SAU Community

S15 Vs Skyline

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't S15's be in the same price bracket as an R34? or are they between 33's and 34's?

I think the S15 is in the same price range as the R34. Both mid to high $20k.

Edited by adam-__-

Stop being a girl.

Mazda RX7 FD... What Skyline ? What S15 ?

and in the wet.....what tree? :blush:

Dont those rotaries have issues with reliability? Sure they're quick and no doubt fun, but at the end of the day I'd take the 34GTR that cliffo has now mentioned he is looking at getting.

comparing the S15 to the R34 GTT is a different story to the rest of this thread. IMO the SR20 doesn't come close to the RB25NEO but it really depends what kind of package you prefer. For me, the silvias are too light and harder to keep straight when you have your foot to the floor, and the build quality is not as good as the skylines of the same year. Also the skyline looks tougher (to me anyway).

But then I'm biased cos my stagea has the R34 NEO engine. Off boost its performance will rival that of a n/a silvia (s13 at least, not sure about s15), even though its ~570kg heavier.

So many people saying sell sell - I say don't sell... the S15 runs a SR20 - that's a 4 cylinder 2.0 litre turbo versus a 2.5 litre 6 cylinder turbocharged Skyline... the S15 looks hideous and is piss weak... sure, some are heavily modified and yes, mods vs mods etc - but trust me, stock for stock - jump in a S15 Silvia and you will regret it - you will feel a power drop for sure.

But yes, S15 is newer and does look slick as well - I do like their interior but looks-wise, a R33 rules imo.

I would never get a S15.

If I were to upgrade, R33 GTR full stop.

Besides the other guys pointing out this guys stupidity;

A JDM spec S15 comes stock with 184kw, not to mention they're a SHITLOAD lighter than a R33, or any skyline for that matter. I'd take an S15 over a 33 gtst skyline anyday.

Besides the other guys pointing out this guys stupidity;

A JDM spec S15 comes stock with 184kw, not to mention they're a SHITLOAD lighter than a R33, or any skyline for that matter. I'd take an S15 over a 33 gtst skyline anyday.

so all you care about is power and weight...? I've driven a S13 silvia and even with just 153kw at the flywheel (later with more due to exhaust, ~20kw increase) it was very hard to control under boost due to the lack of weight at the rear. Just the fact that they are RWD and there is no weight above the rear wheels, makes them great for drifting but not great for overall control. I now have a (MUCH heavier) stagea and with almost the same power-weight ratio, I can overtake cars on the highway in the stagea with just one hand on the wheel, whereas it took two hands and careful steering to do the same in the silvia. Cant say if this is the same with the S15 or not. I found the silvia "drifted" side to side a lot more at high speed than the stagea does.

Not saying they're "bad" or anything, just that a skyline (lets say R34 since this is more the same price point and same year) would feel a lot more "planted".

Still has a lot to do with personal preference IMO. For me, the power vs weight is only one factor out of a whole range of factors from driveability, passenger space, luggage space, features, and looks (but not in that order).

hmmm...

i think tis topic have been discussed b4....

but anyways....

i was also shopping for a car 6 months ago.

same question on my mind s15 and r34gtt/ was looking at a r33gtr - a day to late... someone bought it.

tis two was on my list.

test drive both, power wise gtt.

argee on the part - if u r tall n big sized (forget about the s15). i am a small dude n i find the s15 is crampy even my hair is touching the roof.

but according to some mechanics tat i have ask.

s15 = more difficult for u to extract power from the sr20. (not sure if it was the jap spec or aus spec)

gtt = its easier to extract power from the rb25 engine. same mods u put into both car and the rb25 will have more gain over the sr20.

go RB is u wan power.

s15 caught my eye bcos of its looks and design.

its all up to u in the end....

choose one tat u really like/ suits u, not on ppls opinion. as u can see ppl with gtt will ask u to get the gtt. plp with gtr = go GTR. ppl with S15 go buy S15.

my 2.5 penny.

You do realise that S13's had a redtop SR20, completely different to the (and I'm assuming we are talking JDM S15) Blacktop?

Comparing an S13 to a S15 to a 33gtst to a RB25Neo is like...well stupid.

duh. I was saying that even with 153kw it was very easy to spin the rear wheels, so considering the blacktop SR20 has 184kw (JDM only, otherwise its only 147kw for the aus one) it would make the situation worse, not better. I'd guess the S15 is heavier all-round so it would probably have improved a bit but all I was saying is that sometimes lighter is not necessarily better. You need a certain amount of weight in the car (both front and rear) to give adequate control at high speed.

