SAU Community

the knowledge base in this forum astonishes me

Hey all

After joining and reading this forum for a solid 2 weeks now, the amount of knowledge that I have absorbed is astonishing. What I want to know is, as a 17 year old who knows a decent bit about cars (specifically jap cars), speaks the language of the skyline's home country almost fluently (japanese...), and is soo very eager to learn an infinitely larger amount of information about these beautiful cars is, how do all you guys (and girls!) know so much about them? I mean, some of the stuff i've read on here is like WHOA. Do a lot of you people have professional mechanical qualifications? Do you own importing dealerships? whats the story? I want to know what advice you guys have for a keen young bloke like myself, in terms of how I can come to know as much as you guys do.

Thanking you guys in advance,

-badman

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by RedLineGTR

speaka e english??

who asked you? kind of funny that you take offence to us speaking japanese on a forum based around cars that never would have graced your driveway without people like myself and akeenan who are bilingual and are the link between here and japan... :)

haha why thank you badman ...... being one of the "girls" and speaking a mediocre amount of japanese i would like to thank you for those comments ....... but to tell you the truth the amount Ive learnt from these forums is enormous and these days i freak even guys out about my knowledge of cars :)

Welcome to our forums we all hope u find it useful :(

Lauren

Oregato!! :D

I did it all the same way as you probably well, Started read car forums and Car magazines at about 16, and over time the entire jigsaw starts to fit together, ask questions, ask for help if you need it because there are always people smarter than you...

Keep on learning.

Greg.

People like Sydneykid should be highly appreciated.

He has put in a hell of a lot and hardly ever receives.

Good Bloke.

I've learnt an unbelievable amount from this forum.

When I can I try to help people the best I can. Thats the aim of the game.

Originally posted by badman

how cute! gaijin japanese hehe  

its actually "arigatou" lauren... to avoid any future confusion?!! :(

Cmon it aint that bad seeing im drawing on info i learnt 5 years ago!!! :) haha i will take it up again one day mainly to decipher whats on that god damn dymo tape on the drivers door of my car!!

Agreed! I've gained plenty of knowledge from these forums, both directly and indirectly. Doomo arigato gozaimashita :D

Originally posted by badman

who asked you? kind of funny that you take offence to us speaking japanese on a forum based around cars that never would have graced your driveway without people like myself and akeenan who are bilingual and are the link between here and japan...  :)

Apologies if I'm putting words into people's mouths here, but I don't believe there was any malicious intent in Redline's post. I think it was more a case of "I don't understand English, care to fill me in?", not "don't speak Japanese ya tossers" :D

I for one appreciate the guys who can fluently speak both English and Japanese, it makes deciphering manuals, underbonnet stickers and other bits and pieces much less painful. I used to study Japanese at school, apparently I got up to the level of a 12 year old or something, woohoo :( After not using it for more than 7 years though, to say I'm rusty is an understatement :)

yeah, i agree with Revhead. Trust me, there was no ill intent regarding RedLineGTR's post, he just wanted to know what was going on...

I too would like to thank all u peeps out there in SAU land. I don't even have a Skyline! but have gained and learned A LOT from here over the past year or so. I think one of my first post was "what does a turbo do?" :), can we all say n-e-w-b-i-e? heheh. But everyone here is hella cool and 99% will be super helpful. I'm also amazed at the wealth/depth of knowledge on these forums and most of the talk is waaay over my head most the time, but i'm slowly getting there.

welcome and cheers!

I drive the skyline and my gf speaks/translates japanese... its a perfect world... :)

I just learn as I go, every time my car plays up I learn how to fix it, every time I see a new mod being done to a car I find out how it works and what it does, how much it costs, what are the alternates etc.

Sooner or later you have sorta like a map of the car, so say sumone says, I want a new seat, you go:

ah yeh, there's R34 GTR seats, recaros, bride seats etc. Then you pull out the GT-R mag (in japanese) and pull the yen prices from there and you multiply it by roughly 2 times to get the price of the unit landed at your house.

That's just an example, but yeah, just be curious and you'll learn a lot. Hell I used to drive a 180sx, knew shit bout RB engines cept for the fact that an R32 GTR had one, and that I wanted one.

Oh yeah I know a lil hiragana but 0 kanji, so that dun help when half the manuals are in kanji. Spoken dialect is a different thing.

Here's my sad arse attempt at a bit of jap...

skylinesaustralia ‚̃tƒH[ƒ‰ƒ€‚Ö‚ÌŠ½Œ}

dunno if that's right... oh and u'll need a jap font installed on ya PC.