SAU Community

New Supra/lexus

Roy

Well, based on youtube footage im more excited by this footage then i was of the GTR :)

The sound and styling are very appealing. Only will it be able to match the performance of the GTR? Highly unlikely. But great sounding V10 with roll over technology from F1 means its likely to get a funky semi auto gearbox as well. But the sounds coming out of the V10!!!! I have read its about 5L.

So, will be interesting to see if its release makes a dent in the GTRs appeal?

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=87y4XWEhgfA

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow ur like 2 months behind on this - its already whooped the gt-r around the nurburgring by getting a 7.28 or something insane like that, but its an unofficial time. its a 4.8l v10 that revs to 9,000. and yes, its cooler than the gt-r, and its gonna cost more too, but guess what it gets cooler - honda are working on a new model nsx to be released in 2009-2010, same time as this weapon comes out.

Edited by izataskyrine?

If the thing is that quick then i would assume its going to be a 180-220k car? Any indication on pricing. Instantly im in love with the styling and the sound. I was expecting Nissan with a clean sheet to design to the GTR woudl come up with more modern Zed / aggressive sports car look then an angular The Thing (from Fantastic Four).

GTR = Stays true to its family genes

Supra = Has sold out cause it ain't good enough, is more German/Italian supercar than JAPANESE.

If Nissan stuck a V10 in the GTR, would anyone stand a chance?

GTR = Stays true to its family genes

Supra = Has sold out cause it ain't good enough, is more German/Italian supercar than JAPANESE.

If Nissan stuck a V10 in the GTR, would anyone stand a chance?

Maybe...but that can be taken a few ways. Nissan goes 2L in-line 6 cyl, NA RWD GTR, in a hotted up floorpan. (original sweet sounding thing it is) Then the next GTR is AWD 2.6L 6cylinder car, again modded from a mass produced chassis on through to the R34. Then a huge leap in asking price, V6 3.8L on a unique platform / chassis.

So then the Supra has always been a big rwd 6 cylinder, which grew some turbos in later years but was always built on its own platform. Now it has gone V10, and is still a big rwd car that looks to beign built on its won platform. Its had a change in engine configuration, to me its stayed just as true to its earlier generations as the GTR has. I woudl say perhaps its been more loyal?

And i dont get the Japanese v Eurpoean thing. Japanese as in computers doign tricky things with driven wheels for traction etc? Of late yes, but the R32 GTR's driveline and awd system was suspiciously similar to a certain 959 Porsche. And the old song of yanks go for displacement, Europeans use engineering and style, the Japanese functional technology etc, well the 3.8L GTR is getting up into the big displacement world of forced induction. Porcshe, Lotus etc all run smaller displacement on their twin turbo sports cars.

So, i dont see the merit in those sorts of arguments...as they all move with the times and the market they are catering to. Personally, i will lvoe to see Toyota do a number on the awd boys using a well developed rwd platform with some smarts in the traction systems learned from their years in F1 and sports cars :)

That sounds soooo f**king good!

tho doesnt sound so automatic like the gtr. really sounds like a h pattern shifter

lol what? there are no gear changes I can hear in that vid? plenty of lifting off before a corner. there was one faint up shift that sounded just like any paddle shift to me but it was very faint, and I didn't hear any down shifts.

cool car though, I will be very impressed if the production version sounds like that.

and this is the reputation out skylines have traded on for years. sure one now costs about the same as an R35 and no where near as fast, but I'd wager it's 5 times the fun. AND that is how a GTR should sound. gives me goose bumps.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=byJ5NH5t37U