Manifolds Do They Don't They

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 6 months later...

Bought the 2nd one in the pic, now has about a 6cm long crack.. has done less than 3000KMS.. complete waste of money being sold on ebay by some dude, seriously would not touch this with a 10 foot pole again. Mate has same mods turbo/computer/injectors etc and makes like 10KW more on 95 octane not 98. So yeh, tommorow ill get the crack TIG welded up.. and ill be taking my stock manifold to be honed etc. Have a HKS GT3037 Pro S.. i dont even think the surface of the flange mated with the turbo correctally as when i pulled it off the Gasket came apart in 2 peices and was melted out through the bottom. I like the HPI ones that just jap sell.. they even give a 12 month warrenty. I contacted the seller and was advised that no warrenty is given on ebay purchases... (figures).

Bought the 2nd one in the pic, now has about a 6cm long crack.. has done less than 3000KMS.. complete waste of money being sold on ebay by some dude, seriously would not touch this with a 10 foot pole again. Mate has same mods turbo/computer/injectors etc and makes like 10KW more on 95 octane not 98. So yeh, tommorow ill get the crack TIG welded up.. and ill be taking my stock manifold to be honed etc. Have a HKS GT3037 Pro S.. i dont even think the surface of the flange mated with the turbo correctally as when i pulled it off the Gasket came apart in 2 peices and was melted out through the bottom. I like the HPI ones that just jap sell.. they even give a 12 month warrenty. I contacted the seller and was advised that no warrenty is given on ebay purchases... (figures).

well thats shit i was thinking of may be a top mount for my 3037 pro s

Have a real good look at your exhaust before you consider bolting up another manifold be it s/steel exh. manifold.

If your exhaust is hung incorrectly it will cause your exhaust manifold to crack. The exhaust cannot place any weight on the manifold what so ever be it bouncing or what not otherwise it WILL crack the manifold.

You'll find the HPI manifolds won't cover an incorrectly hung exhaust - the scary thing is you pay ~1.2k for one where as the dude on ebay sells them for less than half the price for the same thing.

Hang your exhaust correctly and you won't have to worry + its always wise to inspect the manifold before fitment.

So even if you get it welded its a damn cheap manifold compared to buying the same thing/hpi for 1k. :S

the crack was not from it being hung incorrectally.. Its the HKS full bolt in kit which comes with everything including the dump pipe. It then goes into a Blitz 3" front pipe and into a highflow cat all mounted with brackets to the factory locations, Attached is a pic.

2n6tfs5.jpg

Once again, i would have prefered to have spent the extra money to begin with and bought the HPI one.

Regardless if you think you have good setup by throwing around hks/blitz etc it makes no difference. Make 100% sure there's no weight being put on the back of the turbo.

Remove your dump pipe bolts and all bets it doesn't simply sit there. Check all your rubbers make sure they are firm and not loose as a bouncing exhaust is just as bad as a badly hung exhaust.

actuallly i had to take the dump off to change the turbo to manifold gasket... (the studs pulled out on most of the dump pipe bolts) and no there was no weight on it, i simply got under the car.. slid the stud in and did it up once i had pulled the turbo off far enough to change the bolt. also when i initially fitted this i needed to cut down a stud as it was hitting the collector :P..

Is that an adapter plate?

You would have had to originally stuff around with the alignment which you haven't mentioned you have done as of yet. Just that it just lines up which is a tad hard to believe as I've also done all the work on my own car and others and nothing ever just lines up. :P

huh? i dont have any adapter plates? turbos bolted straight to manifold.. :P i can def see ur point though.. thats why i made them custom make the bracket to go around the blitz pipe to hold it to the factory location. I was worried about the exhaust getting smashed and it doing damage.

Well if its 100% hung well (like myself lol) with no weight and the exhaust doesn't bounce around get it welded and be thankfull you saved $750 on the purchase of the manifold.

Big deal if it cost a small amount to repair. IMO its worth the 'small' risk. :P

EDIT:.. shit loads more than $750. Just jap now sell them for $1699. Thats a HUGE ~$1200 saving!!!

i have spoken to hpi japan and they said that the manifold is not made for a 3037 and that it would crack over time .

thats why i never got one and am still looking for something good in a low mount but it looks like there is nothing.

i have spoken to hpi japan and they said that the manifold is not made for a 3037 and that it would crack over time .

thats why i never got one and am still looking for something good in a low mount but it looks like there is nothing.

Interesting... The 3037 is a fair heavy turbo.

Reinforce it SLYDA and you have a bargain of a manifold on your hands. Be thankful you didn't spend the $1699 price tag others are wanting. :S

the funny thing is i started this post to see if someone had a dyno too see the power gains in a a/m manifold and still nothing ...lost of people guessing but no proof yet.i hope someone can show me what gains they got in hp/kw so i too can spend my money on one.

6boost manifolds are cheap, (as in price), i was just having a look at all jap brand manifolds, (HKS, Greddy, and a few others) they were all up around the 3g mark, and the HKS ones say they us the stainless steel SUS304 (not sure on grade that is but thought some1 put up earlier that, that is what alot of copies use), if i had money and a turbo i think i would go a 6boost manifold (maybe in a year) then just black heatwrap it :)

JV

• 9 months later...