SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

That is partly my problem, though with regards to Rev's comment you'd have to be pretty silly to legitimately suggest they offer zero benefit whatsoever even to someone who has no problems with sleep/recovery/diet. 99% of PWO users use them to mask a problem, but to suggest they're nothing more than a placebo even for those who don't have an underlying problem is nothing short of ignorant denial.

This will sound harsh but, 99% of PWO users don't know how to lift at 99%. They use the PWO's, I'd argue, because they think they are special foods with magic muscle unlocking powers.

Simple rule of thumb here is 'not banned substances' = don't work. Even some that are banned like caffiene , don't help you lift weights.

The only 'work' going on is belief, stimulated by a caffiene sensation and a sugar rush. And that belief is giving you a performance gain in your muscles of 0 . It's worse than that because you build up a tollerance to these ingredients over time. In caffiene's case you wind up being less alert. As the body will eventually need the caffiene to give you the same normal level of alertness you had before you took any. Then you will mistakenly assume the normal strength gains from weight training are linked to PWO. When you don't take it , you will feel withdrawal.

For the muscle you already have you are lifting at a sub standard level if these things as 'working' for you. The reason is learning to lift. I am not just talking about moving the weights mechanically right. It's the mental focus and CNS engagement and training. This isn't rocket science. A slap in the face or sniffing amonnia does a better job than a PWO.

Seriously , I did the pullup and bench challenges with my best effort powered by beer as a PWO. In the case of Bro-press that was a six pack of 6% IPA's.

For something that's an endurance / volume challenge my edge was not a PWO but, getting my mind in the lift and shutting out my beer fed desire to eat potato chips and sing Khe Sanh instead.

Edited by rev210

Bleh

Was doing lunges to finish my legs off. Unfortunately the kettlebells are in the crossfit section, where certificate 4s take their group clients for circuits. I start doing them and overhear a girl in a small group saying "should I be doing those things like that guy is".

I finish my firsf lap of lunges and now the group is picking up some kettlebells off the rack. I watch cert 4 let his client attempt lunges without demonstrating the exercise for her or even watching her form. I point out to him that she's doing it wrong, he doesn't think much of this. Then on my next lap I hear the girl saying "I'm worried about getting big muscula man legs"

I usually bite my tongue for this stuff because I probably come across aggressive when I'm struggling to breathe after exercise...but I couldn't resist going over and explaining to her why she was wrong. I said you're not going to get huge legs because you're a girl and you would have to eat a f**kload of food, and that female bodybuilder in the room next door with the lean but shapely legs (she agreed) has spent years and years trying to get big muscular man legs, probably taking lots of supplement along the way. I explained that what she would get is some nice weight loss and she should do as much strength training as she can because of catabolism and she agreed. I was shocked that cert 4 was not explaining this to her, instead letting her rattle off fears to the rest of the group. Do they teach them anything at these PT courses?

Then her skinny personal trainer asked if I'd just done my course or something...I said "nah, no formal qualifications...it's just broscience" lol. I'm too nice to say your piece of paper is worth less to your client than the roll of paper in the toilets. Needed Markos to say it for me!

Second cool story:

Was at work the other day and a girl asked how often I worked out. I said about 4 hours a week. She and her friends said no way, that it must be 4 hours a day. She said she works out more than that just to maintain "her" body. I lol'd and said "work smarter, not harder". Friends all laughed at her and said "you got told". Then they blamed it on me being an ectomorph, and wondered why I didn't accept any cake / sweet food later on. Ignorance is astounding!!! Cannot...help...everyone...

/strengthtrainingpropaganda

Does anyone know any simple ways to make cottage cheese taste better?

Effing hate the taste, but I want to eat it due to the benefits.

add pineapple!!!!!! yummy!!! (I'm obsessed with pineapple though...)

add honey

add sweet chilli sauce

add it to lasanga

add berries

add to scrambled eggs

add chocolate protein powder and cinnamon

hope that helps.

