SAU Community

Tiptronic Or Manual?

kombi86

im in the process of buying a stagea but not sure weather to get a manual or a tiptronic can anyone help me with this.i have know idea of of the performance of a tiptronic?is it just better to gor for a manual??i hate auto's but with the tiptronic it might be ok??

can anybody help me?

cheers

what model stagea?

if its the M35, then assuming its got the same gearbox at my auto V35 (i think it is) then i can say its nothing like older auto's, its a far superior piece of kit well worth consideration

it actually sounds and feels like driving a manual, not like a normal auto

the tiptronic is a very nice piece of kit

if you're talking about an older stagea then i cannot comment

remember that 99% of the comments you will hear about autoamtics are from people with a manual car that have not driven the car/gearbox you are interested in and are just jumping in with the usual "auto's suck" comments. want some real advice? speak to someone who has driven exactly what you're after.

cheers,

Warren

• 1 month later...

Tiptronic if you're a city driving person..

Manual if you're going to be around the bends alot..

If it were an R35 GTR you'd have no choice but to go tiptronic :D

Another thing to consider, a manual box is 100x times easier and cheaper to repair if something goes wrong, those tiptronic boxes can be quite complicated so I would cringe at the cost of fixing something! If your buying a car that is reaching 10 years old, your bound to hit a few problems along the way.

• 3 months later...

i have an auto s2 triptonic, when using the manual shifting via the gear stick i have noticed there is a slight lag in the gear change. but with the s2's dunno about s1's .. but u can opt to change gears via thumb shifts on the steering wheel (silver in pic) which are faster in selection some how .. good for straght drags .

one bad thing i have noticed about the s2 is when in drive you will have to drive like a grandma to stay off boost (2,500rpm) due to the ceramic wheel they spool faster and sooner. so any kind of pressure it will jump into boost range but thats also good if u like the response which it has.

if flat foot or the line little bit laggy until around 20-30kph then its off once it hits 100kph watch the speedo soar to 140-150 then change gears again and its off the clock

im really impressed with the power and response in the car overall, shocks a heap of holden drivers who line me up at the lights after reading my plates (rbpowa)

in the end its what u really want to drive day to day, this is not my daily driver, if it was for me personally i think i would get sick of the Manual

hope this helps in your selection, i say test drive ... find a nice manual one your willing to hand over money for ..and a auto .. your first taste or either will have your mind set i.e torque, response, lag, all that, just compare

Cheers TJ

post-16976-1220526108_thumb.jpg

Yeah, best to test drive both and form your own opinion for what you will use the car for..

I had a 04 Sonata ( I know, don't hang me..It was a family car) with tiptronic/selectronic (whatever they called it) and was ok in the fact you could hold in gear as long as you wanted but when you did change it still had that lag that auto's do.

It really is one of those times you have to drive both and decide for yourself..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I have a tiptronic I quite like it, would like to have a full manual aswell but tbh they both have their pro's and con's. Automatic tiptronic is actually quicker for shifting however a manual is better when you put the power to the ground.

i have a stagea with tip tronic on wheel and the detents to shift with the leaver (+ or -).

i always owned a manual car with heavy clutches and the like (still do). but i got the s2 over the s1 stagea because of the shifting options and because the fiance only drives an auto

personally i find the wheel buttons to be useless and there is a delay in the shift. i prefer using the actual selector in the console especially on twisty roads - i guess it goes back to prefering manuals

on a hills run where you ride the boost and drive 80% (which is still damn fast) it is nice to just flick the leaver to change gears and not do accidental shift to 1st or "n" like in average autos which leave you fumbeling half way through a corner trying to look at the leaver and determine wft you just did - although you can still do the 2, 3, D, if you wish

if you wanted to push it and involve yourself in the driving experience then manual is definately the way to go. but sometimes this is just not practical for everyday use, just those select t1mes you drive 100% which realistically should only be on a track...

saving that, having an auto is handy - just put your foot down and the car will figure it out, long drives or heavy traffic are no fuss, car can be driven by anyone - i usually just leave it in "d" for drag racing mode and i find it doesn't matter

i love manuals and prefer them to a sloshamatic anyday, but the tip tronic is a good halfway point.

also i think the s2 manuals come with a guage cluster in the centre console but most auto's dont, because you need an rs4v or something, the standard rs4 comes in auto only. not having a oil pressure guage and boost guage sux and aftermarket ones tend to look a bit tacky.

best to put your bum in the seat and try yourself.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...