SAU Community

Rb29 Wow!

RPMGTR

Ben has tried more than 5 turbo combos on this engine alone, while logging temps and pressures.

You would be amazed at the power some of these little turbos can make.

As far as I know the turbos are off the shelf -5's.

.64 turbine housing.

I'm glad you assume the compressors wont make that much power.....apparently it is actually the turbine that is getting close to the flow limit.

Same turbos on a F355 Ferrari also make over 450kw @ wheels on only 16psi (different dyno).....

My own track car with 2.6 engine and -5's makes over 400kw @ wheels on pump.

This engine is the culmination of 8 years of Race Pace RB development.

It was built as a challenge for a stock appearing/mannered engine to have monster power and response.

In the last 12 months it has seen over 10,000km of road use and various track/tarmac rally events and is still going strong.

I want it!

what a great read this thread was - educating myself on these larger capacity rb's is very interesting & now makes more sense why the r35gtr has gone the route of increasing cc's!

after reading this thread & talking to ben from racepace...he obviously knows his engines.

i may have missed it but is this engine in a gtr with the rb26 head?

john (JFKGTR) - did u get my pm :thumbsup:

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out post number 1515 under 'got over 400 kw atw"

3.0L with -5's 404KWAW

Hardly something to compare to RPMGTR...your over 60rwkw short.

Edited by ezy_09s

Hardly something to compare to RPMGTR...your over 60rwkw short.

The thread is about big capacity RB's, he is contributing relevant data regarding a large capacity RB.

Ever heard the term STFU? :thumbsup:

The thread is about big capacity RB's, he is contributing relevant data regarding a large capacity RB.

Ever heard the term STFU? :thumbsup:

Ever heard the term GFY.

Btw this thread is about RB29 Wow.

Edited by ezy_09s

Ever heard the term GFY.

Btw this thread is about RB29 Wow.

And people reading about RB29 WOOOOWWWWW are here to say wowww look at the 2.9L go. Its perfectly relevant for someone else to give a comparison to a 3L, so that those reading this thread can make informed decisions about what they want to do with their own cars.

No need to be sour and say 'your 60kw short'. Crap like that is why there are 1000 RB30DETs on the road and only a handful of people willing to share their knowledge and experience.

Reading over this thread again really got me thinking on how Ben managed to get the results he did using pump 98 on such a low boost pressure.

You would be hard pressed even with E85 on a well sorted motor. To do it with 98 is an achievement in itself as the motor would need to be extremely knock resistant.

High(ish) comp with tricky chamber shaping would have a big part to play I think. I know its the package as a whole that makes it work but to achieve peak torque so low in the rev range and keeping it all the way over 8000rpm isnt as simple as a good exhaust/turbo combo etc.

Im sure even with a bigger turbo setup it would still blow anything out of the water response wise.

Anyone with some inside info want to share some knowledge? or is the answer going to be worth $50,000? :)

I have been thinking the very same thing NYTSKY , surely someone out there has some more inside knowledge on this combo now.

This was a V-cam setup also wasnt it , which obviously would helped greatly .

Seeing as the car with this engine is for sale, I might as well spill some of the 'Ben's secret specs'

Custom billet crankshaft 84mm stroke

Custom titanium rods

Custom forged pistons 86.5mm bore

Custom chamber/port shape

Variable cam timing

12 injectors

Thats the basics, Im sure there are lots more tricks in there.

???

I was reading about the new version of the HKS Vcam system last night. This is probably old technology for all I know...

http://www.nengun.com/hks/valcon-ii-rb26-v-cam-system

It seems like an easy way to go to get the wide power band without having to engineer your own VVT system. This setup, some step 1 springs and a ported head is looking to be the top end recipe for my next engine.

It's a bad comparison.

Clearly he came here to big note himself (why else would you thread dig)...

Read the 400kw thread for more details if you really wanna get into it.

Please read the thread in 400 kW.

I posted the link to get a reaction. Was not expecting a bad one.

I have no axe to grind, just want to share my experience on the best GTR forum in the world.

I guess the comparison I can make is I spent about $14,500, all work done by others.

I now have close to a brand new motor, new turbos. Surely this is valuable to others.

I had the opportunity to purchase a built bottom end from ben at racepace in 2009 but I missed out by 1 day. It was only advertised for a few days, he had high demand but then he sold racepace from what I heard?

Gasco123 - Greg at pro engines is a good guy as he ended up building my 3ltr and I too had very good results