SAU Community

I'm Over Jap Cars

Flynnn

An entry level BMW or Merc is almost as bad as owning a non turbo line...

Buying a base model 318i and calling it a luxury BMW or a C180 or whatever you settle on, these are bottom of the line "luxury" cars. The engines are tiny thats why the price is affordable.

I'll tell you why the people in Toorak/Malvern etc will look at you funny... because when he drives past you in his new SL500 or BMW 760 he will still think the same whether your in a skyline or a 318i

My 2 cents... if your going to do it, do it right

I live in south yarra and go through toorak everyday. The majority of the BMW's and Mercs there are all entry model.

A lot of rich folk who drive BMW's and Merc's can barely drive. Why would they need a top spec model when there's only a few interior differences and the major difference being the engine. They don't buy them for the thrill they give you every time you jump behind the wheel. Most skyline drivers buy skyline's for the thrill they give you.

oh and don't forget most people driving luxo euros are leasing the car... they don't own sh!t

I agree 100%. They are leased, and usually upgraded to the latest model when they come out. Doesn't this save them on tax or something? Not 100% sure but some business owners lease it under the business' name and they're earnings come under a cheaper tax bracket? (Don't quote me on this but thats how I always thought it worked)

Wierd.. i'm australian asian and i gotta say it probably has more to do with the 'face' thing than the build quality. where my wife is from (malaysia) asians in the big smoke city drive mercs but alot of them prefer lexus's as they're seen more as a young persons car.

anywayz.. my response would be .. you've got what a 3-series beamer? ain't that like bottom end?

I agree to this too. It's more about image than build quality. And you can't generalise and say the 3-series bmw's are bottom end. They're aimed towads a different market than the 1/5/6/7/M series BMW's.

For a family car, would you rather a top spec 130i, or the entry level 318i? Being around the same price range i would still probably go for the 3 series being the larger car, even though it might not be as optioned up.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah totally get that ... maybe you'd get a 1 series if you were a hair dresser or something, and a 3 if you have a family.. but really guys who buy 318i's and think their cars are tops are tossers. if it were a 7 series however....

I agree to this too. It's more about image than build quality. And you can't generalise and say the 3-series bmw's are bottom end. They're aimed towads a different market than the 1/5/6/7/M series BMW's.

For a family car, would you rather a top spec 130i, or the entry level 318i? Being around the same price range i would still probably go for the 3 series being the larger car, even though it might not be as optioned up.

I would just go with a cheaper Jap alternative, probably a Camry or Accord.

3 series aren't the bottom of the BMWs but the 318is sure are the bottom of the 3's range.

I guess I probably wouldn't hate them as much if it weren't for the constant family friend's trying to show off their "new" BMWs (318is) & trying to show that they now belong to the rich group.

It would be a different story if they had 7xxs. I wouldn't mind having a 760 myself, that thing is massive & good at rubbing it in their faces.

Edited by Mayuri Krab

Mayuri Krab, why would you go for the cheaper jap alternative if you could afford a BMW?

And I get what you mean by family friends constantly trying to show them off. Have quite a few of them with BMW's etc.

It's pretty funny though. We drive a magna thats paid off unlike many family friends BMW's. At the end of the day though, who owns the better car? or who's car is worth more? Got to say our magna is, because technically they don't own the car.

It's all about image, get over it and drive something you can afford without a loan.

Can i just add, my work mate has a second hand merc... he hates the fking thing.. to do anything on it, you need some xyz tool. The latest dilemma he has is the power window on the passenger side doesn't work. Last time it was the water pump, i had to put up with his cussing all week long.

Oh God, this thread has totally derailed :(

I'll give credit where it's due, my current Skyline has never let me down and even to this day, it still retains its 150 compression rate which isn't too bad for a 10 year old that has gone through some "fangs" over the years since imported but I'm the kind of person that takes care of his ride. Overall a great car with a good built quality.. For it's price range and manufacturing year, it is undoubtedly a bang for your buck car and there isn't any other car out there that provides the same power and characteristics (coupe) of what i have now.. but i think its time to move on and explore new horizons. The current Japanese cars doesn't really meet any of my criteria, frankly, they lack in over all design and appeal. Any one who thinks a base model Series 3 with a price tag of $65k is a poor mans car has got to be fooling them selves. The series 3 make up almost 50% of BMW's overall car sales as the car is medium compact and meets buyers needs, you can't deny its sex appeal, especially the new shapes.

