SAU Community

Microtech R33 Plug&Play

Thanks Freebaggin. I guess this is why many report increased fuel usage with Microtechs. I guess you could tune for economy, but who the hell would do such a thing. It sounds like a good unit, so now I just have to find a local supplier and/or tuner.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong, no way does it drink the juice, it's just worse than when I had the factory ECU installed but that being said, I now have 30 more rwkW to play, and when I play it then drinks the juice!!!

If I try and get good fuel econ (it's a daily drive car) I can still get 12-13L/100km around to and from work which is pretty good. Try that in a 5.7L V8 that has less power!

Guest Speedo

I used to have a microtech mt8 on my 200sx but it was just crap...

From time to time,the car would experience power surges and will emit black smoke...

I went to my mechanic and they tell me that Microtech is more unpredictable and that the problem was not with the tuning(he did not tune the car for me) In fact they refused to do any more microtech due to the problems....

I mean different mechanics have different feelings about products but my own experience seems to prove his point.he seem really good with his experience,good business and project cars(e.g. the 800kw ute Judge in one of the magazines....

Personally I have a few ideas of mine about ECU'S,

1.)I think ECU as the brains of the car is the most impt and should be done probably once and for all(I think aside from motec, the prices of the rest are just a few hundreds apart???

2.)The tuner is very important too.If this is badly done, the chances of busting your engine or some other stuff is higher similiar with a lousy ecu in the first place...

3.)aside from motec, My personal choice is firstly the HKS fcon pro series.Firstly they are used by the major japanese tuning companies seen in mags followed by power fc or links(I raced with a WRX with a possum bourne link and it is really good the owner swear by it

Another advantage is that the hks ones can analyse data faster than say power fc but the problems is no one seem to be able to tune it in Australia....Well if anyone know who can tune it in Melbourne,please tell me!!!

Well this is my own view please tell me what u guys think:)

As you said, you've gotta remember is that an ECU is really only as good as the guy tuning it. I've never used a Microtech ecum, but I'm sure with a good tune, they're still a very capable ECU...

Out of interest, does it have the ability to detect knock? And what's the cold start like?

I'm running a PowerFC, and to be honest, I don't know any good reason why people say they're only good for a car with mild mods. I got told by about 5 people that for the power I want, the only ecu that'd do it would be Autronic or MoTeC. Only ecu I'd take over this is the MoTeC, and that's only for the MAP+TPS ability and the extra data logging facilities.

I've got a 3ltr motor, big cams, T66, bigger injectors, etc etc etc, and i still can get 400km+ to a tank if I take it easy... Powerfc handles all these mods flawlessly.

I've attached my dyno to this so you can see that there's not one flat spot, the torque dropping off was just the turbo dropping off boost top end (avcr not set up). Oh, and that's only running 16psi.

BTW - I'm in Melbourne :)

matt

Originally posted by Speedo

Personally I have a few ideas of mine about ECU'S,

1.)I think ECU as the brains of the car is the most impt and should be done probably once and for all(I think aside from motec, the prices of the rest are just a few hundreds apart???

2.)The tuner is very important too.If this is badly done, the chances of busting your engine or some other stuff is higher similiar with a lousy ecu in the first place...

3.)aside from motec, My personal choice is firstly the HKS fcon pro series.Firstly they are used by the major japanese tuning companies seen in mags followed by power fc or links(I raced with a WRX with a possum bourne link and it is really good the owner swear by it

Another advantage is that the hks ones can analyse data faster than say power fc but the problems is no one seem to be able to tune it in Australia....Well if anyone know who can tune it in Melbourne,please tell me!!!

Well this is my own view please tell me what u guys think:)

Your right matlowth,

For the current crop of $1300-2200 ECU they're all good, but if your tuner aint switched on then the perception is that the ECU you've got is not.

Microtech has no knock sensor and cold start is fine.

Whoever told you that your gonna have to ditch the Power FC are wanking themselves, how many 600-800HP GTRs have we seen in Zoom and HPI with Power FCs! The only limiting factor might be the AFM flow restriction, but you can get a twin Apexi setup that could eleviate that anyway.

BTW, huge power youre getting! What gear was that dyno run with? Also are you running aftermarket fuel reg and what intake system do you have?

