SAU Community

My Cai Box

GTS4-32

Hey guys, i recently got inspired in the Queensland section when i noticed 1C3B3RG made his cai box with insulation.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ai...&hl=air+box

Always wanted to do it but didnt have the time, last week i gave it a crack with my old man and it turned out really well, better than we thought.

I went down to Bunnings and got myself 0.5mm aluminum sheet and insulation sheet from Clark rubber.

Got home and made myself a cardboard diagram to make sure i get the right measurements etc. After about 15min of playing with it i got a perfect cut for the side. If you have piping thats similar to my setup you may want to put insulation sheet in the gaps here to reduce the heat coming in. For example:

post-10027-1204538007_thumb.jpg post-10027-1204538036_thumb.jpg

I then traced it onto the aluminum sheet and cut it away with tin snips.

I also put protective rubber on the edges which u could also get from Clark rubber, just protects it from scratching surroundings and also makes it look neater. Example:

post-10027-1204538049_thumb.jpg post-10027-1204538067_thumb.jpg

Once it was in and sitting perfect, i sized out the top cover and did the exact same steps. Once that was done i pop riveted them together so it was complete. Then to finish it off i cut out the insulation sheet to the right shape and glued it on with heat resistant glue which i also purchased from Bunnings.

PICS: post-10027-1204538079_thumb.jpg post-10027-1204538092_thumb.jpg post-10027-1204538106_thumb.jpg post-10027-1204538120_thumb.jpg post-10027-1204538142_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest tosboost2

i did this one today. its pretty cheap.

only cost me $25.80 for 0.5mm aluminium sheet which was 600x1m unfortunatly clarks rubber wasn't open so couldn't get the rubber edging.

will post up some pics in the morning

Dam thats pretty tough might give this a try! Could this also hid my boost controller solenoid? Do you guys reckon cops would bother going through it or na! dam i cant wait to do it! Does it actually make a diffrence from the heat?

Thanks guys. Yea its great, Ive just opened my cai to a 100mm hole and my pod is sitting right above it, so its gathering a shit load of cold air. i feel its more responsive in mid range but nothing to dramatic, but its good to know that its sucking cold air from outside and not engine heat.

geraus- if you read through my 1st post it gives a brief way of how i made mine but if u want full details i got mine from the link i provided on the top my page. :nyaanyaa:

RusH_- the rubber edging stuff cost about $7 for a foot at clarks rubber.

R-SPEC- I struggled to find time for mine let alone urs mate, lol. Its very simple though dude, u can do it, just finds some time and dont be lazy, lol.

Cheers,

Steve.

Oh ok man its so good, im still confused and im deciding which way i want to do it, I want to do yours i think! it looks so mad and professional!... I'l try it and tell you guys the outcome.. Thanks so much man! sorry 1 last question which is confusing.. me.. The bunnings warehouse part... So do i go in there and ask for metal? i duno which metal? theres heaps.. ithnk?

Oh ok man its so good, im still confused and im deciding which way i want to do it, I want to do yours i think! it looks so mad and professional!... I'l try it and tell you guys the outcome.. Thanks so much man! sorry 1 last question which is confusing.. me.. The bunnings warehouse part... So do i go in there and ask for metal? i duno which metal? theres heaps.. ithnk?

Just ask for an Alluminium sheet of 0.5mm thickness. Then you can choose how large you want the sheet to be as they've got cuts already made.

Well done on the effort again Steve :( Very neat and looks professional. I'm changing mine to just the side heat shield - decided not to make a top cover as i can't be bothered. BTW i might need to borrow a drill off ya :)

Cheers,

Steve.

GTS4-32 - thanks dude :)

when u go into bunnings, ask them for "0.5mm aluminium sheeting" they generally have them pre cut to certain sizes, i got one thas about 600mm x 900mm, more than enough cost about $25

edit: damnit, R32 GODZILLA beat me to it :(

Edited by RusH_

MunkybOy- yea i guess itll be a little better but doesnt look all that great. Looks so much better hidden. Still keeps it reasonably cool on the inside though. After a long drive the other day which was like 40degrees, i took the box off and sussed out the heat of the pod and the temp of the inside of the box. The outside of the box was hot but the inside was only slightly warm, not enough to have heat extracting from it though.

i used the tin snips, i found it was easier around corners etc, just follow ur lines. Then when its cut out, any bends that u may have caused on the corner cuts, just hammer it down with a rubber mallet or sumthin.

mmm thats very tuff, looks heaps neat

I think I might make one of these this weekend and do a CAI duct fom the front bar - been meaning to do it for ages but never get the time

Long weekend should get it done hopefully - very nice work mate