SAU Community

Jim Berry Clutches

m0rt

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wake up to yourself. You cannot say that these clutches explode universally. There are thousands of happy customers running these clutches. Do a search if you need any further clarification.

Ignorant, second hand information always comes free. Whether you choose to listen to it is another thing altogether.

the only failures ive heard of have been due to the flywheel...when running a higher than STD clamp rate its advisable to have the flywheel crack tested for flaws, as they are cast iron...running a billet item with these clutches is what id recommend.

the only failures ive heard of have been due to the flywheel...when running a higher than STD clamp rate its advisable to have the flywheel crack tested for flaws, as they are cast iron...running a billet item with these clutches is what id recommend.

Unfortunately the actual pressure plate let go on the clutch mentioned above. There was also an excedy chromoly flywheel on there aswell, the only thing that stayed attached to the engine, the rest exploded and tore into a zillion pieces. It let go when the car was stationary, the revs brought up to get the MT's warm and upon the clutch engaging it exploded.

See here for details: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Cl...on-t233996.html

The only problem with jims clutches is the fact he re-uses the std cover/pressure plate which is NOT anti-burst, and IMO that just isnt good enough.

The only problem with jims clutches is the fact he re-uses the std cover/pressure plate which is NOT anti-burst, and IMO that just isnt good enough.

Horse shit. He absolutely does not re-use the std plates for appropriately specified clutch assemblies. If it was spec'd for the task at hand then it wouldn't have used a stock pressure plate and wouldn't have let go.

Sounds like someone wasn't clear with what they were doing with the clutch. Even so, freak accidents happen that are out of someone like Jim's control such as manufacturing abnormalities but no more here than for any other manufacturer.

Generic statements like the one above and the first comment made in an earlier post that implies all of these clutches explode are damaging to Jim's business and whether or not they are without basis is beside the point. It is abundantly clear from the sheer weight of numbers of people happy with their Race Clutch that they're a good thing almost all of the time.

If anyone needs further clarification, I suggest they call every clutch manufacturer they can get a hold of and ask them if they've ever had a failure. If you find one that says they haven't then I'll eat my words.

Horse shit. He absolutely does not re-use the std plates for appropriately specified clutch assemblies. If it was spec'd for the task at hand then it wouldn't have used a stock pressure plate and wouldn't have let go.

Sounds like someone wasn't clear with what they were doing with the clutch. Even so, freak accidents happen that are out of someone like Jim's control such as manufacturing abnormalities but no more here than for any other manufacturer.

Generic statements like the one above and the first comment made in an earlier post that implies all of these clutches explode are damaging to Jim's business and whether or not they are without basis is beside the point. It is abundantly clear from the sheer weight of numbers of people happy with their Race Clutch that they're a good thing almost all of the time.

If anyone needs further clarification, I suggest they call every clutch manufacturer they can get a hold of and ask them if they've ever had a failure. If you find one that says they haven't then I'll eat my words.

what else is horse shit is again ur severly un-informed and jumping to conclusions. The clutch was ordered specifically to handle 900rwhp and slick tyred drag duties also with every now and again street duties.. It failed with a measly 510rwhp and MT ET's.

The fact remains it wouldnt have exploded the way it did if an anti-burst cover/pressure plate was used.

I know theres always going to be the odd failure but if any possibility of failure can be removed and it's not (say by the use of higher grade materials), then the only person to blame is the manufacturer.

Even if communication went wrong along the lines somewhere as to what power rating and application was intended. What are the AS on clutch covers?? Personally I don't know, just wondering if anyone knows.

atempting 2 bake the tires, he fried 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, an when changing from 3rd to 4th, the tires popped,

while still burning rubber, the diff locks up at exactly the same time that everything else shatters...

imo

lol

what else is horse shit is again ur severly un-informed and jumping to conclusions. The clutch was ordered specifically to handle 900rwhp and slick tyred drag duties also with every now and again street duties.. It failed with a measly 510rwhp and MT ET's.

The fact remains it wouldnt have exploded the way it did if an anti-burst cover/pressure plate was used.

I know theres always going to be the odd failure but if any possibility of failure can be removed and it's not (say by the use of higher grade materials), then the only person to blame is the manufacturer.

I'll break this down into point form for you so it's easier to understand:

FACT:

- Not all Jim Berry clutches use remanufactured pressure plates

- A very tiny percentage of Jim's clutches have had failures

- Most of these failures have been as a result of other factors (flywheels letting go etc)

OR

improperly spec'd clutches due to customer supplying incorrect information

- Jim is one of the easiest guys to work with and actually has an interest in fixing any problems as they arrive

FICTION:

- All Jim Berry clutches explode

- All Jim Berry clutches use remanufactured pressure plates

- All Jim Berry clutches are inferior to other brands

- Jim Berry clutches are unsuitable for use with standard flywheels

- "They can't handle xxx horsepower"

============================================

The issue is with general statements that appear (to normal thinking human beings who walk upright and can walk AND chew gum) to apply to all Jim Berry clutches. It is unfair, incorrect and potentially libelous to suggest that the failures mentioned apply like this.

See? It's simple.

(to normal thinking human beings who walk upright and can walk AND chew gum at the same time)

fixed

go easy on him 2rismo...he's got issues....

not only does he have to live in QLD but he also has to put up with a car that is powered by a forklift engine.

Just like the RB30 powered heap of sh1t below

post-23582-1228353923_thumb.jpg

Edited by DiRTgarage

I'll break this down into point form for you so it's easier to understand:

FACT:

- Not all Jim Berry clutches use remanufactured pressure plates

- A very tiny percentage of Jim's clutches have had failures

- Most of these failures have been as a result of other factors (flywheels letting go etc)

OR

improperly spec'd clutches due to customer supplying incorrect information

- Jim is one of the easiest guys to work with and actually has an interest in fixing any problems as they arrive

FICTION:

- All Jim Berry clutches explode

- All Jim Berry clutches use remanufactured pressure plates

- All Jim Berry clutches are inferior to other brands

- Jim Berry clutches are unsuitable for use with standard flywheels

- "They can't handle xxx horsepower"

============================================

The issue is with general statements that appear (to normal thinking human beings who walk upright and can walk AND chew gum) to apply to all Jim Berry clutches. It is unfair, incorrect and potentially libelous to suggest that the failures mentioned apply like this.

See? It's simple.

All u achieved there was expanding ur previous post into dot form.

Should i try?

fixed

go easy on him 2rismo...he's got issues....

not only does he have to live in QLD but he also has to put up with a car that is powered by a forklift engine.

Just like the RB30 powered heap of sh1t below

aww come on pauly play nice. Maybe i should just put some HKS stickers on and then it'd be the best thing since sliced ham?

so in conclusion

2rismo is right in saying that blankets statements are bad

Shane is right in saying that this particular clutch was a massive fail considering it literally exploded in an application it was designed to handle easily

Yay every one wins

All u achieved there was expanding ur previous post into dot form.

Obviously it didn't work. If you're not going to pay attention I wont bother. It seems the user that posted "they explode" doesn't feel the need to get defensive over my post. Maybe you should follow his lead.

EDIT: Bunta, sounds good champ! :D