• Like 1

Peanut butter. Otherwise I think one of my mates (or even someone here) suggested the other day mixing it up with some WPI then chucking it in the freezer for a while, apparently comes out like cheesecake lol

I just eat the shit with a spoon or on rye biscuits

One thing I've noticed is that the lifters on this forum are generally of about the same stage of lifting as when my earlier newsletters came out, so the information is quite relevant.

Now that was 5 years ago, where the strongest lifter that ever joined my gym was squatting 130kg. The majority of my clients were novices, but I remember 3 strongish guys joining who could squat 130kg, back in 2008/2009, Nick, Kelly and Alen.

Now that you need to squat double that to simply make our Top 5, information has changed a little. Simply to make our Top 10 Bench list you need over 155kg, thats a paused in competition bench, I dont rank gym lifts.

In another 5 years things for my current clients could well be different again. From what I gather the majority of you guys havent cleared 140/100/180 kg yet, thats pretty much what I have always determined a novice to be.

When I started lifting in the 1980's, it was in pounds, 300/200/400 (137/91/181)

Anything beneath that means in lifting terms you are still a novice, thats how I've always ranked my lifters. If anyone thinks thats harsh, our youngest to best that is 14yo Liam Pannel, at 81kg he has performed 170/110/200 and our lightest is Jesse at 66kg and 19.

So regardless how long you've trained, when you join PTC, if you cant hit those weights, youre a Novice.

Interestingly enough a new guy, Gavin has just joined. He has competed in BB shows, now wants to PL, will be interesting to see how he goes.

So back to the info on the early newsletters, its very relevant to lots on here. From what I can tell, besides the guys from my gym that post on here, only Rev beats all those lifts. I'm sorry if I missed anyone.

160, 125, 190

wish i started years ago.

Edited by jangles

(before my lower back decided it was shit) I'd managed 140kg squat for 5 reps, depth was questionable but for a commercial gym I might as well have been sitting on the ground lol. Only recently I've been pushing on bench, and have managed a fairly easy (though not paused) 115kg bench. Prior to back again I managed 175kg deadlift.

Really gotta get my shoulder ROM shit sorted out so I can squat again!!! Actually missing them big time :( just sucks right now coz I get a horrific burning pain in my rear delts or thereabouts when I have the bar on my back (low bar). FML.

(before my lower back decided it was shit) I'd managed 140kg squat for 5 reps, depth was questionable but for a commercial gym I might as well have been sitting on the ground lol. Only recently I've been pushing on bench, and have managed a fairly easy (though not paused) 115kg bench. Prior to back again I managed 175kg deadlift.

Really gotta get my shoulder ROM shit sorted out so I can squat again!!! Actually missing them big time :( just sucks right now coz I get a horrific burning pain in my rear delts or thereabouts when I have the bar on my back (low bar). FML.

That will be your rhomboid, got that looked at?

Markos,

I read your beginner workout routine thread (quick skim read so I may have missed some things) over at AusBB (link for anyone who wants to see http://ausbb.com/power-lifting/9460-beginners-program.html), I have one question, when you say "You are a beginner if you cant bench 100kg, squat 140kg and deadlift 180kg. I dont care what your bodyweight is, get bigger, its why your lifting. Bodyweight is not an excuse."

are those numbers for reps or 1RM?

That will be your rhomboid, got that looked at?

Nah haven't had it looked at. Gave up on squats and deads at the same time due to constant flaring up of SIJ area and related muscles...though now when I come back to giving squats a shot, I simply can't get the bar into position with my hands on it (at any useful width) without this horrid pain. Would this be a physio's field if I were to see a professional about it?

Markos,

I read your beginner workout routine thread (quick skim read so I may have missed some things) over at AusBB (link for anyone who wants to see http://ausbb.com/power-lifting/9460-beginners-program.html), I have one question, when you say "You are a beginner if you cant bench 100kg, squat 140kg and deadlift 180kg. I dont care what your bodyweight is, get bigger, its why your lifting. Bodyweight is not an excuse."

Markos generally talks about using 1RM as a measure of strength, so I'd assume so.

Troy, I'm booking a physio today; really don't want to as I think physios and chiros are bullshit / a waste of money, but going to give it a go... If I am you should too!

Edited by L33SH

Markos,

You need to read a lot more if you have to ask these questions.