Some of you seem to love your Jap cars so much that you don't look for anything other than a Japanese brand, i call this ignorance.. if your Japanese cars were so great in engineering, would any one care to enlighten me why the Japs never seem to win any awards in engineering and design but it's always the Euros that take the crown over and over again every year? Japs are only good at taking (copying) other manufacturers (namely euro brands) certain engineering elements and implementing them on their cars, providing these reverse engineered products at a cheaper rate.

Just a heads up, the new 3 series no longer come with a 318.. the 2005+ model engine range from 320 (4 cylinder) to 335 (6 cylinder twin turbo).. I was looking into V35's but truth to be told, the cars design is fkn shit.

Edited by Barbarian

Lexus managed to grab the title for once and good on them, however, do you notice the cars over all design, how simple and plain it looks. You would never come across a Mercedes as plain as that Lexus :(

The World Car of the year runner ups, all Euro brands.

Some of you seem to love your Jap cars so much that you don't look for anything other than a Japanese brand, i call this ignorance.. if your Japanese cars were so great in engineering, would any one care to enlighten me why the Japs never seem to win any awards in engineering and design

Also should be noted that the Nissan VQ motor won the worlds best engine award many years in a row....

Look if you want a change in scenery go for it, I'm simply pointing out from FACTS that the recent crop of german cars such as bmw's and merc's have had questionable quality over the last few years due to their build location.

And James on re-sale value would say a euro loose more than an entry level bmw or merc in actual dollar terms.....Im not so sure....

(ie and this is completely made up...say if BMW 320 cost $50k new and resold for $30k as opp to euro cost $40 new and resold for $20k)

Gentlemen are we not missing the point:

An entry level BMW or Merc is almost as bad as owning a non turbo line...

Buying a base model 318i and calling it a luxury BMW or a C180 or whatever you settle on, these are bottom of the line "luxury" cars. The engines are tiny thats why the price is affordable.

I'll tell you why the people in Toorak/Malvern etc will look at you funny... because when he drives past you in his new SL500 or BMW 760 he will still think the same whether your in a skyline or a 318i

My 2 cents... if your going to do it, do it right

depends man...like the c200k with the amg options that I was looking at was very luxurious.

I mean, it comes down to the person really....I mean, if the toorak/malvern people look down on me for having a c200k, i wouldnt care - im gonna be 27 and if i can afford that, and thats what i like, then i will buy it. Nothing to be ashamed off when you have achieved your goals/dreams.

When I went looking for a daily, i was keen on going the slk roadster, but the c200k caught my eye cos it was more practical. Fuel efficient, 135 kw of power, leather, etc. and it looks sporty too. If you like the car, you go and buy it and not care what people think. I know many sri lankans and indians who go for the base c180 or 318 - if they like it, then they will enjoy it. But you have to buy it for the right reasons and not because it will make you look good among your peers.

Whole reason ive gone Aussie for my recent cars is there is nothing I really like coming out of Japan! Cant say im sold on the new Wrx, new Evo is nice enough but i want a proper manual 'box that isnt 5 speed & is more than i wanna spend, 350Z is a bit bland & only 2 doors, MPS isnt me... the list goes on.

Golf GTI was the only other thing I really considered.

PS Snowy, I remember sitting in the "new" Nissan GTR at Garry Rogers Nissan in 1991! I must be old! :)

Edited by RNGTR

This isn't European but in fact a Australian engineered and designed car, which also is something else to consider. the new gen will be seen on roads in couple months time, will see how it pans out.

I've read that Ford will be keeping the xr6t line even when geelong plant shuts down and the importation of alloy v6's begin in 2010, a twin turbo xr6t coupled with a 6 speed german built auto box sure does sound inciting

The new v6 is listed in Wards 10 best engines 2007 - http://wardsautoworld.com/ar/auto_wards_best_engines_12/

orionphotoshop2om2.jpg

Edited by Barbarian

Ok so your over Jap cars...It must have been a phase you were going through I guess.So what now ? Sell the skyline and turn into a full yuppie drivin the BMW? Dont forget to buy a matching hat and a pipe as well for the next match of Polo....FFS is this a Pro Skyline Forum or what ? All I am hearing is complaining...Sorry I owned one skyline and soon to buy another.I couldnt give a Rats scrotum about these yuppie cruisers...Sorry but just being honest icon7.gif