SAU Community

Oils Aint Oils - Or Are They?

gt-v35

Is it worth forking 50+ dollars to pay for premium engine oil or are we better off just sticking to the standard ones in the 30-40 mark...

My machanic thinks theres not much difference in that category and more a case of how often it is changed, but i Was thinking of picking up the shell ultra or castrol edge(both are 5w30)...just to be sure...

The manual recommends 5w30 but says 10w30 is alrite too

Im thinking that the oil filter is the same as the 350z as it is the same engine but not 100% sure...is this rite?

I have used Motul Chrono and Comp for months and months once upon a time...

Until my uncle told me to try Nulon 100% synthetic oil, its Oz made and half the price of Motul - his been running this oil in his car which has serious rwkw and hasnt had a problem.

Ive been using this oil for the last 4 oil changes and i believe its good bang for buck, for everyday street use this oil is pretty good but when it comes to the track i dont know how it would rate with Motul

post-29076-1195346505_thumb.jpg

Edited by SLYNE

those oils you mention gt-v35 are too thin for old turbo engines, being used in warm weather and driven hard

mechanic friend of mine recommennds at least 15W50 or 60 weight oil. you'll notice the difference in oil pressure straight away

i use 10/40 mobil. but the last service i used the valvoline 15/50 dura blend. iv been told when you use an oil on your car to stick with it, mixing other oils all the time can cause trouble.

does the original user manual/booklet tell you to use syntetic based or sythetic blended oils?

in a magazine write up they tested sythetic based oils and found that they can cause serious problems for your lifters ect.

i will look for the article maybe someone may have mentioned this in another thread.

Edited by 4drftn

I used German Castrol 5w40 for the last change, car seems to run fairly smooth, didn't seem to quieten down the lifters too much...

It hasn't got over 85 degrees yet in the GTR but it wasn't been driven too hard. I might be able to go German Castrol 0w30 which would apparently be even better for the engine.

Oh, and read the in-depth discussion here if you want to know what's best for your engine:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/go...0&start=760

Edit: Oops, most of the info I refer to was R33 GTR. The oil thread is mostly RB engines too, it wouldn't hurt to discuss the V35 info as well.

I didn't know there as a V-series section of the forums...

sh@un - this is the v35 section, thus "old turbo engines" isn't relevant here :ermm:

i recently did an oil change and used motul 8100 fully synthetic (5w40). car runs great no issues at all

i also used a ryco oil filter part number z436

when i went to repco, they searched VQ35 and had a different part number listed for the z33 and v35, so naturally i got the v35 oil filter which was z436

also when changing oil, its very easy as the filter is right next to the sump nut! the only issue is that you have to remove approx 25 10mm bolts to take the underside cover off just to get to the sump!

a small price to pay for awesome aerodynamics!

Edited by WazR32GTSt

• 3 months later...

I used Castrol Edge Sport which is 5W-30 (as recommended by gt-V35). The car seems to run smoothly, but I can hear one of the lifters tapping a bit.

One question, how much oil did you put into yours? When I emptied mine a little over 5L seemed to come out, so I put the 5L in. I found through-out the whole process (at 2L, 3L and 4L) that I couldn't read the dipstick - there was always alot of oil smeared on it.

Thanks, Ben.

Ben, what car are you talking about?

(you have R32 GTS4 in your profile)

when i changed the oil on my V35 coupe, i just put in about 3L, gave it a few minutes to settle then checked it. i did this adding about 500mL at a time from there until it read full

then i started the car, let it run for about 5 minutes, then shut it off and let is stand for 10 minutes

then i read the oil level again and topped it up a little (as oil fills the filter etc after it has been run for the first time)

i then checked the oil level about a week later to make sure it was full and it sure was!

as for reading the dipstick, remember to pull it out, wipe it clean, then insert it fully and take it out again. always read the second time after you have wiped the dipstick. you should easily be able to see the oil level that way

Edited by WazR32GTSt

Thanks Waz32GTSt. The trick is to let the engine settle betfore using the dip stick. I found that if I turned it on I couldn't get a dip for a bit. I had to let out a half - one glass of oil as I found that I had over filled it to a bit over the H. Yep, you were right, a little under 5L.

I've used Royal Purple for my last change I did my self, and the workshop who did all my fluids on the weekend highly recommend it and use it on all there cars, so i got them to put it in again.

They swear by it and use it in everything from R34 GTR's to EVO's.

It's the only oil I've put in the V35, but I remeber the first change I did and it was a big improvement over what was in there.

I've got a 250GT, and i've just done an oil change using magnatec 10w-40. The users manual recommends 10w-40 for the widest range or external conditions, so i figured it was the safest bet.

What do you guys reckon.

I've got a 250GT, and i've just done an oil change using magnatec 10w-40. The users manual recommends 10w-40 for the widest range or external conditions, so i figured it was the safest bet.

What do you guys reckon.

I've used 10w 40 in all my changes as well, and have had no probs. We have a warm climate here in Aus so I think the 10/40 is fine.

i recently did an oil change and used motul 8100 fully synthetic (5w40). car runs great no issues at all

i also used a ryco oil filter part number z436

when i went to repco, they searched VQ35 and had a different part number listed for the z33 and v35, so naturally i got the v35 oil filter which was z436 ]

Hey War32

I checked this filter number today- it said it was for a Mazda and Subaru! SO I thought Id doubled check again that I had written it down properly. It was only $12 for that one. Sound right?? :)

i have tried alot of diffrent oils in my cars over the years, yet for a car i drive hard alot ive found the best to be neo gold, sold at gc corp, i know my cars a 32, yet me and my mates use this oil in pretty much all our cars, silvias, evos, skylines, turbo nxr, golf gti, passat turbo ect

sold here http://www.gccorp.com.au

http://www.gccorp.com.au/automotive/index.php?cPath=54_57

Hey War32

I checked this filter number today- it said it was for a Mazda and Subaru! SO I thought Id doubled check again that I had written it down properly. It was only $12 for that one. Sound right?? :)

can't remember how much i paid, it was a while ago

the part number i quoted was 100% for the VQ35 i have it instaleld on my car and it came up in the book

did you check under nissan?

Hey War32

I checked this filter number today- it said it was for a Mazda and Subaru! SO I thought Id doubled check again that I had written it down properly. It was only $12 for that one. Sound right?? :(

I changed my oil filter a couple of months back and do remember reading on the box that it would be suitable for Mazda and Subaru. The person at the counter rekons to just ignore the make details.

So far no problems for me :)

I changed my oil filter a couple of months back and do remember reading on the box that it would be suitable for Mazda and Subaru. The person at the counter rekons to just ignore the make details.

So far no problems for me :(

Thanks Guys Ill give it a whirl.

:(