My Cai Box

GTS4-32

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a little question i hope someone can answer for me! regarding cold air boxes and CAI's etc so here we go..

If your like me and dont like the return pipe over the radiator etc, and want to keep the stock piping, then your CAI feed holes are well and truly plugged up already.

So in a S2 R33, where would i get a CAI feed from? The stock snorkel is an option if im clever enough to make something up, but the way i see it is the stock airbox is sealed right, so its acually SUCKING the air through the snorkel, its not actually being fed/rammed, thus because the bonnet closes over it and it looses its direct feed to the outside air.

In the case of a home built un-sealed CAB then the snorkel becomes useless, because it cannot have air rammed into it while driving. Thus returning to the problem of the hot air being drawn in from under the wall of the CAB.

Im at a loss :rofl: Please enlighten me!

My old Integra Type , i had the pod in the bumper, and the intake pipe was ice cold right to the throttle body regardless of driving conditons too. Wish i could do this!

Your best option for colder air induction would be to open up a hole right under your pod and grab a pipe that bends out to your front bar.

I just opened up my hole to a 100mm and directed a 125mm pipe straight to my hole in the front bar, so it rams cold air straight in my box packed and ready for the pod to suck up. If you'd like, i could take some pics of how i did it to give you a better idea?

Sure that would be great if its not to much hassle!

I was just trying to avoid the idea of having to cut any part of the car. But at the moment my Apexi Pod just sucks in pure oven temeratures ha. Seems to go all right tho, the R34 SMIC is red hot after a good "spirited" drive, so its doing its job.

i found the same thing with the snorkel. air isnt forced in, but rather sucked in. so the boxed pod using the factory snorkel isnt going to work too well. i realised this after i got my hands on a snorkel and saw how tucked away it is from any forced airflow.

i also noticed my r34smic was getting way too hot after some decent boosting. thats why i changed to a front mount. you really dont want it to be getting that stupidly hot, coz then it wont be cooling too well.

Edited by Munkyb0y

hey gotrice,

I have found with my cai and heatsheild that there is a good amount of cold air going into the engine, and I am sure that gts432 could back that up with his setup... i spoze you could say with a custom made cai.... the air isn't forced into the heatsheild as such, more so guided, so that the pod then has cool air to suck in that is around it in the heatsheild.... I don't believe "ramming" air into the intake would make any considerable difference anyway.. the intake can only take so much... if you want to look at a full cai setup however, start to finish... check the tut i made in the main tut page...

Regards,

Adam

• 5 months later...

The problem I had, was after I installed my FMIC the stock air box was sucking the air straight from the hot engine because the factory snorkel didn't fit with them pipes in the way, so I got a pod.

I didn't have much room for securing the pod, so if the cops saw it they give me a sticker. So I wanted to get a Cold airbox but they were $250+ for one that might not even fit + they looked like shit.

post-47680-1222162624_thumb.jpg

post-47680-1222162637_thumb.jpg

post-47680-1222162648_thumb.jpg

post-47680-1222162658_thumb.jpg

I made it outa galvanized iron, primed it, Finished it with 'VHT Wrinkle paint' baked in the oven, 'K+H underbody deadner' underneath for sound proofing and Clark rubber "pinchweld" around the edges.

6 month from the dead! LOL.

So anyway i now have a Blitz LM front mount, and still have the same problem with having nowhere to draw cold air from.

Might have to get it up on the hoist and see if theres any way of doing this.

Yeah, I didn't want to make a new thread.

My Intercooler gave me a hole to utilize under the pod because the Intercooler only uses one of the two factory holes. I'll get some of the drainage PVC off the back of the ute, stick it in the whole, seal it up, then put a 90 degree bend on it and put a L.I.T. on that to act as an air scoop. then paint it. Should cost about $7 all up, lol

And how long does it take to make one?

Im not to handy with fabricating stuff but im a quick learner.

And one quick question, my Pod filter and Intake pipe dont fully reach the right hand side of my Engine bay. So basically the box is either going to be a little bit bigger to reach the Pod or i will need to extend the intake pipe. And if i need to extend it, how will i go about doing that ?

One more thing, i want to funnel air from the front bar to the CAI box. I know i will need piping but what sort of funnel will i need and how will i mount it?

MRXTCZ

I'm jealous of all your airboxes.. they look awesome.

I'm hoping someone would post some cad drawings or scan in the dimensions of the cutouts to make a template.. that'd make it easier for all us diy'ers.

easy mate.. take multiple scans and mark out with a sticky tape or pen numbers from 1-10 (at like 1-2cm intervals), then stitch it all together in photoshop. I'll help you with the stitching if you like, and can even do up a 3d cad/sketchup model so everyone can benefit from it :)

I scanned in my entire from east bear lip that way using an A4 scanner :banana:

Woahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! thats full technical haha.

Well if i end up making up a template of the RB25DE Neo CAI Box i will definately PM you and we'll work on it.

Just Jap, i just called Just Jap and its $149 for the R34 one.

It comes in black. Hopefully it fits fine :banana:

MRXTCZ

Took me about 2 hours to design and fabricate,

Mind you I've got a fair bit of experience with sheet metal and spray paint. Plus I had access to a large sheet metal bender

OR just take a good template and your car to a sheet metal place and they'll probably cut it out and bend it for you for a carton of piss.

• 2 weeks later...