SAU Community

S15 Vs Skyline

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D correct me if i am wrong....

have anyone heard of a Skyline with a SR20det transplant?

mostly heard of Silvias with rb engine transplant only....

I have seen a Skyline V35 with a SR20DET transplant. The garage tuning house Signal Auto in Japan did it and made it a 2.2lt

2003 Nissan Skyline V35

engine.gif

blipbox.gif SR20DET

blipbox.gif 2.2L Toda Displacement

blipbox.gif Toda Cams

blipbox.gif Toda Connecting Rods

blipbox.gif Toda Pistons

blipbox.gif Toda Valvesprings

blipbox.gif Toda Cam Gears

blipbox.gif HKS F-Con V-Pro

blipbox.gif HKS Turbo Manifold

blipbox.gif Sard 600cc Injectors

blipbox.gif Splitfire Coilpack

blipbox.gif Greddy TD-06 Turbo

blipbox.gif Greddy Spark Plugs

blipbox.gif Greddy Profec-B Boost Controller

blipbox.gif Trust Wastegate

blipbox.gif V-Mount Intercooler

blipbox.gif V-Mount Radiator

blipbox.gif Chrome Valve Cover

blipbox.gif R33 GT-S Transmission

blipbox.gif Cusco LSD

blipbox.gif Signal Custom Shift Kit

blipbox.gif Signal Custom Shift Lever

blipbox.gif Exedy Hyper Single Clutch

REF - http://www.jtuned.com/content/templates/st...15&zoneid=2

Pure Drift Car!!!

Edited by (00)SKYLINE(00)

I've driven both. The engines respond differently. The SR20DET seems to have more low down torque and usually gets off the mark a fraction of a second quicker, but this is purely down to the weight advantage.

The RB25DET is superior at mid to top end rev range.

*They both consume about the same amount of fuel believe it or not.

In the end though, if you want to modify the S15 then use it for drifting as it's not the best planted car going around, especially in the wet. The Skyline is a more solid car all over and gives greater driver confidence.

S15 has no ABS. Not sure if JDM S15 came with HICAS though?

Looks wise, the S15 looks sleek. The R34 looks tough.

Go for a test drive of both and decide. If you still can't decide after taking them for a drive, then just get a GTR because it is superior to both.

I've driven both. The engines respond differently. The SR20DET seems to have more low down torque and usually gets off the mark a fraction of a second quicker, but this is purely down to the weight advantage.

The RB25DET is superior at mid to top end rev range.

*They both consume about the same amount of fuel believe it or not.

In the end though, if you want to modify the S15 then use it for drifting as it's not the best planted car going around, especially in the wet. The Skyline is a more solid car all over and gives greater driver confidence.

S15 has no ABS. Not sure if JDM S15 came with HICAS though?

Looks wise, the S15 looks sleek. The R34 looks tough.

Go for a test drive of both and decide. If you still can't decide after taking them for a drive, then just get a GTR because it is superior to both.

I cannot believe the SR has more torque than the RB25.. unless you mean the 2.0L the rb ... i also cant believe the rb's top end is better... Were you driving an rb with stock cams ? if not that would go a long way to explaining your experience with the rb. the s15 should hold a higher cornering speed and maintain better lateral G through a corner... we are talking about an gts not a gtr right ?

the power delivery in an s15 is a crap load more "peaky" in my experience but my experience was from a track oriented (read not drifting) s15 setup... yes my mate doesnt like to drift his 30k s15... I call fair.. fun to punt ab out with his though.. The suspension was revised / refreshed.. the power was slightly upped but not massively.. so I cant talk about a stock turb s15 but I understand similar sized turbo to my 33's stock on a block half a litre smaller.. so not likely to give a savage increase in torque low down. the rb25 has a higher comp ratio stock so those 2 items together do not lend themselves to each other.

a 34 with an R front end is tough looking... but the s15 looks better in allot of ways.. the front isnt as tough but non series 1's get females wet.

non abs is definetly a more controllable option provided your always awake and conscious of what your doing when driving.. for those times when your less aware the abs saves you.

ps in the wet niether car are good ideas for use with mild / heavy throttle... as in any car with a typical turbo power delivery.. that sudden bump in torque tends to strip a week of use of your tyres even though you let it go straight away.. im not talking locked throttle but it will give you a chance to find the clutch and correct the stearing a bit.