I was comparing the S15 to a GTT (neo) since these are in the same price point. Comparing to a 33gtst is not as easy because price would then also come into the equation...because if you spent the same money on a 33 as what it would cost to buy a stock S15, the 33 would own it in almost every way.

Also, for the record, there isn't actually that much difference between the red and black top SR20's. The later blacktop has vvt. and a few more kw and a tiny wee bit more torque, but its in a heavier car. The early blacktop SR20's had almost no advantage over the redtop as far as performance is concerned.

So my experience with the S13 ought to at least count for something here...Other than the exterior shape, i'm guessing the design of the "silvia" didn't change much from S13 to S15.

He's going an R34 GTR? WTF? There's a slight change in the plan.

Not a perfect plan i'll add. More expensive (nothing less than $50K), higher insurance premium, more cost to maintain and mod, more thieving eyes on it blah blah blah.

It's the best of the pack but comes at a price. If you're happy to make the sacrifice then good luck to you.

I cant believe some of the crap in this thread. Some of u guys have to open your minds a bit and get out there and drive these cars rather then quote power figures.

The SR20DET respondes to mods HEAPS better than the RB25DET. RB25 has 2 cylinders too many and .5l too much in my opinion. Your kidding yourself if u don't think the SR has incredible output and versatility for a 2ltr. And the S15 is a great chasis.

I love skylines as much as everyone else here but u gotta take ur hat off to the SR.

I cant believe some of the crap in this thread. Some of u guys have to open your minds a bit and get out there and drive these cars rather then quote power figures.

The SR20DET respondes to mods HEAPS better than the RB25DET. RB25 has 2 cylinders too many and .5l too much in my opinion. Your kidding yourself if u don't think the SR has incredible output and versatility for a 2ltr. And the S15 is a great chasis.

I love skylines as much as everyone else here but u gotta take ur hat off to the SR.

I've driven an S15 many times and own an R33. I agree, the SR is a great engine and the Silvia has a great chassis, more balanced from factory than a GT-T in fact.

But no, the RB is a better engine. An extra 0.5L displacement is not too much, it makes it a better motor with MUCH more low-mid range torque. You're talking sh*t to say more cylinders and CC's are bad. Comparing the SR to a heavy V-12, yes the SR will be more responsive. But you're wrong in saying the SR is better (its weaker, i've seen 2 blow in last couple months) and responds better to mods (the same mods on both engines= more KW from an RB).

The SR is a four banger for cheap street thrills. The RB is a true tuner's engine.

don listen to anyone here.....

absorb their opinions and go test drive the car ur self.

theres no harm (u got the money in ur pocket)

see which one makes u feel happy/comfortable/ sexy.

then buy it.

I drove a friends R33 GTS-T. Quite responsive for what it is and he just had a pod filter and cat back exhaust.

I have been in a S13 and that was fast too but personaly I like the look of the S15 better and it can be done up very nice. I see too many R33 GTS-Ts around and its become a bit too common.

Powerwise you probley achive more out of the R33 but you drink more fuel hence the bigger engine.

Quote by R338OY "The SR is a four banger for cheap street thrills. The RB is a true tuner's engine." Easy bro, lol!

SR20DET can make an awesome drift car.

Haha RB25 is a true tuners dream?? omg thats the quote of the century.

Do u know the RB25 is hardly modified in japan? I trekked japan for 5 weeks searching for parts back in 2001....i kept repeating "Aru Bee twenty five" and the most common response was "sowee only Ess Aru twenty". Never saw one R33 gts OR gtr!!! Anyways at least its well loved here....not a hater of the 33, dude i had one for 6years. Love the car in general but i know to give credit where credits due.

I'm sorry to burst ur typical skyline owner bubble man, but ur not driving the greatest car/engine on earth.

Haha RB25 is a true tuners dream?? omg thats the quote of the century.

Do u know the RB25 is hardly modified in japan? I trekked japan for 5 weeks searching for parts back in 2001....i kept repeating "Aru Bee twenty five" and the most common response was "sowee only Ess Aru twenty". Never saw one R33 gts OR gtr!!!

LOL! try asking for ARU BEE Twenty SIX and see what they can say :D

sell the 33 and buy a 34. nuff said :D

or a 32 gtr.... sound is an issue here and i personally find the sound of sr20det to be nurve crunching rather than the calming note of the rb 20/25/26