SAU Community

Looking At A Coupe 350gt

my questions may sound stupid so apologies in advance:

1. advantage of importing vs buying already registered in australia?

2. when it comes to servicing/repair, is it cheap? does parts have to imported as well? maybe 350Z parts are usable?

3. what insurance companies are used? I'm currently using CGU and I somehow doubt the 350GT is in the list (at least on the online application)?

4. any idea on the weight of the thing? just want to compare it to the 350z.

5. is it possible to replace the japanese dashboard with english ones? :D

6. if buying locally, what papers should I looking for? I suppose there would be papers for compliance, import tax, shipping costs + the usual car registration and do a revs check? anything else?

7. does compliance test for things like: does the airbag works and etc?

8. if importing, who is the recommended importer? I am looking at prestige motors right now though I'm not sure if they're the best.

9. the maps can be upgraded to local?

10. how about the TV? how can I watch local channels? I suppose japan uses NTSC?

11. do these come with airbag? can I use the specs off a infinity g35?

any other tips/suggestions?

thank you very much for the help :)

Edited by jarthel

Buying locally is easier more hassle free.

The TV and Nat sav can be translated if you are in Brisbane Chris Roger from Audio express can do the conversions.

Some parts on V35 are intergated with 350z parts but they are fairly new car you shouldnt have any problems with them.

importing = cheaper, but riskier as you can't see or drive the car apart from pictures on the internet

you can save quite a few thousand $$ by importing

buying locally gives you the option to drive and review it as you would any other car, but colours are limited and optional extras are limited

2. when it comes to servicing/repair, is it cheap? does parts have to imported as well? maybe 350Z parts are usable?

mechanical parts are easy to get as they share engine/gearbox/suspension with the 350z

body panels are harder to get

the cheapest way is to get them from the USA using companies like http://www.everythingg35.com

3. what insurance companies are used? I'm currently using CGU and I somehow doubt the 350GT is in the list (at least on the online application)?

i am with just car and had no issues getting it insured

1400kgs maybe?

i was under the assumption it was pretty close, if not the same as the 350z, as it uses the same chassis, engine, gearbox, etc.

5. is it possible to replace the japanese dashboard with english ones? :down:

the only things in japanese are the navigation buttons and the navigation display

buttons can be replaced at a cost.. see http://www.audioexpress.com.au

in about 2 months the navigation will be able to show english when we have that sorted

6. if buying locally, what papers should I looking for? I suppose there would be papers for compliance, import tax, shipping costs + the usual car registration and do a revs check? anything else?

have you bought a car before?

everything is exactly the same except no log books usually. just look the car over - is it in good condition?

a car is unroadworthy without a working airbag and they show errors if they aren't working

8. if importing, who is the recommended importer? I am looking at prestige motors right now though I'm not sure if they're the best.

do a search on the forums there are many importers out there.. jspec, prestige, etc.

10. how about the TV? how can I watch local channels? I suppose japan uses NTSC?

no, the standard navigation does not work here in australia. again, if you have read any of hte threads in this section you will know this.

you can upgrade to a different navigation system which uses the stock screen if you want to, see http://www.audioexpress.com.au

same as for the nav.. will need to use a new TV unit

you get 2 front, 2 side, and 2 curtain airbags

my best advice is to read - there is so much info on this forum.

go into each thread in this section and read it through, write down any info you think is good

if you had read you will find that you would have answered ALL your questions already. plus, you would have even more info for yourself!

go the V35, you won't be dissappointed!

cheers,

Warren

who is we? are you somehow connected to audio express?

thank you very much :down:

"we" = the collective efforts of the akylines australia crew

personally, i have nothing to do with it!

you need no additional documents when buying an import

all you need to register it is the engine number and vin number

if its in australia on the road then its legal

or if you buy from a dealership they do everything for you!

Importing may save you more money but you run the risk of having damage done to the car during transport as well as buying cars unseen and only relying on verbal description of some supplier in Japan, regardless how good their reputation is, a verbal description can sometimes be subjective.

Regular oil change should be just as any other car. You can get battery locally, air filter, oil filter. 350Z parts can be fitted but only limited to engine parts, suspension, and braking. Exhaust from 350Z can be used but need to be extended as the 350Z wheelbase is shorter. Get it insured on the road, so in case you need some imported parts after an accident e.g. headlights, fenders, body work etc it will be covered by your insurer.

Just Cars, Shannons, some people can insure imports through Suncorp Metway, Young and Cool but you gotta be under certain age etc.

