms of power figures with current GTRs.

Btw does anyone have a link to what kind of engine internals it has? The only thing I've read is plasma coated bores.

Edited by BIGS

Any infringement discovered during routine software interrogations at the scheduled services could invalidate the factory warranty immediately. "

There's 2 things on this.

1. It says that it just logs the infringements so the dealer can invalidate the factory warranty. It doesn't say it drops the car into limp-back mode, like the XR6T tried to, to curtail the extra performance gained. So you'll still see gains from your mods.

2. The "voiding of the factory warranty for modifications" is FUD and everyone knows it. The law specifically states that the OEM can only invalidate a warranty if the modifications done caused the failure. Nissan's contractual warranty can never override the owner's statutory warranty, so it doesn't matter what they put down on paper. They could say you void your warranty if you ever drive your car past the speed limit, but it wouldn't mean jack shit.

So, basically, the situation is no different to it is on buying any Australian delivered car now. The only difference is, with all this data logging, that you're more likely to get caught if you do try and pull a swifty (like I've heard a lot of Silvia and WRX owners do, boosting their engines up without the correct supporting mods and blowing up the engine and then returning the car to stock and claiming "oh, I was just driving around normally and up it went for no apparent reason").

Believe it or not Australia is at the forfront of ECU technology

MoTeC. 'nuff said. :)

Also, one (if not the) most popular aftermarket ECUs for the V35 / Z33 is the UTEC by TurboXS. I'll probably get one in the future, as I'm running a Unichip.