ps my daily is a 33 gts I love it... but reality is reality eh. I haven't driven an s15 anywhere near as much but have taken it to the edge of its (and my own) capability on more that one occasion to find myself swinging through the cones and ending up looking like a fool passenger. I can definetly stablise myself better with the brakes... (provided they are balanced well) I have to say the s15 will change its direction ALLOT better (not performing miracles) and be allot more forgiving to mistakes... once the 33 steps out farther than you like its a howling roller coaster holding onto you butt.

hoping it wont be to painful. this is mostly due to weight though I don't think an s15 feels that much lighter.. tinnier definetly...

the 33t... initial turn in is awsome and if your not into savage sliding will perform very well... hell I can pull a faster lap in it... but the slightly loose chasis twist on turn in might be why it has that whip lash effect on the end... the s15 is a tighter chassis for sure which is probably why its more forgiving to stupidity.

I have owned both cars. In my opinion the S15 is the better car, but the R33 is better value for money or bang for buck.

The long answer is a bit tougher.

S15:

Looks very nice

Lighter (better handling, but not by the vast amount some people make out) Al

Better on fuel.

Newer (less age problems, less dated styling)

Engine has more aftermarket support than RB25 (also rebuilds are much cheaper)

Looks fantastic with (tasteful) large scale cosmetic mods

MUCH nicer interior

R33

Stronger engine/gearbox from the factory.

Back seats can actually be used

Looks more aggressive stock (series 2, S1 look POS)

Egine note & induction sounds are fantastic

Cheap to buy

Drive them both and decide yourself is the only real answer

i love my skylines and have owned 32, 33, 34 gtst as well as 2 gtr's and an S15.

from a performance point of view the S15 shits all over the gtst (not gtr). mine was a jap spec with 184kw standard. it has a much better turbo than all the skyines including all the gtr's. on the standard S15 turbo the s15 pulled 210rwkw.. on the same dyno standard turboed gtst's couldnt match that.

so from my experience an S15 will pull atleast equal/often more power for the same mods, with a lot more weight. although the S15 is a bit harsher/rougher to drive everyday than a gtst, altough from a perfromance point of view theS15 wins hands down.

people who think that s15 are weak little 4 bangers are in the same league as bogans thinking their big block V8 will destroy every gtr on the road.

are you sure?

'cos i have owned R33 GTS-t and it shits all over my friend s15, and yes it is jap sepc as well. both car stocks (only fmic/exhaust,pod) i managed to pull 1/2 car but probably 3/4 car,i'm not too sure,

210 rwkw standard?? u gotta be kidding me. coz my friend s15 was dynoed at around 180 rwkw and mine was 213 rwkw

well anyway thats the fact from me.

lol the r34 s15 dilemma gets everyone. . test driving a car cant always tell you wat its gonna be like.

hell my vr v8 commodore was probably more fun then my r34, handled like a whale on jelly and braked worse, but it all added to making it alot more fun!

Edited by Granthem

• 2 weeks later...

I think this thread has generated some awesome points of view.

But it's labelled wrong- a fairer comparison is "S15 Vs R34" as Nissan produced them around the same time. The R33 should be compared to the S14. The 33 was made in '93, and you want to compare it to a '99 Silvia? Of course the S15 will beat it, it's newer and sleek.

From these labels i think Skylines have the edge.

At the end of the day, choosing a car should be an act of passion. You will be drawn to one or the other.

I don't know why, but my favourite Nissan is the R33 GTR, don't ask me to explain. I know the R34 GTR is better in every way but i'm drawn to the 33 more :no:

They're in different classes also. You should compare classes (based on Price, target market, engine capacity/pistons, AWD/RWD/FWD) i.e. Skyline vs Supra, Integra vs Celica, Commodore vs Falcon.

Comparing Skyline vs Silvia is like comparing tits and ass.

Edited by R338OY

personally i'd rather be driving a nice series 2 R33 gtst over an s15. never liked silvias, i hate the SR's

your comparing a series1 r33 which is pretty old now to a new car (s15) i'd only choose the s15 because i can get more money out of it when i sell it.