SAU Community

Best Tires For Stretching

humz

sometime you will notice some tires will give a more stretched look than other tires of the same size on the same rim.

this is obviously caused by the design of the tire, more specifically the rim protector im assuming.

what i would like to know from your experiance, what model tire gives the best stretched look???

i like the bridgestone potenza re40- agressive side wall protector

also some falkens lok nice stretched

anymore guys? maybe even some pics of your stretched look skylines?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im looking into getting a set of even smaller tyres..

so im curirous about this too..

Whats the smallest size you can go on an 8" rim?

Are there any advantages/disadvantages with stretched wheels? Traction? something?

You're putting less rubber to the ground, so you're throwing away grip really... Maybe a little bit of stretch helps minimize sidewall flex and gives a more direct feel and improve predicability, but heaps of stretch like 225 on a 10" rim is pretty damn pointless.

^^^ 215 on an 8"rim isn't stretched at all!!! 195 is about as low as you could go before you start pushing it, but i personally wouldn't want to run a tyre that small anyway. I'm running a 205/50/16 on my 8" rims and it only looks a little bit stretched...

Most things soft will work well, stay away from nanga's and cheap hard crap, i'm going 225 SPMAXX's on my 19X10's (hopefully) I'm not worried about traction, using $50 fuldah discontinued stock at the moment so can't get much more slippery hehe

Try avoid rims with "sidewall protection" as these generally have these generally sit funny and limit flex

Edited by GTAAAH

Im looking into getting a set of even smaller tyres..

so im curirous about this too..

Whats the smallest size you can go on an 8" rim?

Are there any advantages/disadvantages with stretched wheels? Traction? something?

when you put a tyre on a rim that is larger than recommended you will distort the tyres contact patch - reduce grip/stability and encourage irregular wear and run the high risk of popping the tyre of the rim.

when you put a tyre on a rim that is larger than recommended you will distort the tyres contact patch - reduce grip/stability and encourage irregular wear and run the high risk of popping the tyre of the rim.

I've hit kerbs running 195 on 10inch (see pic below), bent the rim and the tyre hasn't popped off. If you manage to pop any tyre off any rim then please teach me how to do it.

post-18999-1195044892_thumb.jpg

Edited by dodgybrooks

I've hit kerbs running 195 on 10inch (see pic below), bent the rim and the tyre hasn't popped off. If you manage to pop any tyre off any rim then please teach me how to do it.

:laugh: 195's ON A 10" RIM!?!

wooooow

pic didnt load properly..

Did you loose traction easy?

Edited by GTS4WD

that's the most ridiculous tyre fitment i've ever seen :worship:

I remeber reading somewhere that with strechted tyres you loose traction surface area from (as you face the car) left to righ.. but you gain it front to back?

Is this true?..

If so can somonoe explain?

Bridgestones with the sidewall protectors stretch the best in my experience, GIIIs, RE050s and all the rest.

Toyos are shite.

Hankooks stretch ok for something you might be shredding on a regular basis (rears).

I remeber reading somewhere that with strechted tyres you loose traction surface area from (as you face the car) left to righ.. but you gain it front to back?

Is this true?..

If so can somonoe explain?

Not true. You will lose grip all round.

Tyres are designed by computers - The whole design process is based around a certain range of rim width sizes. If you put a tyre on a rim that is to large you will make the tread surface convex, on a rim that is too small you will make it convex - effectively removing tread therefore grip from the road surface.

That is why the shape of sidewalls has evolved - to create an omptimum contact patch with even contact pressure on the recommended rim widths.