Not on top of my head but roughly about 1560kg perhaps.

5. is it possible to replace the japanese dashboard with english ones? :down:

Nope. Premium model's TV/Nav Buttons if you mean can be replaced with US model but need someone like Chris Roger to re-wire it and fiddle with it as it's not a straightaway conversion. But the japanese software stays. There is a talk about getting a russian company to translate it but looks like it is still about half a year away at least before something is really happening. In the meantime if you want your TV & navi on premium model to work, you can get a locally tuned TV tuner & navigation installed and the input is via the TV/Aux. works for mine

compliance plate if done is now a sticker stuck on the b-pillar, usual spot. to register it first time in AUS you only need a copy of Consumer Information Notice provided by the RAWS workshop, here in VIC, Vicroads don't need to see the import approval if the compliance is done by a RAWS (registered Automotive workshop) and not a privately imported car (e.g. someone living in japan 12 months+ and bring the car back under personal import scheme).

Plus roadworthy certificate RWC, and that's all. If the car hasn't been registered in Australia before then REVS check is not gonna show up anything.

Not sure, I don't think so. it mainly involving changing the mirrors to flat glass, replace tyres and brake pads with new parts, ensureing exhaust, engine etc is not modified, headlihght conversion as the japanese fitted HID is not considered ADR approved, seatbelts, child seat anchor, etc. It doesn't check whether your electrical is working or not.

IMHO every importer has good story, has bad story too. problem with bad story is it is sometimes exaggerated as it passed along so at the end of the day/month/year it can be quite hard to filter out what's really happening with a bad case unless you talk directly to the person involved.

But I used prestige before and it's good and I will use him again.

Nope but an Australian navigation solution can be installed and input through the factory TV display. see answer 5

see answer 5, get a digital tv tuner that can output as NTSC

Yes. driver, passenger and side airbags. not sure about G35 items. they are similar but not all parts bolt on, remember g35 in USA is left hand drive, ours is right hand drive.

actually IF you import the car I can do most of the work needed at compliance IF it is put through one of the workshops that I service here in brisbane.

the menus are in the process of translation the NAV WILL NOT work here (no maps) so that needs to be converted. TV is in an ENTIRELY different format so its a no go. (I'm fiddling with it but really do not expect a good result.)

the rest of it is no problem.

car is a great driver and if you buy a 6sp one get a second licence while you are at it. they are far from slow. the auto is quite good and intuitive.

actually IF you import the car I can do most of the work needed at compliance IF it is put through one of the workshops that I service here in brisbane.

the menus are in the process of translation the NAV WILL NOT work here (no maps) so that needs to be converted. TV is in an ENTIRELY different format so its a no go. (I'm fiddling with it but really do not expect a good result.)

the rest of it is no problem.

car is a great driver and if you buy a 6sp one get a second licence while you are at it. they are far from slow. the auto is quite good and intuitive.

1. nav needs to be converted? do you mean ripped out and replaced with something like a VDO-dayton/Pioneer in dash setup?

2. what do you mean by 2nd license? license to drive?

3. when importing vehicles, what's the normal costs for compliance (excluding headlights + new tires)?

4. when importing them, is there a specific port where they send it? like all ships from japan carrying cars land at port of brisbane or sydney or melbourne?

thank you very much

1. if you want. I do something entirely different then in dash screens.

2. the car is quite easy to get a ticket in.

3. depends - ring a few of them that are listed on teh DOTARS webiste. in brisbane they are : ISASO,Shogun,NIZMO,SHAMOND. of those I recommend ISASO. I do the conversion work for that one.

4. you specify that when it ships.

I would have a good read of teh DOTARS site www.dotars.gov.au and search for importing vehicles. a good broker will take care of most of this anyway.

1. if you want. I do something entirely different then in dash screens.

2. the car is quite easy to get a ticket in.

3. depends - ring a few of them that are listed on teh DOTARS webiste. in brisbane they are : ISASO,Shogun,NIZMO,SHAMOND. of those I recommend ISASO. I do the conversion work for that one.

4. you specify that when it ships.

I would have a good read of teh DOTARS site www.dotars.gov.au and search for importing vehicles. a good broker will take care of most of this anyway.

please be patient :)

I am unsure of your answer in 1 and 2. what is a 2nd license? with your nav conversion, do you need to replace any parts?

thanks again :)

what he means is the car has a lot of power, it's very easy for impatient drivers (or anyone who cannot control the urge to go fast) getting themselves into trouble for speeding, and lost their driving license.