Cheers,

Freebaggin.

Exactly :)

Cool - that'd be my only concern with it then, have you invested in some aftermarket knock detection?

That run was done in 4th gear, and nahh - standard regulator, bosch fuel pump and some 550cc injectors. Intake system is a apexi pod, z32 afm, and a blitz 4" front mount. There's heaps of restrictions all over the place with my current setup, and it's still got the standard cross over intake stuff...

matt

Originally posted by Freebaggin

Your right matlowth,

For the current crop of $1300-2200 ECU they're all good, but if your tuner aint switched on then the perception is that the ECU you've got is not.  

Microtech has no knock sensor and cold start is fine.

Whoever told you that your gonna have to ditch the Power FC are wanking themselves, how many 600-800HP GTRs have we seen in Zoom and HPI with Power FCs!  The only limiting factor might be the AFM flow restriction, but you can get a twin Apexi setup that could eleviate that anyway.

BTW, huge power youre getting!  What gear was that dyno run with?  Also are you running aftermarket fuel reg and what intake system do you have?

Cheers,

Freebaggin.

Won't worry about knock detection at this stage, I'm relying on Tim @ RPM to tune enough safety in it to avoid the need. However the knock detection on the PFC is a v.good feature and I'm sure later down the track the lads at Microtech will have a module that will do the same.

Looking forward hearing how you go with improved intake system!

Yeah - That RPM place seems to be quite good from what I've heard.

probably won't be for a couple of months yet, I need bigger brakes before I look at making the car go faster :D

matt

grepin

did you say UPGRADE the Power FC?

what i know is the Power FC Pro. can go without AFM.

but if upgrading Power fc is true i am very interested,

tell me more man......

Guest turbogtst

I have an r32 gtst ecu in my my r33 gtst making 250 rwkw at 18 psi, leaves the microtech for dead in driveability, tuneability and especially fuel consumption, cant beat the factory ecu.

turbogtst,

How the hell would you know how the Microtech goes for drivability in R33s anyway?

Can you do laptop data logging??

Do you need AFM? Yes, and if you didn't have it then you probably be making more power.

Can you monitor engine functions with hand controller?

Can you control extra injectors, NOS, boost, run injectors of any resistance all controlled from the ECU?

Blow it out your arse before you make statements like "can't beat the factory ecu".

Originally posted by turbogtst

I have an r32 gtst ecu in my my r33 gtst making 250 rwkw at 18 psi,

How did you deal with VCT activation when using the R32 ECU? Did you ditch VCT or does the ECU have "spare" outputs that can be used?

Guest turbogtst

How would I know about the microtechs driveability in an R33 is because i had a MT8 in my R33 previously and the LT12 is the same computer just with a connector.

If I thought the LT12 was any good I would have one now, the laptop software looks fancy and is really good it just a pity DOM wont spend a bit more time writing decent software for the load points, they are good for all out horse power but as far as fuel economy, driveability and tuning are concerned they are crap, If you dont beleive me just wring some of the professional tuners and see what they have to say.

How many tuning points does it have, from what my MT8 manual says they have 16 points from 30" hg to 20 psi boost, the r32 gtst ecu has has 256 points, Try and get the Microtech to idle at 14.7 to 1, impossible, no probs for the factory ecu without closed looped, and i have a EUGO Air Fuel Ratio Meter so I know mine is right.

What do you need all the extra outputs for, and the r32 ecu can run either 2 or 14 ohm injectors i believe they are only 2 available.

And what about closed loop they cant even do that no wonder they use so much petrol.

Anyway I will never own another Microtech and i suggest to any one who is thinking of buying an aftermarket ecu that they buy a Haltech or Motec it is definetly worth the extra money or just stay ed with the factory ecu's and get it remapped.

I control my VCT with another board that i have installed in the ecu, but you can use a ecu out of a Z32 twin turbo as it has VCT output and can be remapped.

TurboGTST,

Just wondering, did your car come with the R32 computer, or did you do the swap/remap yourself?

And who did the remapping?

What sort of cost would people be up for for such a swap (including the VCT board you mentioned).

I had a quick look into doing a swap a while ago, but the VCT thing got me stuffed.

Any info you've got to help me out would be great.

Share your wisdom young Jedi :cool::D

Jayson